Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark m

Smudger

Re: Softwashing a small block of flats
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:27:34 pm »
Nice job

Hypo I presume....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:00:37 pm »
That’s the way to do it , nice job

Phil J

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:55:17 pm »
Looking good Mark!

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:56:34 pm »
Wow, I thought I worked fast
😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:00 am »
Just think of all those chemicals they are breathing in as aerosols. Good for the lungs and body. In old age, or older age, maybe they will reap the reward.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53:59 am »
Just think of all those chemicals they are breathing in as aerosols. Good for the lungs and body. In old age, or older age, maybe they will reap the reward.

This is precisely why I don't do softwashing....

I also hate the smell of bleach...it turns my stomach....

Great job though...I bet the customers were very happy with the results.it looks like a brand new building!👍
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:52 am »

Oh ever the positive posts on this forum  ::)roll

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

zesty

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:12:05 am »

You can wear a chemical mask, but to be honest, being outside with a fairly low strength hypo mix is not going to cause any harm at all.

Indoors with little ventilation, then yeah, but outside it’s not going to be an issue. Wearing a mask sorts it out completely.

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:24 am »
If your overly worried, wear one of these
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:23:24 am »
Where does it run to? Do the environment agency need to know your pouring hypo into the drains or water table? ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:30 am »
You do realise don't you that household bleach is about 2% Hypo and yet do you question pouring it down the sink or using it in the garden etc.

So let's be a little realistic here guys
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
You do realise don't you that household bleach is about 2% Hypo and yet do you question pouring it down the sink or using it in the garden etc.

Down the sink is one thing, into drains that feed into streams etc is another.........
I’m sure it’s fine. I wonder what the EA would say? Crack on?

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 02:29:17 pm »

Down the sink is one thing, into drains that feed into streams etc is another.........

Why don't u look into it, be quite fascinating I would have thought and enlightening.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »

Why don't u look into it, be quite fascinating I would have thought and enlightening.

Just emailed them. Hopefully it’s deemed okay.

zesty

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 05:04:29 pm »
The thing is with hypo, by the time it would get into any river it’d be completely neutralised.

I think a lot of people think a siftwash mix is some sort of extremely dangerous high strength chemical, when in reality it’s just watered down bleach.

Ooooooog

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 06:45:46 pm »
The thing is with hypo, by the time it would get into any river it’d be completely neutralised.

I think a lot of people think a siftwash mix is some sort of extremely dangerous high strength chemical, when in reality it’s just watered down bleach.

Maybe.
Our last house, the gutters and drains went straight into the river at the bottom of the garden.

EA are yet to reply.....

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 07:07:34 pm »
Hypo is used extensively in the farming community for washing down cattle sheds etc...

also used to spay over seedling and plants to kill off pests

so it will be very interesting on what EA say

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 07:53:14 pm »
All prep packed and cut salad in supermarkets is washed in a hypo mix before packaging to kill off bacteria and give it a longer shelf life , it’s put into swimming pools and you get it in your eyes , doesn’t blind or kill you , in America they inject  it in all meats again to kill off bacteria to give it a longer shelf life this is why certain groups in this country don’t want a trade deal with America due to this . It’s also in all drinking water , so people who are worried about it will find it difficult to get away from it being used in the food industry , provided it’s used safely it’s like any other product dilution rate for the job in hand is key , wether we like it or not it’s difficult to get away from hypo in our everyday products .

Ralphie

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:39 pm »
As a newbie I’m a bit confused, is this hypo put through your ibc?

Sticking with windows but just wondered. ??? ???

Splash & dash

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 08:15:08 pm »
As a newbie I’m a bit confused, is this hypo put through your ibc?

Sticking with windows but just wondered. ??? ???

Softwashing with hypo ( bleach ) is washing properties to remove  algy licken and other organic growth , generaly ones use a backpack tk apply it

Ralphie

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 08:25:44 pm »
As I said, just gonna stick to glass :D

TY

nathankaye

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 09:23:34 pm »
Some people just like to scare monger and panic about things without just stepping back for five minutes and thinking things through.

😂😂😂😂😂 Rich coming from me, I know,  but the point is still valid
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 10:17:18 pm »
My dad was a leisure Center manager for 40 years.

He was the technical manager and one of the many parts to the job was keeping the swimming pools topped up with the correct amount sodium hypochlorite.

They would get huge amounts of hypo delivered into giant tanks. Don’t ask how, but over the years he’s had 15% hypo in his eyes, splashed on his skin etc etc. (Accidents and lack of caution 🙄)

Anyway, the point I want to make is it never once did him any harm. He’s still got great vision, his skin is great (other than getting wrinkly from age!)

He remembers having to rinse his eyes out with water after splashes to the face.

These days health and safety is of course a lot better. But the point remains, it isn’t that dangerous, especially at the dilution we use it at.

Granted, we should be using PPE with it, but for crying out loud, the fear mongering is ridiculous from some.

Now 40% by weight hypo, that’s another story! I wouldn’t touch that stuff. But 15%z. Meh.

Just be carful and sensible and hypo won’t be an issue at all. Unless your a cowboy and drink some and splash it about neat.

David Beecroft

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 01:37:46 pm »
So back to topic. I’ve been asked to softwash a block of flats similar to the one in the video, front and back. Never done it before. Questions, 1.what kind of price do I charge, alternatively how much time does it involve. 2. What is the process, it seems the render was washed 3 times, what is happening each time? 3. Where do I buy Hypo , what quantity and what strength. 4. What can go wrong?
Any information regarding any of these issues would be gratefully received. 😊

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 01:49:52 pm »
So back to topic. I’ve been asked to softwash a block of flats similar to the one in the video, front and back. Never done it before.

Questions,

1.what kind of price do I charge, alternatively how much time does it involve.
depends on how you apply - but price IMO should be between 600 to 1000. - time wise anywhere  between 1.5 hrs and 6 hours

2. What is the process, it seems the render was washed 3 times, what is happening each time?
I suspect the op used a weak mixture - therefore needed to go over the surface more than once

3. Where do I buy Hypo , what quantity and what strength.
swimming pool suppliers

4. What can go wrong?
chemical burns - to you or passers by - property damage  - death if you decide to drink it

Any information regarding any of these issues would be gratefully received. 😊

do some research - be sensible and treat hypo with respect
Darran

nathankaye

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 03:06:11 pm »
As above,
Be careful and research it first, so you know what you are doing, before you let rip on someone's property
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

David Beecroft

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 03:27:12 pm »
This is my research 😁

zesty

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »
This is my research 😁

In my opinion you should try it on something at home first. Or a family members render or cladding.

It’s not the sort of thing you can just ‘give a go’, especially not on a block of flats as your first job.

Practice first, get things right, then venture into commercial.

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 07:34:48 pm »
This is my research 😁

In my opinion you should try it on something at home first. Or a family members render or cladding.

It’s not the sort of thing you can just ‘give a go’, especially not on a block of flats as your first job.

or perhaps just a family member  ;D

Darran

zesty

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:54 pm »
This is my research 😁

or perhaps just a family member  ;D

Darran

Extra dash of hypo for the mother in law 😜

nathankaye

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 10:56:22 pm »
Just spray it all over n hope for the best

https://youtu.be/mtLmlWrUnyo

Atleast the street will have speckled cleaned neighbours 😁
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

David Beecroft

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 08:19:34 am »
😂 I guess that answers what to avoid!
Thanks for the advice I’ll certainly take it on board.
I have a couple of garden walls I can practice on. 👍