This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleaniac

Re: The truth be told.....
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 05:57:10 pm »
We tend not to bother trying to run gcode from the cad cam, by the time you have sorted the errors, it's easier to go native, and you don't want to risk slamming a tool through the chuck, it's not worth it.

cleaniac

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 06:05:11 pm »
It's the window cleaning job I am bored with.  It's not like I am kicking about cans and rocking back and forth on the kerb, about to slit my wrists.  My life is very good right now, it's just this business, it's just not stiumulating enough for me that's all.

I think I will get another small cheap van, and get someone 1 or 2 days a week whilst I focus on my next move.  I may grow the business further see how that turns out, or sell some off and invest it into something else. We had a delivery of a brand new live tool for our Mazak over the weekend for a new manufacturing contract which was nice, and my other little venture is showing promise, plus the sun is out today so it could be a case of winter blues..Possibly.

The 60k turnover a year list is based on customers that haven't messed me about and have had at least 2 cleans. I don't count brand new signups in my established figures, and around 4k turned out to be either not today thanks, or one offs during my expansion, I'm sure some will call this year in the hope to restart, but they will get a surprise when I won't go back to a time waster.

You need something to work for. You're into bikes so why not go and buy and a Panigale or a Thruxton TFC?  If the monthly payments are £350 a month go out and find £700 of new work. Set yourself some goals and reward yourself.

I was actually at the MCN show this Sunday looking at the new MV Superveloce, and then popped in on the way back to see mark wilsmore...😁

NWH

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2019, 07:03:28 pm »
I have to agree with the above comment,I only have about half
A dozen I have to arrange with when I’m coming.
I’ve worked this way for years it doesn’t feel like work I go where I want when I want as long as my book tells me work is due,if I have a day like today when I want to stay local I do if I don’t ill go further afield,read the book feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers it’s an eye opener.
I think we all get fed up from time to time but you would do in any other job regardless of its benefits or downsides,I also find new equipment that helps- makes the job easier motivates me.
Hearing people doing other types of jobs motivates me more when I listen to them moaning about hours and pay,especially when they are so called jobs with what would be considered white collar and well paid.
What could be better than getting up in the morning and thinking to yourself I think I’ll go there today it’ll take me a morning and I’ll nearly earn someone else’s weeks pay in that time,it does it for me Marc.

windowswashed

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »
I come from an engineering background and window cleaning isn't the most interesting of jobs but it pays the bills and I am grateful it allowed me to pay my mortgage off early and many other things.  I break my work down  into pockets of areas. Run it like clockwork and look forward to when I've days off so I can get away in my camper I converted in my spare time so I can go kayaking different locations. Sometimes I stick a kayak on the roof of work van so I can kayaking when I'm near a river or the sea so that's my motivation from spring to autumn for ploughing through my daily work.
Keep myself busy when I'm working and take time out to do other things to stop boredom creeping in. Don't let stress and worry get the better of you. Better to stay busy with work and plan days or weeks off for leisure and keep to it otherwise "black dog" could creep in.

Stoots

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
Another thing is to actually switch off after work...

That's about the only thing I miss from being employed, clocking off and not giving work another thought till waking up the next day.

The thing with this game is there's always something to think about whether it's messing with website or sorting van out, bookeeping, the list goes on..

It's hard to detach, I think that must add up and become draining in itself, sometimes I wish I could turn my brain off...stupid thing won't stop thinking about window cleaning.

Don Kee

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 06:55:54 am »

That's about the only thing I miss from being employed, clocking off and not giving work another thought till waking up the next day.

The thing with this game is there's always something to think about whether it's messing with website or sorting van out, bookeeping, the list goes on..

It's hard to detach, I think that must add up and become draining in itself, sometimes I wish I could turn my brain off...stupid thing won't stop thinking about window cleaning.

Probably doesn’t help being on a window cleaning forum at quarter past 10 in the evening...

Stoots

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:31 am »

Probably doesn’t help being on a window cleaning forum at quarter past 10 in the evening...

Exactly my point and what i was thinking as i typed it.

For me forums are part of the job as well

dazmond

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 08:28:45 am »

im usually home,filled up my tank and put batteries on charge,updated CP,printed invoices for the next working day by 4pm-430pm every day.the only other thing i do work related is send a few texts around 7pm,thats it......(sometimes none at all!)

i dont have a website,any pole maintenance,connector changes,etc i usually do when tank filling up or on a half day.....

debt chasing is done on a monday evening (or tuesday if mon is a bank holiday)which usually consists of around an hours collecting and sending a few text reminders(collecting is down to 2 or 3 times a month)so some mondays are free....

i also check my online account on my phone for payments a few times a day but this takes 2 mins!

ordering new equipment,spares etc is usually done well in advance so i never run out of stuff(like resin or stationary for example).i recently ordered 10 pairs of showa 377s for £60 on amazon...they should last me at least 3 years!i also ordered some waterproof caterpillar boots as my old ones started leaking when we had a spell of wet weather the other week.....

that still leaves me with plenty of time for 3 trips to the  gym per week,rehearsing/gigging,walking the dog,chillin out on CIU,reading books,watching TV,eating out,seeing the family,missus,etc
price higher/work harder!

