Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleaniac

The truth be told.....
« on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:37 am »
I just don't know what to do.   ??? I am genuinely stuck!

This last year has been really positive with the window cleaning business & I am on the verge of making a key decision. Do i go for it, pop down to my commercial vehicle dealer buy another van, stick someone in it, and canvass my backside off? Or look at something else. My customers signup list is nudging 60k on the spreadsheet now (and that does not include extras) and i'm still only working 4 days a week, and that's not like working nuts days either..

The problem i have is I find the job BORING, anything window cleaning related, the equipment, the customers, the work, I feel like i have had enough of it (nearly 17 years now). Do i really want to commit myself to a business that I find dull for a further 5 or 10 years whilst i strive to make it grow with employees, dealing with complaints, dealing with bad attitudes on both the customer side and employee side?

Over the last 2 years the weather is starting to get to me too, both summertime when its too hot, and winter when its cold and damp plus its becoming harder to predict what the weather is doing than ever before, and yes to a degree with employees you mitigate that on a personal level, but still the window cleaning business is to a certain extent reliant on fairly decent weather, especially for growth and good profits .  I have a couple of other businesses that i can spend more time on, one the engineering business in Basingstoke, and another small business that is showing promise.

And then of course there is this whole Brexit thing, is it wise to finance another vehicle, and equipment and commit to employees and put myself under pressure to gain more customers, when half of them might sell up and leave the county anyway?

Need some perspective guys...any opinions?

nathankaye

Re: The truth be told.....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »
Mark, am i right in asking that it has been you in the past who has struggled with mental health?
Got bored in the past as well?
Or am i completely wrong.., my memory aint good these days with stress etc.
But if so, youve been pushing and pushing for this move for a while now. Its all weve been hearing.
Perhaps this push has taken its toil on you at the moment. Perhaps take a needed vacation if possible and relax.  Rethink/remotivate after a rest and  hopefully be in a better place to decide upon such a big deciscion?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

cleaniac

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 12:35:42 pm »
Yes that's correct. I had suffered from mental health issues in the past.

I suppose its nice to be in a position of being able to take the window cleaning business to the next level if i wish to.

I do have some holiday booked in May, so looking forward to that..

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:05 pm »
I think we all get bored at times, there are some of us that thrive on change ( although I was in engineering for nearly 30 years I used to change jobs (other than redundancy) after 3 years for a fresh challenge ) - it was simply my nature

I entered window cleaning 10 years ago - my aim was never to be on the glass after 7 years and hopefully by year five which by and large I managed - yes after 4 years I hated the glass but the thrill of getting another van, new work and new challenges have kept the interest going ! - it maybe you just need to move it forward another van does not mean 10k of debt - get a tidy van for 2k tops - diy it and train some one up ( train them before getting another van ) - really your not ready yet for an employee with only 4 days week  - but it may be the push you need

try not to think of these thinks as problems/hassle but new exciting challenges

as for Brexit - well I doubt there will be a mass exodus overnight (unless all your customers are high end management that are europeans) - new opportunities and trade will surface - what they will be no one yet knows - thats the fun of Brexit and the politicians will need to learn how to govern and make trade deals with new countries

as for your engineering company, I would have thought this was more vulnerable than the window cleaning

all the best

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 01:28:01 pm »
This is a very personal thing and only you can deal with it and make the decisions you need to for your future.

In my 50 years of working I have only had 2 jobs that I've have really enjoyed. They were 8 years out of the 50. These were the only jobs where I was eager to go to work each day.

Window cleaning isn't one of them. This is my first time as self employed. I am too old for the modern working world and drained of ambition to become a window cleaning force in our area. But I am glad that window cleaning has paid the rent and the bills for the past 15 years I've been doing it. We aren't rich but we get by. We have had some tough times when the weather isn't good etc.

Its all about how you see and perceive things.

I'm grateful that I don't have to do an 8 hour a day 5 and a half days a week. I couldn't do that anymore. I'm grateful for my customers who are the nicest people because they put up with me.  I can only do a third of the work I used to do 12 - 15 years ago.

I find window cleaning to have zero mental stimulus. My son says I'm the only person he has ever seen you can slip into a coma and still remain standing. But then I think that there are many more jobs with the same repetitive thing every day. I couldn't imagine being on an assembly line fitting the same part or parts to the same product day in and day out. In my opinion that's got to be worse than window cleaning. Can you imagine being on the checkout at Aldi?

We have some stresses which are window cleaning related, but compared to chasing monthly sales targets that increased every year, my stress is nothing when compared to what I had.

With window cleaning we have a regular customer base which we return to every month or every 2 months. I was talking to a retired carpet fitter and he was saying how fortunate we are. He had a really large customer base, but because he might only see a 'regular' customer every 4 or 5 years, he had to keep advertising to stay in business. 

