This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

James Styles

Canvassing
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
Just a few questions about canvassing really.
Do you guys like canvassing? I don’t enjoy it too much tbh, get some rude people, one person today said to me at the door that he has a window cleaner I said ok thank you no worries he then said I’d watch stomping on other people’s work areas (with a serious face) I said well I didn’t know, he then goes yeah there’s a few windows cleaners here they do all the area, I just said ok thanks but carried on and picked up a few customers on them roads, so weren’t all bad. I can’t lie he did bug me a bit as I could tell he was trying to basically say get out of this area.
Have you guys had experiences like this, how do you deal with it and do you just carry canvassing the area or move on?
I don’t want to step on other window cleaners spots but tbh they are everywhere and end of the day the works there for everyone, anytime a person says they have a window cleaner I say ok thanks, I never try to steal work or would I ever want to.
Maybe the more I canvass the more I will become comfortable with it.

Stoots

Re: Canvassing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:20:13 pm »
No i hate it

But to answer your question you just get on with it regardless of what people say or think, thick skin needed and crack on.

Canvass where you like and charge what you like.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:20:49 pm »
Just ignore plonkers like that and carry on....you have to have a quite a thick skin in this game mate  :D

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:37:21 pm »
I refuse to canvass. Its like begging for money in this game and attracting messers. 
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:03 pm »
The only time you can remotely be accused of 'stealing' work is deliberately underpricing - but if you went down that road you'll not last long as you won't make any money.

Canvassing - not my most favourite pastime but its a necessary evil when building a round ( and the quickest ) I used to get really bad stomach cramps to the point of throwing up, but once I got going you can get into the swing of it and there is no better feeling than getting a new customer!!

After a while - anything thats said just rolls off like water on a ducks back - don't take anything personally - always offer them a leaflet  :D

I've knocked doors many a time to be told that a windy does ALL the street only to knock next door and get a job and be told there has not been a windy in the street for years !! ;D

Never judge a house - knock them all!!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

James Styles

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 08:53:34 pm »
I refuse to canvass. Its like begging for money in this game and attracting messers.

I do get where you’re coming from mate, once I have a big enough round I hopefully won’t need to do it much but I’m just starting out so needs to be done

James Styles

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:56:18 pm »
I've knocked doors many a time to be told that a windy does ALL the street only to knock next door and get a job and be told there has not been a windy in the street for years

Yes I’ve experienced this too a few times already, “he does all the houses on this street” I carry on then a few doors down the lady says “yes we need a window cleaner there’s none around here”
LOL

James Styles

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:59:15 pm »
I used to get really bad stomach cramps to the point of throwing up

I know what you mean mate I’ve not felt sick but really nervous and sometimes when they are rude or pretty much telling me I’m not too welcome round here it effects me more than I’d like, I do need to get stronger emotionally I know this, hopefully it will come with more and more canvassing.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:44 pm »
I used to get really bad stomach cramps to the point of throwing up

I know what you mean mate I’ve not felt sick but really nervous and sometimes when they are rude or pretty much telling me I’m not too welcome round here it effects me more than I’d like, I do need to get stronger emotionally I know this, hopefully it will come with more and more canvassing.

Keep at it, it gets easier - and the less nervous you become the more jobs you will get, - confidence (not only at canvassing, but with the quality of your cleaning) will bring rewards

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 09:36:39 pm »

Nonsense.

You just have to do it wisely. Canvassing around existing work makes a lot of sense.

I do very little canvassing but if my Mrs or daughter is working with me  and they are kicking there heels as I reel in the hose or whatever I say just knock on the two houses either side and leave my card.

They will say "My Dad/Husband is the window cleaner for your neighbours, if you ever need a window cleaner there's his number." And hand over the card or pop it through with the same message on it.

Some of my best work has come from this as it helps keep things compact.

I had one today where I do a countryside road and there is one house among a group of 5 which I have never done in 4 years. I or my daughter dropped in a card every year or so and today the lady collared me and said - we're back from New Zealand and are living here again (it had been rented) and the tenant left your card and now I've got round to asking you.

It's a nice gap filler of £40 every 8 weeks.
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:33:59 am »
i was relentless at canvassing when i first started out back in 1993....i never got nervous...in fact if anything i came across too cocky and arrogant at times... ;D

id be out canvassing most days,when i picked up a new job id clean it there and then usually or at least the next day....

just keep going,after a few months of this you should have pockets of work you can start organising into some sort of round....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:36 am »

thats how i started out...if i hadnt got off my arse and knocked them doors (virtually every day for 6 months) i wouldnt have built the foundations of the round i have today 26 years on....
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:34 am »
Agree with most of the above, its also a good way to build your dealing with the public/customer confidence.

James Styles

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:38 pm »
Have any of you guys canvassed w road while the window cleaner is on it? I was canvassing today and the window cleaners was there, didn’t say nothing but kept looking over

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 03:37:08 pm »
James, just get on with it mate and stop caring what other people think. If your struggling at this stage, then you may want to rethink the career.
Your gonna be cleaning one house a d the next thing a group of loud mouth thugs are gonna turn up and clean the neighbours house. The will either be friendly, or complete idiots,  but they may also just put their heads down n crack on!

Just focus on what your doing and press on!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 04:10:13 pm »
Yes follow  nk’s advice and example he does care what he does and what people say  :D

But in answer to your question - yes I have and just missed that house another time stopped for a chat also had people canvass while cleaning - no big deal

One time I went to quote and while there the regular windy turned up! - customer got a bit flustered and disappeared inside - the windy and I had a chat about equipment etc then I said I’ll put my quote in - it’s gonna be £80 that ok ? Yes he said that’s well over the top. Wished him luck and left the quote

Darran

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:46 pm »
Have any of you guys canvassed w road while the window cleaner is on it? I was canvassing today and the window cleaners was there, didn’t say nothing but kept looking over

Personally, I wouldn't canvass a few doors either side of where he is actually working - I'd just note the ones I didn't knock and go back and get those few when he'd gone. Not because it's "wrong" but I just wouldn't feel comfortable about it.
It's a game of three halves!

James Styles

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't canvass a few doors either side of where he is actually working - I'd just note the ones I didn't knock and go back and get those few when he'd gone. Not because it's "wrong" but I just wouldn't feel comfortable about it.

Yes I didn’t do the road he was on I went there afterwards, seems there are loads of window cleaners around here haha

James Styles

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »
I need to build my confidence

James Styles

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »
I’m hoping that will come with more canvassing and working, it’s all new at the moment