Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Spotfree

OMG the spiders..
« on: September 12, 2019, 02:33:26 pm »
This year the spiders are taking over the windows, all my brushes are covered in webs I'm constantly cleaning them.

I have just had to come home and fill up my 650ltr tank as I've used it all already today on a particularly bad round that backs onto fields.

The webs stick to everything and everything sticks to them, I'm having a nightmare with them this year has been horrendous.

I'm thinking of spraying some saltwater or essential oils around the frames to keep the blighters away, anyone tried something like?

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: OMG the spiders..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »
Yep.  The spiders seems to be all over me too.  Always feeling a tickle or two.  And sometimes see one coming down from the peak of my cap.

Monday I opened my van door to start my week only to put my head through a load of webs in my cab.   Turned and saw a massive spider on the dash. 

I am not embarrised to admit it, but they give me scare or two.  I hate them.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 03:27:14 pm »
spiders are on windows and frames  all year round,i too have lots of work that back onto farmers  fields.......its normal!ive never used 650L by 230pm though.....(500L tank).... ;D
price higher/work harder!

andyM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 03:41:15 pm »
Yeah I've noticed it's got bad in the last couple of weeks.
Had one in particular this morning (2 monthly) which was horrendous!
One of the Plebs

Plankton

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 03:47:26 pm »
Garden spiders?
There everywhere up here, few years back before I knew what it was I had a mammoth one on my shed and loads of little yellow mini one's hanging off the shed had just hatched or something, I shat it and grabbed a can of deodorant and flame throwered the shts.
Fook having them turn into the big one, it would have been like a horror movie... But with harmless spiders!

Plankton

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:59 pm »
I know a window cleaner who would rather leave a window rather than clean it with a spider on it  ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »
I did once have a customer run out and had a big rant at me about detroying a spider and it's web on a window.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 05:17:35 pm »
I'm finding a high level of flies in rural areas around farms with cattle.
It's a game of three halves!

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 05:55:00 pm »
I did once have a customer run out and had a big rant at me about detroying a spider and it's web on a window.

I seem to get the opposite. Some of my customers seem to think window cleaning includes free pest control where spiders are concerned and if I don’t get rid of the webs they get funny with me. I have to explain in no uncertain terms that I’m not a pest controller but a window cleaner. Windows and frames and that’s it
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

zesty

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 06:00:15 pm »
It’s normal at this time of year, every September/October the garden orb spiders make there webs.

It is spider season!

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »
I cant stand the little barsterds they scare the crap out of me ;D

Ive seen some right evil looking ones this year  :D 

Windy Miller

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:13 pm »
I'm finding a high level of flies in rural areas around farms with cattle.
Same here, the worst are those persistent little blighters who seem to attack relentlessly from your first to last window! I'd have spiders any day over the flies.

robbo333

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 09:56:33 pm »
I knocked on a custys door yesterday and a giant beetle opened it, It had a right go at me!
Apparently there's a nasty bug going round!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 09:41:17 am »
Im not a fan of spiders but at the same time im not scared of them lol. Whereas the wife and kids are, the kids will come running in from outside, screaming like a masked murderer is chasing them!
Regardless of how many times i hold a spider, or help them to realise that us humans are big, spiders are small!  We can squish spiders very easily and spiders can not not crush us! (Talking uk spiders / house spiders)

Yet it seems like we have some grown adults, who wouldnt think twice of confronting another person! Yet a tiny weeney hairy spider can make them quake in their boots  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 09:47:10 am »
Im not a fan of spiders but at the same time im not scared of them lol. Whereas the wife and kids are, the kids will come running in from outside, screaming like a masked murderer is chasing them!
Regardless of how many times i hold a spider, or help them to realise that us humans are big, spiders are small!  We can squish spiders very easily and spiders can not not crush us! (Talking uk spiders / house spiders)

Yet it seems like we have some grown adults, who wouldnt think twice of confronting another person! Yet a tiny weeney hairy spider can make them quake in their boots  ;D
I'm not afraid to admit they terrify me ;D

Think it's due to growing up with a mum who's a arachnaphobiac ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 09:55:33 am »
My ex wife would freeze if she saw a spider.  When she was a wee kid, a so called friend grabbed her hand and made her splat a spider with it.  Since then shes had a real problem with spiders,  but gradually she got much better because of our little children at the time. She didnt want them to have a phobia of them, just because she did.  In the end she would catch them in a glass cup and show them to the kids, before releasing them outside over the fence in neighbours garden 😂.
Once the kids saw this and went back to playing , she would hide in bathroom and have a little melt down at what shes just done, before pulling it around.  Today, she still hates spiders but no where near the extent she once did.

