Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CLEANCARE WC

How to remove tree sap on solar panels?
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:22:09 pm »
Hi everyone I did a solar panel clean this morning and a tree overhangs some of the panels, these are stained by tree sap or something? can you recommend a safe cleaning agent to assist in cleaning? deionised water alone is not cutting it
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

robbo333

Re: How to remove tree sap on solar panels?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 05:52:03 pm »
I approached this problem from a slightly different angle.

Rather than throwing chemicals at it, I got an old brush and cut the bristles down to around 25mm.

This produces a brush with far better scrubbing power (a bit like a toothbrush).  It's not a definitive answer, but definitely works better.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 05:53:08 pm »
TFR on a pad

Hypo will also do it if you feed it through a backpack

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 07:25:36 pm »
You’ll void the warranty if you use chemicals.

Ralphie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:44:47 pm »
Remove the tree!!!!!

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:20:56 pm »
You’ll void the warranty if you use chemicals.
::)roll

Here we go, just like the hypo thread ....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:29:20 pm »
As has been said using any chemicals will void the warranty and you could fund yourself being held responsible fir replacement costs . We use hot water and never had a problem removing anything from panels even large lickens come off with hot

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »
they are glass - what, tfr or any glass cleaner is going to ruin them  ::)roll

yes they are so delicate I wouldn't use them outside where the weather might damage them

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »
they are glass - what, tfr or any glass cleaner is going to ruin them  ::)roll

yes they are so delicate I wouldn't use them outside where the weather might damage them

Darran

Ime only telling you what the manufacturers say I have it in writing from when we used to do tens of thousands of panels for them , we even had regular water samples tested by them as well   . I decided to stop doing work for them last year as the profit margins were so small and the distances we were traveling made it more trouble than it was worth .

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 10:29:57 am »
I've only done a couple of low jobs where was easy to scrub and rinse with cold water system. Some had birds mess and I sprayed some diluted flash on the brush first. Can't speak for heavily deposited tree sap but I'd be inclined to turn it down unless I had hot water and was a service I was wishing to expand.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 02:11:48 pm »
I get on well with a local installer - they say unless its acid you can't damage them - they even got some out and drove their 4x4 over them - not even a scratch.

some of these 'manufacturer' warranties are just their to stop people claiming against them for faulty products - as said we use tfr no probs - even pressure washed a 1000+ array with no ill effects

best advice - if your not sure you can/want to clean them DONT

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 02:23:03 pm »
I get on well with a local installer - they say unless its acid you can't damage them - they even got some out and drove their 4x4 over them - not even a scratch.

some of these 'manufacturer' warranties are just their to stop people claiming against them for faulty products - as said we use tfr no probs - even pressure washed a 1000+ array with no ill effects

best advice - if your not sure you can/want to clean them DONT

I totally agree with what you have said ime just telling you what the manufacturer said to us and what is contained in the contract , that we had to sign when doing work for them , I did raise these issues with them and they said only pure water to be used end off
Darran