Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Grumpaflump

New to carpet cleaning
« on: February 14, 2019, 10:45:51 am »
My boss has tasked me with get a carpet cleaner for domestic and commercial cleaning.... I have Googled and you tube until I am about to pass out. So I thought I would ask some professionals for advice....

Basically, what do I need to invest in to get started? Which brands are with investing in?

Many thanks in advance

Jonathan Evans

Re: New to carpet cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
The best thing would be to invest in one of the many hands on carpet cleaning days. Depending where you are the three that I know and can recommend are (north to south) Northumberland  John Kelly at Restoremate.  Chris  or Kerry at Alltec in Hertfordshire or Solutions in Cornwall. There are others but I have no experience of them. There is also Texatherm but I can't think where they are.
Hope this helps.

RPCCS

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:57:46 pm »
Also Derek Bolton at Cleansmart in Nottingham.
 I have trained under both, equally as good, both happy to help out witjh advice if you get stuck on a job.
Cheers Rich

Grumpaflump

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 09:09:53 am »
We are located in Ashford Kent.....so the Herts one I think would be closest....

Grumpaflump

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:39:48 am »
Has anyone been on a Prochem Course?

scott johns

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 06:52:01 pm »
you wont be disappointed at alltec im going there Monday for upholstery course
also they service my alltec machine which is 3 years old and still no problems.
best of luck

Grumpaflump

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:42:13 pm »
you wont be disappointed at alltec im going there Monday for upholstery course
also they service my alltec machine which is 3 years old and still no problems.
best of luck

Looks like all their training days are months away..... :-[

scott johns

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »
just had a quick look alltec got commercial carpet course next month give them a call Monday
as these courses sell out quickly all the best you will learn a lot.

scott johns

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »
went to alltec Monday for my machine to be serviced and paul pearce   was there teaching
advanced upholstery course  so I poped in to have a listen what a course it was. learnt a lot
in half a day well worth poping to alltec as always great service

Jennifer w

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:40 pm »
How much discount do you get paid per post to promote them Scott?

scott johns

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 05:38:24 pm »
that would be telling but after many years of getting equipment off them and servicing all my equipment to a first class service why wouldn't I tell others.
they are all lovely people there as well nothing is to much for them, perhaps you should go there yourself and then you would realise what you have been obviously missing out on there.
happy cleaning

Jennifer w

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 09:37:21 pm »
Hi Scott,

I went on a course there maybe 16-17 years ago.
A guy in a bandana of all things teaching carpet repair, and a chap who was more into marketing than carpet cleaning, but talked some sense.
I guess it’s under new owners now.?
The best bit was the other people on the course, all from different walks of life trying to get into carpet cleaning....
I still have a carpet scrubber and an aqua 40 I think it was from them kicking about somewhere.
A guy who’d done the marketing programme turned up to show off his Porsche, which was really odd.....
A probably ten year plus old motor at the time , so not a shiny new one, and not a classic...., that was what kind of put me off!!!!!

Cheers

Jen

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 09:03:40 am »
Jen things have changed a lot. I had a similar experience. Made me go elsewhere too.
New owners are great people. The guy with the Porsche lol.
Not sure what he is doing now? I think it is property. But I think you would be surprised how different it is.
Best wishes.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:26:04 am »
Alltec Brought  the Joe  polish marketing system to the UK, one of the tag lines they used was ‘Zero to Porsche  In 6 months’ ( or something like that) like you said some guy told his story how he went from being a broke carpet cleaner to living the dream and driving a Porsche, how he gave up his J.O.B ( Just Above Broke) and created a business

It was a great system that taught carpet cleaners that they should aim to create  a profitable business not just a Job,

Last thing I heard the guy was posting videos on YouTube in his undies talking about his mental illness.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Robin Ray

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 01:49:56 pm »
Alltec Brought  the Joe  polish marketing system to the UK, one of the tag lines they used was ‘Zero to Porsche  In 6 months’ ( or something like that) like you said some guy told his story how he went from being a broke carpet cleaner to living the dream and driving a Porsche, how he gave up his J.O.B ( Just Above Broke) and created a business

It was a great system that taught carpet cleaners that they should aim to create  a profitable business not just a Job,

Last thing I heard the guy was posting videos on YouTube in his undies talking about his mental illness.

Everything has a price and "success" has a high price.

scott johns

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 06:16:57 pm »
hi Jennifer
a lot has changed in the last 5 years as now the owner and his wife are there all the time and
they are lovely people .the guy that owned it previously was all about marketing as the last 2 posts
explained. now when you go there you are more than welcome and everyone is very polite and helpful
I had to go there last week for a new pump head and a full service machine running perfect again.
im sure you would see a dramatic change in the company now.
all the best and happy cleaning.

Timmy Boy

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 10:07:00 am »
Prochem course is pretty good as a starter course but the other courses mentioned are delivered by experienced carpet professionals. I did the Prochem one in 2004 ish and found it to be a good foundation but it is based entirely around using their products. I started off with a Prochem Commanche (the machine that used to trip everyones electric!) - which was a twin vacuum machine. Don't waste your time on mickey mouse equipment either, to get a good setup you are looking at £3k + new so if you have more like £2k look on eBay for a second hand bit of kit. The machines themselves are relatively simple inside to maintain and parts are readily accessible. Makes I would look at are Prochem, Ashby, Alltec, Airflex but i am sure others will suggest some more good brands. Ones I would avoid are Rug Doctor, Vax, Karcher. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Tim

RPCCS

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 08:17:26 am »
Prochem course is pretty good as a starter course but the other courses mentioned are delivered by experienced carpet professionals. I did the Prochem one in 2004 ish and found it to be a good foundation but it is based entirely around using their products. I started off with a Prochem Commanche (the machine that used to trip everyones electric!) - which was a twin vacuum machine. Don't waste your time on mickey mouse equipment either, to get a good setup you are looking at £3k + new so if you have more like £2k look on eBay for a second hand bit of kit. The machines themselves are relatively simple inside to maintain and parts are readily accessible. Makes I would look at are Prochem, Ashby, Alltec, Airflex but i am sure others will suggest some more good brands. Ones I would avoid are Rug Doctor, Vax, Karcher. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Tim
There is also a buy and sell site of cleaning equipment on Facebook, called Clean Trader, you need to ask to join, but there are loads of second hand machines and equipment on there.
Cheers Rich