My van is basically my biggest concern because without it I couldn't work.  I've had a front suspension failure on Friday, took it apart on Saturday and have ordered parts today which will be delivered shortly on the delivery van. Hopefully I will be out tomorrow.   I don't have to worry about an employee or paying his wages if times get tough.

We don't know what tomorrow will bring. What we do know is that economically things are going to get worse for most of us as the value of our money drops quicker than wages increase.

My son joined us July 2008. I had too much work for 1 person but not enough for 2. Then the credit crunch hit the country in October. I honestly was panicking as British steel was the main employer in our area and they were closing down. We rushed out to canvass like crazy as I feared that if we lost 30% of our customers we would be sunk.

I lost 3 customers in total. All three worked for British Steel. 2 came back within 6 months. The third didn't. I was happy about that as she was a right battle axe. 

I can remember Vin from Perfect Windows was the one who was the inspiration to keep pushing on. He said that we should continue as if nothing has happened. We didn't cause the problem; don't accept the monkeys of the ones who caused it.  We are still here and Vin was right. He was also new to window cleaning then and he is still here and doing well.

I think the best way forward is to franchise rather than employ. This way the franchisee will see the benefit in motivating himself to work hard and earn his keep, whereas an employee hasn't the same commitment.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:09 pm »
Yes that's correct. I had suffered from mental health issues in the past.

I suppose its nice to be in a position of being able to take the window cleaning business to the next level if i wish to.

I do have some holiday booked in May, so looking forward to that..

Could it also called the winter blues? The wife suffers from SAD syndrome. And lots more as well.  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:42:38 pm »
If you're bored earning 60k for easy part time work and being your own boss then IMO I doubt any "next step" is going to change that. Personally I would concentrate on making your current mindset better before committing to anything! There would be many "thrilled" to be in your "work" shoes.👍
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:43:12 pm »
personally I dont mind window cleaning as short hours see i dont get too bored with it all, listening to music on your ipod or downloading some podcasts/audiobooks,theres loads of interesting stuff out there for you to listen to while your working if you so wish....

most of the time im happy with the peace and quiet while window cleaning and the occasional chit chat and a coffee with my customers....time flies....

however i cant think of anything worse than pushing on and employing,putting another van on the road etc and all the hassle and stress that would go with it....its not for me....

i had a guy the other day...."why dont you get people working for you".....they always seems surprised when i say i dont want any..im happy the way i am.....as if being happy with your lot is not enough.... ::)roll ;D

bad weather doesnt bother me either...i see it as a challenge to see what i can still get cleaned! ;) 8)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 01:55:07 pm »
day off today as my van is in the garage having the diesel leak fixed on my heater....dropped it off at 830am then a nice walk to the barbers for my haircut,a good session in the gym,lunch and now a chilled afternoon before i pick it up at 4pm(ish),then ill go and chase a few debts up tonight at 6pm before im back at it tomorrow...

the flexibility,money,short hours,virtually stress free work makes me love window cleaning....whats not to like? 8)

simple and straightforward is good....i also thrive on routine..... :)

deeege

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 03:55:43 pm »
I can’t think of a single business that is less exposed to Brexit/financial crash than a domestic window cleaning round. Can you?

Leasing a van is hardly a massive commitment that is going to make or break you should you change your mind further down the line.

Do you struggle working alone and not having somebody to chat to whilst out working Marc? I get the feeling that’s the case and that’s why you start the occasion thread like that on here.

Not a dig, just an observation.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

cleaniac

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:57:17 pm »
Yeah I think I do struggle being on my own.

Some very good comments and opinions to take on board.

Shrek

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 04:16:42 pm »
I’d personally carry on as you are but without pushing it. Look to invest in something were you DONT have to work for the money but your money works for you instead.
Become a property millionaire or something instead , there’s a lot of southerners investing in Yorkshire because of the low property prices and high yields.
Iv always believed in having ‘something else’ to pay the bills , so I don’t have to rely on any one thing to feed my family.

cleaniac

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:19:42 pm »
I’d personally carry on as you are but without pushing it. Look to invest in something were you DONT have to work for the money but your money works for you instead.
Become a property millionaire or something instead , there’s a lot of southerners investing in Yorkshire because of the low property prices and high yields.
Iv always believed in having ‘something else’ to pay the bills , so I don’t have to rely on any one thing to feed my family.

That is actually something that I have been doing, a small venture that might come off.

Spotfree

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 04:46:17 pm »
I have to agree with Peavey, you have to ask yourself if your better getting bored being a window cleaner with the freedom it affords. Or would it be better being stuck working for someone where you have no freedom at all?
Just imagine being stuck at work at midday being on a downer and not being able to go home till 5 pm.

Or going to bed on a Sunday night with that feeling of dreading another week at "that place"  with all the whinging deadbeats stood around the coffee machine slagging the boss off and whining about the job. I've been there too many times and will never go back.

I'm still not bored of cleaning windows, 10 years on. If things do get a bit stale I just get a new brush or something, keeps me interested in what I'm doing. Maybe a nice new shiny van and some new equipment could be just what you need? Certainly would make me happy.

