Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Customer’s
« on: June 15, 2019, 02:31:53 pm »
Got a customer, had for 10 years

Access never a problem

Now it is big iron gate

So text customer evening before
To unlock gate

This has changed into hiding a key outside for me to unlock
Still ok

So asked them to leave key under ornament

I unlock gate and lock gate and key through letterbox

Now getting what time will you be here 🙆🏻‍♂️ When I text

They were on holiday when I was last in the road so I left it

When they returned from holiday they text me to say they were back

I didn’t respond to that text, lesser of 2 👿 evils

Bumped into customer today while working in another area

There friends with a customer I did today

Got put on the spot when I’d be around told them I’m behind schedule,

Put him on the spot and asked for a key

Surprise surprise
Subject changed

How would you handle this customer

I don’t mind texting regarding gates
But really dislike customer’s who make something so simple so difficult

3 bed semi on a monthly basis

Am I a grumpy 😡 old g1t 😁

Ps we need the ☔️ rain
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lee_dewing

Re: Customer’s
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 02:36:17 pm »
Feel harsh to dump and clean four of there immediate neighbours

Thinking of keeping texts brief
Not responding to what time texts

As one text seems to lead to another 🤦‍♂️

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 03:49:02 pm »
Just arrange for a copy of the key - got several that make us a copy or they use padlocks with a code and supply that,

Even got the odd posh customer with electric gates and have the entry code - no drama

If the arrangement is for key to be left out, but don’t either drop them or make it clear it’s front only @ full price

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 04:08:50 pm »
Unfortunately this is not going to get better.
People are more conscious of security. You can't blame them.

We have a long a frame step ladder which will go over most of our customer's standard gates. A couple we have to phone first thing in the morning before they go to work to remove padlocks where we can't get over and that seems to work well.
Another customer has built an extension at the back and the only access to her back is through the garage. She's there on a Monday so that's the first call of the week.
Like Darran we have a couple of coded padlocks with the number and we also have the code to open an electric gate.

I also have a key to all the gates of the local school we clean once a year. When the job comes up I can come and go as I please.

You just have to make a plan and preorganise the day. We have found that I'm having to deal with this type of thing more and more in the morning. At one time it was a couple of houses, now its around 10 to15% of the round where we have to take some action with regard to locked access.

Many years ago one of the local lads dropped every customer who had a locked gate. He soon replaced them but he says he wouldn't do that now. He wouldn't have enough work left and there's too much competition now.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »
You've asked several times about a key and been blanked or excuses given. It sounds like you want to give them last one try. If this is the case, just let them know that you are not able to give a time and this is why the key is very helpful. After that, then you need to dump and replace, but I think you already know this
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 06:05:19 pm »
text for key to be left out, if they dont just do the front

if they keep forgetting and it bothers you then dump them but if you are doing neighbours may as well do the front

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »
Ask for a key , if they won’t give you one say sorry I can no longer accommodate you due to access issues , not worth wasting time on   Dump and replace with better priced and easy access job , simple

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:24:43 pm »
Sadly, for ones like myself who have been in this trade for a good number of years, we have come across this maybe a handful of times. Customers circumstances and thinking naturally can take a different turn in life and when it comes to being a great or good customer, sadly they can become a messier or a troubled customer.
Some should have the benefit of the doubt and others not so.  If these were newish customers you would probably just replace without the need to ask, but in this case you may feel a false sense of loyalty to them.  However its just business, are they now good for business or not? If not, make a business decision and move on 👍
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:43:21 pm »
Sadly, for ones like myself who have been in this trade for a good number of years, we have come across this maybe a handful of times. Customers circumstances and thinking naturally can take a different turn in life and when it comes to being a great or good customer, sadly they can become a messier or a troubled customer.
Some should have the benefit of the doubt and others not so.  If these were newish customers you would probably just replace without the need to ask, but in this case you may feel a false sense of loyalty to them.  However its just business, are they now good for business or not? If not, make a business decision and move on 👍

Excellent advise here. But I would also talk to the customer and explain why you can't do them. Don't leave them out of your conversation loop and they then can't slag you off for not being accommodating. It also lets you talk to them at any time in the future and leaves the door open to the possibility of future business.

