This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Afterglow Window Cleaners

Advice needed
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:50 am »
Hey all,

I have found out today from customers that a local window cleaner is canvassing my customers and telling them that I have given up cleaning windows and I am moving abroad. This is not true.

What do you guys do in this situation? I have sent a text to him/his company asking him to cease this underhand behaviour.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Gary

Smudger

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:41:57 am »
Not sure if you can do anything, there maybe a long and expensive legal recourse but you could be throwing good money after bad.

I would have a short letter drafted and deliver to all customers letting them know you are not moving away and possibly ( and be careful here ) ask them to inform the police that there is a door to door scam in operation

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Afterglow Window Cleaners

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:55 am »
Thanks Darren,

I've got no problem with anyone knocking my customers doors etc, but telling them I've given up is out of order.

I've spoken to the guy on the phone now and surprise surprise he denied it.

I'll wait and see what happens now.

Cheers, Gary

TomCrowther

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:10:04 am »
There's a guy round here {South Manc's} trying the same. All you can do is what's already been suggested. Make sure your customers understand that if there is any change to your circumstances, you will be the one to tell them not this idiot.

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:08:57 pm »
This happened to me some years ago in the UK.  Fortunately, I had a good rapport with my customers, who knew me well enough to know that I would have informed them if I were to be stopping, so I didn't lose any.

If I had lost any, I would have either spoken to or written to every customer to reassure them of my intention to continue to work for them if that was their wish. This is what I would do today if it happened again.

Gary,  I reckon you've probably got little to worry about. He's already cooked his goose by lying to your customers. If you have a good reputation with your customers he won't be around for long, if at all.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:14 pm »
Hey all,

I have found out today from customers that a local window cleaner is canvassing my customers and telling them that I have given up cleaning windows and I am moving abroad. This is not true.

What do you guys do in this situation? I have sent a text to him/his company asking him to cease this underhand behaviour.

Thank you, Gary

i had a few ex employees try and do this to me many years ago......i simply informed all my customers that i wasnt giving up and to ignore any approach by these chaps.....keep calm.....if your well established you wont lose any work....i never did anyway... ;)
price higher/work harder!

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:28 pm »
Hey all,

Thank you, Gary

I just carry on cleaning their windows. Turn up, clean. Go back at pre-arranged frequency.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:30:03 pm »
ive often been slagged off on here for stopping and actually talking to my customers occasionally over a coffee for 5-10 mins whilst working and doing a bit of collecting here and there(not much these days)....this all helps with customer rapport so when these desperate clowns come knocking the customers invariably dont fall for their lies and underhand tactics...... ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »
ive often been slagged off on here for stopping and actually talking to my customers occasionally over a coffee for 5-10 mins whilst working and doing a bit of collecting here and there(not much these days)....this all helps with customer rapport so when these desperate clowns come knocking the customers invariably dont fall for their lies and underhand tactics...... ;)

Absolutely right and this has stood me well for many years where ones have tried this approach over the many years.
It also helps to have contact numbers for locked gates, as this happened several months ago and I was able to text virtually all my customers and let them know it was a scam.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:32:30 pm »
Also having a clean,tidy sign written van,logod uniform,professional stationary coupled with  being reliable,doing a good job for a fair price,a choice of payment methods,etc all helps when these idiots go knocking on your customers doors....

It virtually makes your round bullet proof.... ;D

NWH

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:39 am »
See if you can find out if he’s left or right handed before you bump into him.

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:42:18 am »
I don't talk to my customers much and don't lose much work either

Truth is most people who have a reliable regular window cleaner will have no interest in switching because they don't want to sack the window cleaner

G Griffin

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 03:06:59 pm »
Hey all,

Thank you, Gary
You're not in Stirlingshire, are you?
If you are, you'll find the rotter in the nearest Toby Carvery trying to eat a huge roast dinner with a gas mask on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 03:45:07 pm »
Hey all,

Thank you, Gary
You're not in Stirlingshire, are you?
If you are, you'll find the rotter in the nearest Toby Carvery trying to eat a huge roast dinner with a gas mask on.

Ssshhh huh, don't dob me in that quick
 ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Scrimble

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:33 pm »
Hey all,

Thank you, Gary

sending him a text just shows how weak you are, man up and ring him at the very least.