Missing Link

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »
£60k a year, working part time, and worried about buying a 2nd van?

I smell something.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

robbo333

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:35:22 pm »
Marc
Why you don't you get yourself a holiday, get away for a couple of weeks, get a bit of sun!
Sometimes, it takes a change of scenery to help you focus and help you make some decisions.
Whenever I go on holiday I always buy a pencil (not a pen) and an A5 drawing pad (no lines).
I come up with all kinds of crap...but it works for me!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Status Check

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »

This last year has been really positive with the window cleaning business & I am on the verge of making a key decision. Do i go for it, pop down to my commercial vehicle dealer buy another van, stick someone in it, and canvass my backside off? Or look at something else. My customers signup list is nudging 60k on the spreadsheet now (and that does not include extras) and i'm still only working 4 days a week, and that's not like working nuts days either..

The problem i have is I find the job BORING, anything window cleaning related, the equipment, the customers, the work, I feel like i have had enough of it (nearly 17 years now). Do i really want to commit myself to a business that I find dull for a further 5 or 10 years whilst i strive to make it grow with employees, dealing with complaints, dealing with bad attitudes on both the customer side and employee side?

Over the last 2 years the weather is starting to get to me too, both summertime when its too hot, and winter when its cold and damp plus its becoming harder to predict what the weather is doing than ever before, and yes to a degree with employees you mitigate that on a personal level, but still the window cleaning business is to a certain extent reliant on fairly decent weather, especially for growth and good profits .  I have a couple of other businesses that i can spend more time on, one the engineering business in Basingstoke, and another small business that is showing promise.

And then of course there is this whole Brexit thing, is it wise to finance another vehicle, and equipment and commit to employees and put myself under pressure to gain more customers, when half of them might sell up and leave the county anyway?

You're too comfortable with the money you bring in. If you are skint you will go out and work and enjoy it more. You need to buy another van and more equipment, spend loads on marketing and put yourselves under pressure again. If you place pressure on yourself your business will grow and you will enjoy it more. Get up to three vans then sack yourself as a window cleaner and hire yourself as marketing manager.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 05:41:39 pm »

You're too comfortable with the money you bring in. If you are skint you will go out and work and enjoy it more. You need to buy another van and more equipment, spend loads on marketing and put yourselves under pressure again. If you place pressure on yourself your business will grow and you will enjoy it more. Get up to three vans then sack yourself as a window cleaner and hire yourself as marketing manager.

This is good advice that works for me
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 06:00:34 pm »
I'd stop telling my customers I'll be with them on a particular day in the future. I have never worked to that degree of inflexibility. It would do anyone's head in surely?

tlwcs

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 06:33:31 pm »
I'd stop telling my customers I'll be with them on a particular day in the future. I have never worked to that degree of inflexibility. It would do anyone's head in surely?

Completely agree with this.
I used to work your way Marc and felt like the business was running me.

Shrek

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »
Another thing pal - instead of earning 11850 a year or whatever basic your taking out with dividends so there’s no tax , take more money out ,  pay some tax and live your life!
I’m not saying spend everything you earn but have some luxuries otherwise there’s no point in working just to get by, life’s too short to live like that pal

Bungle

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 06:57:41 pm »
I find window cleaning monotonous if truth be told. The thing that gets me through the day is £££. I earn decent money but never seem to have any, this spurs me on to start all over every week. Working for yourself can be a ballache, I never seem to switch off... I can be in the pub relaxing and get a text cancelling the clean for the next day and my mind then goes from being chilled to thinking lost income. Lost income won't kill me but it plays on your mind. Then you have your bookwork, I can spend a couple of hours on a Friday inputting all the work I've done that week and sorting rounds out for the next week. 

I'll be doing this until I retire and then I'd probably do a day here and there just to keep me occupied.

@ Marc Stock, I'd fill your week before even thinking about employing. But, would employing give you unwanted stress?

Anyone watch "Homes Under The Hammer"?
We look at them, they look through them.

G Griffin

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 07:07:41 pm »
Confucius say "stop thinking and rub the glass".
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Slacky

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 07:11:05 pm »

Blimey, that is a really bizarre way of thinking.

Where the hell are they going to go?

Wow, I mean why do you presume if there's going to be some sort of mass population exodus after Brexit (which there isn't) then why would they leave Surrey? Perhaps they'd all be drawn to Surrey. If this happens they've got to go somewhere. Why presume they're all going to leave sunny Guildford? Perhaps they'll all leave Hereford but not Surrey.

Where the heck did that thought come from? Why presume its all going to be bad. Maybe the next thing that happens in your business will be a positive thing and the population of Surrey will quadruple overnight.

G Griffin

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 07:19:53 pm »
He might have meant country; which is even more unlikely.
He needs to stop thinking  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
I struggle with the same issues marc, i put it down to mental health.

