Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Weatherley

Repairing a SLX Gardiner Pole Section
« on: March 16, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
I need to carry out what I think is a simple repair but would like to check before I do it that it's safe to do so.

I have a secion 2 that is starting to split at the bottom end when I fully extend the section. My plan is to simply remove the section, cut off approx 4 inches at the bottom of the section where is is damaged with a hacksaw, and then re-assemble the pole.

Does anyone know any reason why this wont work in particular cutting thru the carbon fibre with a hacksaw.

Thanks

Alex Gardiner

Re: Repairing a SLX Gardiner Pole Section
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:25:06 pm »
I need to carry out what I think is a simple repair but would like to check before I do it that it's safe to do so.

I have a secion 2 that is starting to split at the bottom end when I fully extend the section. My plan is to simply remove the section, cut off approx 4 inches at the bottom of the section where is is damaged with a hacksaw, and then re-assemble the pole.

Does anyone know any reason why this wont work in particular cutting thru the carbon fibre with a hacksaw.

Thanks

This will work  :)

Some tips to make this work as smoothly as possible:

1. Wear gloves and a  dust mask
2. Carefully mask the section above where you want to cut off
3. Using a sharp hacksaw blade carefully score around the entire circumference first, cutting just a  little way in all the way around first (prevents splinters)
4. Continue cutting a little way deeper, all the way round and until gradually you cut through the wall
5. Support the off-cut and cut all the way through making sure the last cut bit is sawn through and does not snap off (prevents splinters)
6. Sand off the newly cut edge
7. Re-apply the overlap tape at the bottom of the section and about 15cm up - about 1.25 wraps is enough - replacing this tape regularly when servicing the pole should stop future damage to the base of the section.

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:28:06 pm »
Weather it would be approved by Alex I don’t knkw but I have done it in the past just put masking tape or insulation tape on the area you want to cut and use a fine tooth blade , then go over the cut with sand paper to remove any rough edges , don’t breath the dust in and watch your fingers with carbon shards , but it will give an old section a bit of extra life

Steve Weatherley

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:39:11 pm »
Perfect. Thanks