Me, if i find a monster spider when cleaning the windows, i would drop another smaller spider onto the web and watch with fascination the result
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:42 am »
Serial killer in the making^

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 11:15:14 am »
Serial killer in the making^

I thought the same when i was typing it  ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

mufcglen

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:24 pm »
Does anyone find when scrubbing the webs off the glass that the lighter you scrub the easier it comes off, I’m using a supreme flocked for everyday cleans and if I press hard while scrubbing it eventually comes off but if I very gently brush them like almost just roughing the bristles on the glass the cobwebs come straight off!
Just something I noticed a few years ago and seems to work for me with anything stubborn!

P @ F

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:41 pm »
You need to get out more  ;D ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 09:28:59 pm »
I will try it though as I scrub like a loon and they don’t budge  ???
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Pete Thompson

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 01:04:05 am »
I live in a rural area, surrounded by fields, farms forests etc. Spiders are a problem all year round.
They get worse in the late summer-early autumn.

The spiders themselves are not too much of a problem, as soon as you wet the window they start abseiling out of the way. Webs too, are easy to deal with.

It’s the spider nests that are the worst, right in the corner of windows and stuck like superglue. Hot water really helps, along with a brisk side-to-side motion with the brush.

My technique is this: clean the frames first, the spider webs will get on the brush, but can easily be brushed off in one clump by just rubbing the brush against the wall. That works best with rendered walls.

Wash the frames, the glass, and the sills. If spiders are anywhere else, then they are left where they are. As someone else rightly said, we’re not in the pest control business.

The worst type of houses for spiders are those with rendered walls and wooden frames.

I’ve no idea why rendered walls seem to attract spiders, maybe their little legs can walk over them more easily. No idea!

But my most important tip is to price them in. It takes extra time dealing with spider webs, make sure to account for them when quoting.

Ooooooog

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 08:39:33 am »
With spider nests in corner, I just use my finger.

Slacky

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 09:16:35 am »
Does anyone find when scrubbing the webs off the glass that the lighter you scrub the easier it comes off

Yes, just a flick is all most need.

mufcglen

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2019, 09:27:11 am »

I do that sometimes when the brush can’t quite dig them out but do you find they pop sometimes when you press them with your finger😂😂

Spotfree

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2019, 10:24:47 am »
A microfibre cloth wiped over a web that's stuck on glass takes it off effortlessly on the first pass.

I can scrub the same web for minutes with any brush you like, natural fibre, hog hair, DuPont its all the same.

All brushes are limited to their abilities.

I find the microfibre on the wagtail high flyer to be the best I've ever used, it's such a shame we can't have a brush with some kind of microfibre incorporated into it. A bit like the reach it constructor with all the add ins but more practical for every day use and suited to the uk market. Now that would be an ultimate brush.

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2019, 11:36:11 am »
Look at my lovely silky hair, you wont get bald cleaning windows

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 12:05:03 pm »
A microfibre cloth wiped over a web that's stuck on glass takes it off effortlessly on the first pass.

I can scrub the same web for minutes with any brush you like, natural fibre, hog hair, DuPont its all the same.

I find the microfibre on the wagtail high flyer to be the best I've ever used, it's such a shame we can't have a brush with some kind of microfibre incorporated into it. A bit like the reach it constructor with all the add ins but more practical for every day use and suited to the uk market. Now that would be an ultimate brush.

i think the quicker you move over to hot water cleaning the better mate......itll help your cleaning for sure....
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:17 pm »

i think the quicker you move over to hot water cleaning the better mate......itll help your cleaning for sure....

You can hear the spiders scream with the hot water torture.

colin bird

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 05:21:38 am »
I'm in West Sussex,there  appears to be more spiders this year than I can remember in previous years

SB Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 12:32:21 pm »

will it fooook ;D

Spotfree

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 08:05:13 pm »

Go Go gadet arms??