Tom-01

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 08:51:54 am »
I find window cleaning monotonous if truth be told. The thing that gets me through the day is £££. I earn decent money but never seem to have any, this spurs me on to start all over every week. Working for yourself can be a ballache, I never seem to switch off... I can be in the pub relaxing and get a text cancelling the clean for the next day and my mind then goes from being chilled to thinking lost income. Lost income won't kill me but it plays on your mind. Then you have your bookwork, I can spend a couple of hours on a Friday inputting all the work I've done that week and sorting rounds out for the next week. 

I'll be doing this until I retire and then I'd probably do a day here and there just to keep me occupied.

@ Marc Stock, I'd fill your week before even thinking about employing. But, would employing give you unwanted stress?

Anyone watch "Homes Under The Hammer"?

Some good points, especially about being full before employing.

I used to watch Homes Under The Hammer everyday (I’m off the tools and have a bit too much time), I found myself wasting time watching that, then wasting more time looking for cheap houses, knowing full well I’m in no position to do anything like that yet. Window cleaning is the best way for me to earn money to be able to do that in the future.

So, there’s a goal there to keep me motivated with the business and move it forward. Marc probably needs a goal. There’s good money to be earned in the South East, have a future goal and use the ‘now’ to get to it.

Also I’ve now been looking at houses in Yorkshire thanks to a previous post! 🤫

Hi Tom, how are you? You weren't to well IIRC?

Hi Bungle, I’m fine, thanks for asking.
I had shoulder surgery last June (3rd surgery on it). It was getting to the point where it hurt a lot, especially with work.

We had a baby on the way so I wanted to get it done and out of the sling before she arrived. I need to take a total of a year off physical work, it’s been 9 months already - time flies!

I always wanted to be in a position to get off the tools and manage the biz, but could never do it. This forced me to do it, and so far I’m very happy. We actually do more without me working.

Plus I’ve been home and seeing my little girl growing every day, going out, taking her swimming etc, it’s lovely.

cleaniac

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:56 am »
I always wanted to be in a position to get off the tools and manage the biz, but could never do it. This forced me to do it, and so far I’m very happy. We actually do more without me working

I think that's what I need, not shoulder surgery, but something to push me into a point of no choice..

Dave Willis

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:05 am »
Doing nothing all day might be more boring/depressing than working on the tools. I think boredom and depression go hand in hand. I find life in general pretty boring and crap, yet others in a far worse position than me seem to cope remarkably well!

Tom-01

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2019, 11:55:00 am »
Doing nothing all day might be more boring/depressing than working on the tools. I think boredom and depression go hand in hand. I find life in general pretty boring and crap, yet others in a far worse position than me seem to cope remarkably well!

That's true. I do find now I can get a bit bored, or thinking I should be doing more with my time. Or wasting time. I have plans now which will keep me busy, and hopefully fulfilled.

Smudger

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:59 pm »
your right - need to stop tolling this forum and playing football manager .....

right off to go and do something more.   erm, ur, int...er..esting !  maybe, well after I've had a coffee....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:03 pm »
your right - need to stop tolling this forum and playing football manager .....

right off to go and do something more.   erm, ur, int...er..esting !  maybe, well after I've had a coffee....

Darran
Do you play Fottball Manager? I played in the 90s. Totally immersive.

Smudger

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 04:56:10 pm »
yes years ago me and the mrs lost 'days' playing it

ive got it on the iPad - I enjoy the challenge

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »
yes years ago me and the mrs lost 'days' playing it

ive got it on the iPad - I enjoy the challenge

Darran
I’m tempted. As you say, you can lose days.  :-[

G Griffin

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2019, 05:58:46 pm »
Good points, there.
It's said that exercise and routine are good for combatting depression.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2019, 07:02:36 pm »
Good points, there.
It's said that exercise and routine are good for combatting depression.

i agree with that griff....also if you ve got a little dog to look after and take for walks they can boost your mood,having a date night with the missus too ;)

for me this is where weight training 3 times a week comes into its own.....its restorative,gets the blood pumping and releases endorphins as well as building a strong,healthy body...i always feel great after a workout.....same with drumming,if im doing a 2 hour gig its intense and exhilarating at times......or even just rehearsing with the lads.....its all fun..... 8)
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
I used to be addicted to football manager a few years ago, fallen out of love with football though lately.

Pro cycling manager is my current game of choice

Ooooooog

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:47 pm »
Try taking LSD and pretending you’re a secret agent. Never get bored.

I did a bit of engineering also. It was only interesting when something flew off the chuck. Or someone got squashed by a robot.