We had an older lady wanting her and her sons windows done exactly every month but we weren't to clean them if it was going to rain. We parted ways on good terms as I explained that wasn't possible. Whenever I saw her I always asked how she was etc.
She stopped me in the street about a year later and told me that she had recommended me to 4 others in the next village despite us no longer cleaning her windows.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:15:45 am »
well done ! perfect wy to deal with customers

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 01:48:29 pm »
Thanks everyone

Good posts 👍

As said happy to text instead of having a key

But it’s all the what time will you be here?   crap

Basically you don’t like leaving gate unlocked when your not there.

So as wisely said in one of posts

Next time I get the what time text

I will reply with not sure
If you’re not happy to leave the gate unlocked I’ll just do front

Otherwise give me a key

I don’t like customer’s that think there your boss.

Also had other customers that see you in the road and ask you to do there’s first as there going out and want to lock gate or mowing the lawn

Maybe I’m just a miserable sod

Don’t like pushy people 🙆🏻‍♂️

Thanks everyone 👍

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 03:53:45 pm »
Thanks everyone

Good posts 👍

As said happy to text instead of having a key
But it’s all the what time will you be here?   crap
you must have a rough idea on time you will be there - ok you might not like being tied down to an exact time but its easy to specify between 10 and 11 am surely ?

Basically you don’t like leaving gate unlocked when your not there.

So as wisely said in one of posts

Next time I get the what time text

I will reply with not sure
If you’re not happy to leave the gate unlocked I’ll just do front

Otherwise give me a key

I don’t like customer’s that think there your boss.
but they are ! - no customers no business - perhaps I just see it differently

Also had other customers that see you in the road and ask you to do there’s first as there going out and want to lock gate or mowing the lawn

Maybe I’m just a miserable sod

Don’t like pushy people 🙆🏻‍♂️

Thanks everyone 👍

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 08:55:46 pm »
but they are ! - no customers no business - perhaps I just see it differently

No difficult customers, better round.

Maybe I’m wrong here smudger
But I thought being self employed meant being your own boss

I don’t think you should let customers dictate

We offer a service a very cheap service in comparison to other trades people

But We have to fit in say 10 + jobs a day
(Inset your own number of customers)

Giving times and some on here give next clean dates too

Isn’t for me
Basically customer doesn’t want to give me a gate key because they don’t trust me

Ok
I text them to unlock gate

Still not happy with that

Ask them to leave key out hidden

seems now they want to open and lock gate while I’m there

That’s too much like hard work

But that’s my opinion

Opinions aren’t fact

Lee

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 09:10:56 pm »
Forgot to add that in the past I have
Bent over backwards for customers

In the end they come and go

As Nathan said mislead loyalty

Either good business or bad business 👍

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 09:21:42 pm »
ok then Lee - follow what some say on here - drop a customer for this, that and anyone who looks at you side wides  - so your self employed - big deal - you've changed one boss for hundreds albeit for 15 to 30 minute segments

How important do you think window cleaning is ? - will the house fall down if it's not done NO - we provide a service and a service that on the whole has no value - were not repairing broken tiles, plumbing etc.....

that's not to say you can't make really good money, and certainly don't have to put up with being spoken down to or people being rude, however if you can accomadate a  reasonable request then its in your interest to do so,

we have a fair number of 'widows' on our books, they find it tough to clean the kitchen window inside due to the sink/worktop  its no issue to pop in and clean that once in a while - I half expect some on here would rather stick 2 fingers up and say that the customer is a messer.

yes unlike most we run four/eight weeks to the day with dates provided - my background meant I could only stay sane working this way - customers love it - I love it

Darran

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:40 pm »
Why do some feel the need to have a pop or moan at the opinions or stance that some wish to take with their business, as if they have all the right answers?