My moods are very up and down some days i think i want to go for it, expand, employ and feel great, then i can go through a period of thinking whats the point? why put your self under all the stress and hassle of growth and the extra workload. 

Like you i get very bored of this job, the same customers and the weather like you say wither too hot or too cold/wet and somedays i dont want to get out of bed. Then other days i just give in early and go home.

In winter i struggle to get motivated and then when its summer time i would rather be out on my bike.

I often think to myself would i be happier working 3 days a week, not worrying about money and just earning enough whilst having time to enjoy the simple things in life.

I suppose you have to really sit down with yourself and try to figure out what is it that i actually want....is it money? free time? the feeling of achievement ?

Ive thought about this a lot and personally i cant be arsed with years of building work, going through messers and all the hassle of it all without much to show for it until much further down the line.

My goals are very simple, all i want is one full time guy out in a van on his own, leaving myself to do 2-3 days a week in a seperate van.....With an aim of turning over about 80k. That will do me, pay him about 20 - 25k and i can live of the rest more than comfortably...

2 things for me

1. i cant do with stress or hassle of a big business but....
2. i cant do this job 5 days a week without going insane

Frankybadboy

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
it could be worst,you could end up like dazmond  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom-01

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 07:45:53 pm »
I find window cleaning monotonous if truth be told. The thing that gets me through the day is £££. I earn decent money but never seem to have any, this spurs me on to start all over every week. Working for yourself can be a ballache, I never seem to switch off... I can be in the pub relaxing and get a text cancelling the clean for the next day and my mind then goes from being chilled to thinking lost income. Lost income won't kill me but it plays on your mind. Then you have your bookwork, I can spend a couple of hours on a Friday inputting all the work I've done that week and sorting rounds out for the next week. 

I'll be doing this until I retire and then I'd probably do a day here and there just to keep me occupied.

@ Marc Stock, I'd fill your week before even thinking about employing. But, would employing give you unwanted stress?

Some good points, especially about being full before employing.

I used to watch Homes Under The Hammer everyday (I’m off the tools and have a bit too much time), I found myself wasting time watching that, then wasting more time looking for cheap houses, knowing full well I’m in no position to do anything like that yet. Window cleaning is the best way for me to earn money to be able to do that in the future.

So, there’s a goal there to keep me motivated with the business and move it forward. Marc probably needs a goal. There’s good money to be earned in the South East, have a future goal and use the ‘now’ to get to it.

Also I’ve now been looking at houses in Yorkshire thanks to a previous post! 🤫

Bungle

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 07:59:26 pm »

I used to watch Homes Under The Hammer everyday (I’m off the tools and have a bit too much time), I found myself wasting time watching that, then wasting more time looking for cheap houses, knowing full well I’m in no position to do anything like that yet. Window cleaning is the best way for me to earn money to be able to do that in the future.

So, there’s a goal there to keep me motivated with the business and move it forward. Marc probably needs a goal. There’s good money to be earned in the South East, have a future goal and use the ‘now’ to get to it.

Hi Tom, how are you? You weren't to well IIRC?
We look at them, they look through them.

P @ F

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 08:49:17 pm »

Completely agree with this.
I used to work your way Marc and felt like the business was running me.

Me too, I get there when I get there these days , if it don’t suit then laters taters !
Done my stint of where’s and when’s 😁
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 08:59:28 pm »

i agree....its a crazy way of working IMO.....im all for routine but NOT that rigid!! :o ;D

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 09:08:04 pm »
spring is just around the corner lads so chin up eh? :)

oh and get some hobbies,whatever interests YOU.....away from window cleaning....i love my life (most of the time) these days.. :)

tony day

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 09:15:23 pm »

Attention Seeker!!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 09:20:45 pm »
spring is just around the corner lads so chin up eh? :)

oh and get some hobbies,whatever interests YOU.....away from window cleaning....i love my life (most of the time) these days.. :)

I think we all need a "Dazmond plush toy"
for our van dashboards!! ;D
Comfortably Numb!

cleaniac

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:42 pm »
O.k.  for those who are saying..i'm an attention seeker, well you are entitled to your opinion i guess.. ::)roll

Listen guys, this isn't some sob story. Its something i am thinking deeply about, and the comments written have been very helpful so thanks  8).

You know window cleaning is a very solitary job, and sharing our opinions together all part of being a member of this forum.

Daz, I do have hobbies. 1. Motorcycles 2. Fixing up older cars 3. Model Making 4. Family holidays etc  ;D i'm not referring to the private things i enjoy in my life, this post is simply about the window cleaning business and my boredom with it after 17 years.

I think a few people have hit the nail on the head, and i concede that the next date system probably does make it more regimented, but as a result all of my customers know and expect me to clean, and pay me on time so from a business perspective its better, but not from a mindfulness perspective i suppose.

Gomo understands exactly what I am talking about.

Oddbodds...Thanks for the guidance its appreciated, you along with a few others on here are the saving grace of this forum tbh.

