UK Window Cleaning Forum > Window Cleaning Forum

For those that have a few vans what makes you a successful employer

<< < (2/5) > >>

Phil J:

--- Quote from: Smudger on June 23, 2019, 10:31:39 pm ---total noobs only for us - if they have worked for others or self employed windy at any time - no interview

Darran

--- End quote ---
Totally agree with Darran on this one, I've made this mistake twice and won't make it again.

Smudger:
NK - If you have a complicated family life I would say its almost better to have staff - if your required a lot at home you can leave someone cleaning and earning while you deal with the important stuff.

many on here always quote how little is earn off an employee over what you do yourself - I think people think I could earn that £45 (or whatever) per hour all for me yet I have to pay £20 to someone else ( factoring in hols/pension etc ) therefore its not worth my while.
But its extra - over and above what you could do yourself - then there's the added safety - for example I've been quite ill and unable to work yet my income is not affected ( the biz stood still ) - it looks like I may never physically be able to window clean/ pressure wash again due to nerve damage - this is where staff come into their own

Darran

nathankaye:
Absolutely agree Darren, unfortunately my time doesn't allow to search for and train up a helper at the moment as that is time consuming to begin with and I can't take that hit at the moment.
However, I'm looking forward to when I can and like you've mentioned, the benefit of not having to overly worry about both business and family life is a strong motivation to push forward with the idea

Stoots:
I set on a lad a month ago and now he's going to have a month off sick.

Stuff like will test you and is why most quit on it. It can be a ballache and cost you more money than it makes you in the short term.

But on the flip side you can earn more money or just earn the same money but work less hours

Example of you work 5 days a week at 250 a day you could employ someone at 500 a week and just work 2 days yourself and him 5 and earn the same money take home.

The question of course is...is it worth it to you to work less hours and have the added hassle or just do it yourself.

johnwillan:
"Successful" -  Although very subjective I guess the answer is "someone that survives"

It's a fantastic topic full of opinions, as an example using Darren's excellent LOL phrase "he who can't named" runs a completely different set up to myself, both work well and provide results with which we are happy.

There are many many books on this subject, my favourite companies "I" would use as an example of success are "Timpson", "Richer Sounds" and "SouthWest Airlines" 

Keep it simple - use guidelines not rules, allow common sense to prevail
Look for the positives - trust until proven otherwise, look for reasons to celebrate and reward
Recruit on personality - you can train for technique
Look after the good get rid of the bad - build a positive team

HTH

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version