Yes this is overall a very simple service which we offer, because thankfully people on a whole can't be arsed to clean their own windows for whatever reasons. This, thankfully offers an opportunity to provide a service at a cost........... This is where, the simple/humble window cleaner steps in!  Some would like to keep it simple as well and offer a small window of flexibility. In this case, it's the issue of accessibility.  A text has been agreed to be sent to give notice but this is constantly changing, flexibility has to be two ways and if not a business decision can be made to either continue or replace with less difficult work. Its that simple. It's not a question of just popping inside to quickly clean a kitchen window or not
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 09:52:08 pm »
Decide how you want to work then find customers who fit the way you want to work.

I personally don't do insides at all. I hate them, plus when I schedule a day's work it's for a full days wfp cleaning so anything that slows me down does my nut.

I text the night before and I don't expect any "what time" or "can you come another day" or any such crap.

Dump them and get one that has them cleaned regularly without fuss and with prompt payment.

I understand as a larger business you need to be a bit more lenient with regards access issues and other such small inconveniences as at the end of the day you want to grow and dumping customers left right and centre is not really on. But then you are likely not the one doing the cleaning.

But certainly as a one man band you should be aiming to have a round the suits you not the customer.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
because its on the board - so it appears to be a major concern - if the customer is a pain - don't clean - move on

its an opinion - no moaning or having a pop

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 10:02:55 pm »
Gomo - Thats the way I have always been - from the outset - strict schedule - many customers when I canvassed said the number one thing that p!ssed them off was never knowing when the windows were going to be cleaned  - that just happens to suit how I set my rounds up

we don't get - what time and certainly don't get come a different day - maybe now and then we miss someone due to building works but to my recollection they have always rung us up days before being due.

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 10:15:35 pm »
I totaly agree with others comments I run my own buisness the reason I do that is exactly that I want to run it how I want not be dictated to by the customer , I dont and won’t txt them we turn up every 4 or 8 weekly sometimes a bit late if weather is bad or been away on holiday , if there windows are a bit late being cleaned most are ok with that it’s not life threatening if they arnt done exactly on time , commercial work is a bit different it’s-done  on the day it’s due come hell or high water , we are always willing to be reasonable with customers if they are having building work done or decorating done and the windows cannot be done that’s fine no problem but we won’t be mucked about with looks like it might rain or they arnt to bad leave them this time , I have staff to pay and bills to pay if 50% of customers behaved in this way I would have no buisness or income when quoting I always stress it’s a regular clean that they are signing up for if they then go back in that or much us about they are dumped as they have gone back on the original agreement, some good customers can become bad customers , but if we dump them it’s always done  politely and we will never go back that’s bad  buisness in my books and it’s worked for us for 20 years expanding year on year this is just my personal view and experience

Simon Trapani

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 10:54:17 pm »
Texting for access through software is slightly better than keys I find, especially with multiple vans as the keys can end up in the wrong van. Neither is ideal but what is?

Don’t give a time slot. You haven’t got time to respond to trivial texts.

Just explain & get to the bottom of it once & for all. If the outcome is not what you want then you have a decision to make. It’s your business. There’s no right or wrong. Just mind how you say it’s your reputation. No need to be rude, but likewise don’t be a pushover. Just say it as it is.

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 11:18:09 pm »
I have had a certain customer for two years now and since I took her on she has needed a text for the gate

Every time I text her reply was what time and I used to try and work it out, about 11 or about 12 I'd say. Then after a while i got fed up with it and just replied the same everytime "about 11" and I'd just turn up whenever I got there sometimes 9-10 or in the afternoon.

After a while she stopped asking what time. She finally got the message, eventually after about 18 months on the round lol

lee_dewing

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 09:23:22 am »
Thanks everyone

Got this text message ready in anticipation 😁

Feel free to edit, I think it is polite 🤔

Text
Hello Jackie,

Unfortunately I can’t give times,

A lot of customers give me a spare key to their gates

Alternatively I text for gates to be unlocked

If you’re not happy about leaving gate unlocked when you’re not in
Then you can hide a gate key outside for me.

Otherwise  may I suggest cleaning front windows only? If you’re out.

I’ll understand if none of these options work and you want to get another window cleaner

Regards lee

G Griffin

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 09:53:37 am »
Thanks everyone

Got this text message ready in anticipation 😁

Feel free to edit, I think it is polite 🤔

Text
Hello Jackie,

Unfortunately I can’t give times,

A lot of customers give me a spare key to their gates

Alternatively I text for gates to be unlocked

If you’re not happy about leaving gate unlocked when you’re not in
Then you can hide a gate key outside for me.

