This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stephen burton

Pole spinning
« on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:53 pm »
I have a Gardiner slx 25, it’s about 2 years old, it’s starting to twist and spin more frequently is it time to buy a new one or can it be repaired cheap enough before buying a new one?

dazmond

Re: Pole spinning
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:24 pm »
just clamp it up an inch or 2 and tighten the clamp up a bit....if its still spinning id just buy a new one.....
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:09 pm »
is it spinning in the closed position (where each section is at its shortest) - if so, open up the section and run your thumb nail from the clamp towards the next section have you got a step/ridge about 1" away from the clamp ?

if so heat the clamp gently to release the glue and pull off clamp - cut off about 1.5 inches (40mm) from the end of the section and re-glue clamp - this should sort it - I use a 1mm wide grinding disc

if it spins in various positions you may need new shims in the clamp lever assembly

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:48:11 pm »
Same here, getting to the point where I need to sort it out. At the shortest point, about an inch from the clap is worn so I'll be taping it off and spraying a couple of coats of lacquer, dry In-between and should be ok.

Granny

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 06:14:18 am »
Alex did a video a while back showing how to build up the worn section with epoxy resin. I've done it several times, it's easy. It might be on Gardiner's website.

Plankton

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:48:18 am »
I'll have a look, suppose it would be a lot harder waring.

H MAN

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:14 am »
Try this great find.
I didn't even prep my clx pole first just alcohol wiped it.
We've been using it for 2 months & smashing it every day.
 Sometimes the poles scrape along gutters & tbh there are places where chips & scrapes are coming off.
Next time I would do better prep & maybe an under coat.
But that pole was unusable before because of wear & it's a great maintenance thing to save clamp wear etc.
https://www.holden.co.uk/p/step_3_kbs_rustseal_silver_us_8_oz_

Windy Miller

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:05:46 pm »
Get a can of clear lacquer for car bodywork and build it up using coats of it instead of faffing around with epox resin.. Cheap as chips and does a fantastic job, one of the best things you can do to maintain your pole and the lacquer also provides a grippy surface which seems to need less tightening of the clamps.
There's a guy on YouTube with a video of him doing it which is where I came across it. Search for lgb window cleaning, I think that's his channel.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 01:48:28 pm »
Get a can of clear lacquer for car bodywork and build it up using coats of it instead of faffing around with epox resin.. Cheap as chips and does a fantastic job, one of the best things you can do to maintain your pole and the lacquer also provides a grippy surface which seems to need less tightening of the clamps.
There's a guy on YouTube with a video of him doing it which is where I came across it. Search for lgb window cleaning, I think that's his channel.

I tried that on a carbon slx. Made a right mess. Started flaking & went stick & gooey un the heat. Took me ages to clean it all off again. I guess you’re talking fibreglass?

I would replace the shim & spring. If that doesn’t work then as said above paint or spread a thin film of epoxy glue round the affected part. Epoxy two part glue is only £1 in a shop where I live.

Worked for me.

Windy Miller

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »

I tried that on a carbon slx. Made a right mess. Started flaking & went stick & gooey un the heat. Took me ages to clean it all off again. I guess you’re talking fibreglass?

I would replace the shim & spring. If that doesn’t work then as said above paint or spread a thin film of epoxy glue round the affected part. Epoxy two part glue is only £1 in a shop where I live.

Worked for me.
Simon, I have an slx25 and haven't had any of those issues at all, I just build it up with thin layers letting it dry fully before adding another until happy.
Outside of regular cleaning  it's the number one thing I do to maintain my poles and I wish I'd known about it a long time ago.

mufcglen

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »
My xtreme was spinning after 9-10 months, replaced the clamps with phantom last month and they’ve been mega, so much better than gardiner clamps and you won’t have carbon hand too!

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 01:55:59 pm »

Yep thats me,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbXLzjpIjI

If anyone is experiencing problems with the lacquer then it's not be done correctly. We have an extreme 1 from 2011 and its still like new!

Slash

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 06:16:04 pm »
Just buy an oval 8 from streamline,problem solved.

robbo333

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
I used the 2 part araldite, it's a bit time consuming but it worked well.

If it happens again, i'll just cut the section off and re-glue the clamp.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Ooooooog

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 07:31:27 pm »
is it spinning in the closed position (where each section is at its shortest) - if so, open up the section and run your thumb nail from the clamp towards the next section have you got a step/ridge about 1" away from the clamp ?

if so heat the clamp gently to release the glue and pull off clamp - cut off about 1.5 inches (40mm) from the end of the section and re-glue clamp - this should sort it - I use a 1mm wide grinding disc

if it spins in various positions you may need new shims in the clamp lever assembly

Darran

Great stuff!
Are you using a hot air gun to heat it?