Someone mentioned about being too comfortable.. I suppose there is truth in that, and I have just reached a peak that to continue my interest i need to get out of the comfort zone. Money isn't a major issue, and we are more than comfortable...i'm just B O R E D!  :P 

As Lee agreed; he needs to keep pushing forward to be interested. I guess i'm just discovering that to stay interested in this game, i'm going to have to let go and employ, or franchise or whatever.. just for the sake of sanity

G Griffin

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 09:58:17 pm »
Well if we're talking about mental health then it's more serious.
Marc, maybe you're just bored and not just with window cleaning. It could still be the case if you did something else. And if you did something different you might be looking in the wrong place.
You need to change how you feel but is cleaning windows the reason for how you feel?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:53 pm »
Go and work for Lee Pryor, you'll be on more money and have no time to be bored! Win/win.👍
Comfortably Numb!

Slacky

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:40 pm »
Window cleaning is atrociously boring, we have to do things to alleviate that and the other things our profession had to deal with without them becoming tedious and having a negative impact on our mental health.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:47 pm »

The problem i have is I find the job BORING,

Yes, I find it boring too, but I do find the time flexibility element worth having.  I have a couple of little hobbies that stop me going around the twist.  One of them is writing, the other is a little voluntary work on odd occasions when I'm able.  Maybe you have some non-work interests that you could develop.  I suspect we are so conditioned by society to see moneymaking as a goal in its own right, we sometimes forget other values.

Slacky

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »
Audible, bluetooth headphones.

windowswashed

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:19 pm »
I've been window cleaning for 21 years and it gets absolutely boring at times. Get excited when I get big jobs. Prefer to do two or three big jobs a day then a dozen smaller ones in a day. I've had so much time off it's unreal. Don't wish to grow the business and expand, just enough to pay the bills with spending money for rainy days. Prefer time off and disappear doing my own thing a lot of the time to stop boredom creeping in.
If I was suffering depression I wouldn't put more pressure on myself employing others. It's great motivation for growing a round employing others but if you're struggling mentally with depression it can be an extra pressure that doesn't allow enough freedom to concentrate on your own health. Find some motivation or distraction that works for you and stick with it. We can't take our money to the grave with us and life is for living, not being stressed out worrying about work. Stress, depression, both big life takers if it isn't dealt with.

G Griffin

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 11:55:41 pm »
Boredom: the desire for desires.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Don Kee

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:39 am »
Employ someone now and push hard towards getting enough work for you both, you wont have time to think about being bored.

Stoots

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 08:15:44 am »
Just another though marc but how about finding a part time helper a couple of days a week?

give you a chance to dabble with employing to see if you like it and an insight into the pitfalls etc and who knows you might enjoy having some company a couple of days a week ?

if nothing else you might get an extra day off a week and if it doesnt work out you havent lost anything.

some days i like having someone in the van with me, it gives extra motivation in bad weather etc and other days you just want to be left alone!

Also, not to sound harsh but havent you been on a push to 60k for a year now ? from what ive read you dont seem to have got anywhere ? correct me if im wrong  :) but i thought you said you wernt far off year ago ? have you actually done anything to market/grow the round ? maybe if you havent its because you are not really that motivated to do so......

james peters

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:58 am »
I have been a wc for 27 years.
Its easy to get negative periods, when these periods arrive , I focus on what I do have , rather than what I don't have.
window cleaning is so boring, but has allowed me to be there fore my kids when they were younger, taling them to and from school.
it has given me a good stress free life

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:28 am »
O.k.  for those who are saying..i'm an attention seeker, well you are entitled to your opinion i guess.. ::)roll

Listen guys, this isn't some sob story. Its something i am thinking deeply about, and the comments written have been very helpful so thanks  8).

You know window cleaning is a very solitary job, and sharing our opinions together all part of being a member of this forum.

Daz, I do have hobbies. 1. Motorcycles 2. Fixing up older cars 3. Model Making 4. Family holidays etc  ;D i'm not referring to the private things i enjoy in my life, this post is simply about the window cleaning business and my boredom with it after 17 years.

I think a few people have hit the nail on the head, and i concede that the next date system probably does make it more regimented, but as a result all of my customers know and expect me to clean, and pay me on time so from a business perspective its better, but not from a mindfulness perspective i suppose.

Gomo understands exactly what I am talking about.

Oddbodds...Thanks for the guidance its appreciated, you along with a few others on here are the saving grace of this forum tbh.

Someone mentioned about being too comfortable.. I suppose there is truth in that, and I have just reached a peak that to continue my interest i need to get out of the comfort zone. Money isn't a major issue, and we are more than comfortable...i'm just B O R E D!  :P 

As Lee agreed; he needs to keep pushing forward to be interested. I guess i'm just discovering that to stay interested in this game, i'm going to have to let go and employ, or franchise or whatever.. just for the sake of sanity

i can honestly say ive never been bored for many years......theres always something to do,learn or enjoy IMO.....life is a gift and i thank my lucky stars every day i wake up in the morning....