Otherwise  may I suggest cleaning front windows only? If you’re out.

I’ll understand if none of these options work and you want to get another window cleaner

Regards lee
You can't be fairer that that, Lee.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

lee_dewing

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 07:31:42 pm »
Thanks  ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:09 pm »
I feel it's important to note you are able to provide more to customers if you have help or employees. So things like working around the gate giving Her a time bracket even going back to the street later on just to fit her in. It's not you going back it's your colleague who's getting paid regardless the only thing that will matter in that instance is if the business is in profit for the extra mile you have decided to do.

This customer doesn't want to play ball and it's difficult one not to take this a little bit personally
Because you're putting a lot of unpaid work into this job for your customers and responsible for the cleaning and the admin
So 9 out of 10 customers are happy to open the gate or give you the key this one clearly doesn't want to

When you are self-employed working alone going home doing your water repairing your van checking out your route chasing debt creating invoices texting customers and you have a load of customers which are playing ball the way you want them to considering all the working hours associated with the job outside of actual window cleaning I think for the person working totally alone being responsible for the above and more.
Has the right not to increase his working hours unnecessarily. So I think your message is reasonable and hopefully the customer will understand it's the way you work and you have lots to think about rather than driving back specifically and wedging yourself in. I think you couldn't be fairer you gave her the options that suit your business give you a key or have your front cleaned or unlock your gate. If you want to go out of your way half an hour that would mean an extra half an hour when you go home sorting out your vehicle doing your admin.
The ball is in her court now.

Slacky

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 11:07:27 pm »
Have a business model. Decide upon it. Stick to it. (You can always change it should the need arise).

Some customers will fall within the parameters of this model, some wont.

This is life. Whatever your business model, there is no one business in the world that can entertain every potenial customer that approaches you.

If youre a high-end business the oiks wont want to pay your rates and if you’re a low end supplier the oiks will want you but the snooty ones won’t want your wagon on their drive.

Don’t be hesitant in deciding which ones are appropriate for this model and which ones aren’t.

My missus thinks Im too intolerant in my approach to how i interact with potential customers. I look at her and just say ‘whos business is this, theres or mine?.

Jonny 87

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 07:17:07 am »
I also think a large part of this is supply and demand.

If you are building the business, and have spare time to fill, you can be more flexible. Especially if you have multiple employees.

However for the majority of us, we have more customers than we need, which is always a good situation to be in. Any messers get left, and they either change their ways, or find another window cleaner who may accommodate.

That results in the best possible work day for us as business owners.

Maximising profit and minimising headaches. 
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

G Griffin

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 09:18:37 am »

If you are building the business, and have spare time to fill, you can be more flexible. Especially if you have multiple employees.
Why would you have multiple employees if you were in that position?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 09:49:27 am »
I suppose that when you take on an extra employee you have a short period of time where you're building enough work for say 4 rather than 3.
So you might have work for more than three but not enough for four for a while.
I only give the above example so I could write a phonetic for three times in a row.
It's a game of three halves!

Stoots

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 10:02:07 am »
Theres usually a process

You start out taking on every job  in sight, no matter how awkward or underpriced and as tine goes on you only take on certain jobs at certain prices.

Thats what everyone should be aiming for. If you are 10 years in and still have headache jobs then you are doing something wrong.

yesterday i dropped 3 potential new ones before i even cleaned them. One was a terraced with access through 2 back gardens, the other turns out she needed to be in for access and the other i had underpriced it over the phone and when i got there she wouldnt have the extra £5 that i wanted.

a couple of years ago i would have took all 3, not anymore

Smudger

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 03:46:57 pm »

However for the majority of us, we have more customers than we need, which is always a good situation to be in. Any messers get left, and they either change their ways, or find another window cleaner who may accommodate.

That results in the best possible work day for us as business owners.

Maximising profit and minimising headaches.

Why would you be more flexible with multiple employees?

Darran