Jonny 87

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 08:43:24 am »
I’m full time at the moment, mon-fri and to be honest, if I could do 60k a year, with one whole day off every week, I’d be incredibly happy to stay at that stage.

If your struggling with the “get up and go” even with those figures that you’ve mentioned, then no matter what level of business you achieve, I suspect you will feel similar.

The big question you have to ask yourself, is “what effect will expanding and pushing the business forward have on my mental health.”. There is more stresses, more responsibility.

The “Lee Pryor” stage, granted, is probably a lot more stress free for him now..... but that’s with everything in place, a business that is automated and nearly runs itself.

Remember the most stressful part of any business like ours, is having 2 or 3 vans, and 2 or 3 employees.

So for you, unfortunately, the most stressful part is still to Come.

Throw yourself into a hobby, look for a higher meaning in life, do whatever works. But make sure your on top of your mental health before making any big jumps. It can push some people under, I’ve seen it happen first hand.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

lal

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:21 am »
I started using Spotify recently for Music & Podcasts with earphones, i find that helps with the boredom.

dazmond

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 08:55:53 am »
i mentioned this a while back jonny when he was all ready for his "big push" to expand......some people cant handle stress as well as other people can....marc could be one of them....i know i am thats why i keep my life as simple and stress free as possible....

G Griffin

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 09:01:58 am »
Window cleaning isn't boring; finding it boring is the problem; your problem.
You can't blame a job or a task for how you feel. Look at yourself first.
Change how you feel don't change what needs to be done.
Sorry to be so deep so early but I'm bored at work.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:52 am »

Marc comes from a manufacturing background where you get to see a finished product, think of the sense of pride a bricklayer gets driving past a house that he built, its not just the boredom that makes repeat domestic window cleaning so soul destroying.
My advice to Marc would be to take on more one off jobs especially commercial where you get to see a difference for your days work, this certainly helped me.

G Griffin

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:37 am »

Marc comes from a manufacturing background where you get to see a finished product, think of the sense of pride a bricklayer gets driving past a house that he built, its not just the boredom that makes repeat domestic window cleaning so soul destroying.
My advice to Marc would be to take on more one off jobs especially commercial where you get to see a difference for your days work, this certainly helped me.
I know what you mean; it can seem like a thankless task.
But only if you let it. We're talking about feelings here (I'm getting all Tosh here) and I know it's probably too deep.
You feel bored; you are not bored. Feelings come and go. If not then there might be something more serious going on. I know Marc has had mental health problems. If that's the case, then there's a good chance he'll take his feeling of boredom with him in his next move, venture or job.
Don't let your job, customers etc determine how you feel. Easier said than done mind  ;D.
I wonder if Marc has children. They're usually good at alleviating boredom.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stoots

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2019, 11:10:10 am »

I know what you mean; it can seem like a thankless task.
But only if you let it. We're talking about feelings here (I'm getting all Tosh here) and I know it's probably too deep.
You feel bored; you are not bored. Feelings come and go. If not then there might be something more serious going on. I know Marc has had mental health problems. If that's the case, then there's a good chance he'll take his feeling of boredom with him in his next move, venture or job.
Don't let your job, customers etc determine how you feel. Easier said than done mind  ;D.
I wonder if Marc has children. They're usually good at alleviating boredom.

Ah the curse of the human race...the ability to think is our biggest asset and our biggest downfall. 

Nothing is inherently good or bad only thinking makes it so.

Remove thought and you remove the problem

cleaniac

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2019, 12:21:39 pm »
It's the window cleaning job I am bored with.  It's not like I am kicking about cans and rocking back and forth on the kerb, about to slit my wrists.  My life is very good right now, it's just this business, it's just not stiumulating enough for me that's all.

I think I will get another small cheap van, and get someone 1 or 2 days a week whilst I focus on my next move.  I may grow the business further see how that turns out, or sell some off and invest it into something else. We had a delivery of a brand new live tool for our Mazak over the weekend for a new manufacturing contract which was nice, and my other little venture is showing promise, plus the sun is out today so it could be a case of winter blues..Possibly.

The 60k turnover a year list is based on customers that haven't messed me about and have had at least 2 cleans. I don't count brand new signups in my established figures, and around 4k turned out to be either not today thanks, or one offs during my expansion, I'm sure some will call this year in the hope to restart, but they will get a surprise when I won't go back to a time waster.

Dave Willis

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2019, 12:32:44 pm »
I’m lucky, I’ve got a very low IQ like Dazmond so I never get bored. I try and make it even more exciting by mixing and messing the work up. Can’t stand routine. Sometimes I do my round backwards ..............tend to fall over a lot though.

james peters

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
something that has helped me this past year, is that my daughter has been working for me.
this was not planned and initialy , not what I would have wanted.
last march she decided to leave her college course.   she asked if she could help me as a stop gap until she could decide what to do.
I agreed to let her help me 2 days a week .
at first she was a of no benefit , and she was using water like iv never seen lol.
within 6 months she was with me 4 days , as that's all I work.  I am better of personally by around £10 per hour, after taking out her wages.
it has also been very nice to work together , she takes an interest in the business, and its nice company.
she has turned out to be a real asset... a  good worker, and the customers like her.

dazmond

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2019, 03:57:44 pm »
I’m lucky, I’ve got a very low IQ like Dazmond so I never get bored. I try and make it even more exciting by mixing and messing the work up. Can’t stand routine. Sometimes I do my round backwards ..............tend to fall over a lot though.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Status Check

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:13 pm »
It's the window cleaning job I am bored with.  It's not like I am kicking about cans and rocking back and forth on the kerb, about to slit my wrists.  My life is very good right now, it's just this business, it's just not stiumulating enough for me that's all.

I think I will get another small cheap van, and get someone 1 or 2 days a week whilst I focus on my next move.  I may grow the business further see how that turns out, or sell some off and invest it into something else. We had a delivery of a brand new live tool for our Mazak over the weekend for a new manufacturing contract which was nice, and my other little venture is showing promise, plus the sun is out today so it could be a case of winter blues..Possibly.

The 60k turnover a year list is based on customers that haven't messed me about and have had at least 2 cleans. I don't count brand new signups in my established figures, and around 4k turned out to be either not today thanks, or one offs during my expansion, I'm sure some will call this year in the hope to restart, but they will get a surprise when I won't go back to a time waster.

You need something to work for. You're into bikes so why not go and buy and a Panigale or a Thruxton TFC?  If the monthly payments are £350 a month go out and find £700 of new work. Set yourself some goals and reward yourself.

Smudger

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:22 pm »

Nail and head - well observed

its probably NO small coincidence that my history is engineering /manufacturing and we also run the rounds to a date ( whether you guys think thats odd stressful or not - it works well for me and the custards )
BUT from day one I always have and still do love the one off cleans - the results you get and the satisfaction is great so, yes I think possibly expand your work in these areas Marc

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »
Mazak ? - now there's a reason to be depressed  ;D ;D ;D ;D

(only joking - not a bad machine tool to have - just a funny programming language)

Darran

cleaniac

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 05:57:10 pm »
We tend not to bother trying to run gcode from the cad cam, by the time you have sorted the errors, it's easier to go native, and you don't want to risk slamming a tool through the chuck, it's not worth it.

cleaniac

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 06:05:11 pm »

You need something to work for. You're into bikes so why not go and buy and a Panigale or a Thruxton TFC?  If the monthly payments are £350 a month go out and find £700 of new work. Set yourself some goals and reward yourself.

I was actually at the MCN show this Sunday looking at the new MV Superveloce, and then popped in on the way back to see mark wilsmore...😁

NWH

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2019, 07:03:28 pm »
I have to agree with the above comment,I only have about half
A dozen I have to arrange with when I’m coming.
I’ve worked this way for years it doesn’t feel like work I go where I want when I want as long as my book tells me work is due,if I have a day like today when I want to stay local I do if I don’t ill go further afield,read the book feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers it’s an eye opener.
I think we all get fed up from time to time but you would do in any other job regardless of its benefits or downsides,I also find new equipment that helps- makes the job easier motivates me.
Hearing people doing other types of jobs motivates me more when I listen to them moaning about hours and pay,especially when they are so called jobs with what would be considered white collar and well paid.
What could be better than getting up in the morning and thinking to yourself I think I’ll go there today it’ll take me a morning and I’ll nearly earn someone else’s weeks pay in that time,it does it for me Marc.

windowswashed

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »
I come from an engineering background and window cleaning isn't the most interesting of jobs but it pays the bills and I am grateful it allowed me to pay my mortgage off early and many other things.  I break my work down  into pockets of areas. Run it like clockwork and look forward to when I've days off so I can get away in my camper I converted in my spare time so I can go kayaking different locations. Sometimes I stick a kayak on the roof of work van so I can kayaking when I'm near a river or the sea so that's my motivation from spring to autumn for ploughing through my daily work.
Keep myself busy when I'm working and take time out to do other things to stop boredom creeping in. Don't let stress and worry get the better of you. Better to stay busy with work and plan days or weeks off for leisure and keep to it otherwise "black dog" could creep in.

Stoots

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
Another thing is to actually switch off after work...

That's about the only thing I miss from being employed, clocking off and not giving work another thought till waking up the next day.

The thing with this game is there's always something to think about whether it's messing with website or sorting van out, bookeeping, the list goes on..

It's hard to detach, I think that must add up and become draining in itself, sometimes I wish I could turn my brain off...stupid thing won't stop thinking about window cleaning.

Don Kee

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 06:55:54 am »

That's about the only thing I miss from being employed, clocking off and not giving work another thought till waking up the next day.

The thing with this game is there's always something to think about whether it's messing with website or sorting van out, bookeeping, the list goes on..

It's hard to detach, I think that must add up and become draining in itself, sometimes I wish I could turn my brain off...stupid thing won't stop thinking about window cleaning.

Probably doesn’t help being on a window cleaning forum at quarter past 10 in the evening...

Stoots

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 08:12:31 am »

Probably doesn’t help being on a window cleaning forum at quarter past 10 in the evening...

Exactly my point and what i was thinking as i typed it.

For me forums are part of the job as well

dazmond

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 08:28:45 am »

im usually home,filled up my tank and put batteries on charge,updated CP,printed invoices for the next working day by 4pm-430pm every day.the only other thing i do work related is send a few texts around 7pm,thats it......(sometimes none at all!)

i dont have a website,any pole maintenance,connector changes,etc i usually do when tank filling up or on a half day.....

debt chasing is done on a monday evening (or tuesday if mon is a bank holiday)which usually consists of around an hours collecting and sending a few text reminders(collecting is down to 2 or 3 times a month)so some mondays are free....

i also check my online account on my phone for payments a few times a day but this takes 2 mins!

ordering new equipment,spares etc is usually done well in advance so i never run out of stuff(like resin or stationary for example).i recently ordered 10 pairs of showa 377s for £60 on amazon...they should last me at least 3 years!i also ordered some waterproof caterpillar boots as my old ones started leaking when we had a spell of wet weather the other week.....

that still leaves me with plenty of time for 3 trips to the  gym per week,rehearsing/gigging,walking the dog,chillin out on CIU,reading books,watching TV,eating out,seeing the family,missus,etc

Tom-01

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 08:51:54 am »

Hi Tom, how are you? You weren't to well IIRC?

Hi Bungle, I’m fine, thanks for asking.
I had shoulder surgery last June (3rd surgery on it). It was getting to the point where it hurt a lot, especially with work.

We had a baby on the way so I wanted to get it done and out of the sling before she arrived. I need to take a total of a year off physical work, it’s been 9 months already - time flies!

I always wanted to be in a position to get off the tools and manage the biz, but could never do it. This forced me to do it, and so far I’m very happy. We actually do more without me working.

Plus I’ve been home and seeing my little girl growing every day, going out, taking her swimming etc, it’s lovely.

cleaniac

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:56 am »
I always wanted to be in a position to get off the tools and manage the biz, but could never do it. This forced me to do it, and so far I’m very happy. We actually do more without me working

I think that's what I need, not shoulder surgery, but something to push me into a point of no choice..

Dave Willis

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:05 am »
Doing nothing all day might be more boring/depressing than working on the tools. I think boredom and depression go hand in hand. I find life in general pretty boring and crap, yet others in a far worse position than me seem to cope remarkably well!

Tom-01

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2019, 11:55:00 am »
Doing nothing all day might be more boring/depressing than working on the tools. I think boredom and depression go hand in hand. I find life in general pretty boring and crap, yet others in a far worse position than me seem to cope remarkably well!

That's true. I do find now I can get a bit bored, or thinking I should be doing more with my time. Or wasting time. I have plans now which will keep me busy, and hopefully fulfilled.

Smudger

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:59 pm »
your right - need to stop tolling this forum and playing football manager .....

right off to go and do something more.   erm, ur, int...er..esting !  maybe, well after I've had a coffee....

Darran

John Mart

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:03 pm »
your right - need to stop tolling this forum and playing football manager .....

right off to go and do something more.   erm, ur, int...er..esting !  maybe, well after I've had a coffee....

Darran
Do you play Fottball Manager? I played in the 90s. Totally immersive.

Smudger

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 04:56:10 pm »
yes years ago me and the mrs lost 'days' playing it

ive got it on the iPad - I enjoy the challenge

Darran

John Mart

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »
yes years ago me and the mrs lost 'days' playing it

ive got it on the iPad - I enjoy the challenge

Darran
I’m tempted. As you say, you can lose days.  :-[

G Griffin

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2019, 05:58:46 pm »
Good points, there.
It's said that exercise and routine are good for combatting depression.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2019, 07:02:36 pm »
Good points, there.
It's said that exercise and routine are good for combatting depression.

i agree with that griff....also if you ve got a little dog to look after and take for walks they can boost your mood,having a date night with the missus too ;)

for me this is where weight training 3 times a week comes into its own.....its restorative,gets the blood pumping and releases endorphins as well as building a strong,healthy body...i always feel great after a workout.....same with drumming,if im doing a 2 hour gig its intense and exhilarating at times......or even just rehearsing with the lads.....its all fun..... 8)

Stoots

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
I used to be addicted to football manager a few years ago, fallen out of love with football though lately.

Pro cycling manager is my current game of choice

Ooooooog

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:47 pm »
Try taking LSD and pretending you’re a secret agent. Never get bored.

I did a bit of engineering also. It was only interesting when something flew off the chuck. Or someone got squashed by a robot.