Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

harleyman

this is my patch
« on: January 19, 2019, 05:43:40 pm »
got chatting to another windy to day he was telling me he had a stand off with competition few months back because this guy had bought work and he deemed every thing near by was his patch, told him in no unserten terms to jog on you've only bought good will see what happens.

Phil J

Re: this is my patch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:00:13 pm »
Torch his van!!!

DeLuce

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:18 pm »
Hehe, haven’t had that one for a  long time!!
Must be an alpha male. ;D
It's best just to smile and nod, and then carry on as normal!

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:23:03 pm »
Lol if he said that to me I would deliberately try and get more work there just to hack him off and laugh and wave evey time I saw him 😂😂😂😂 plonker

Spotfree

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 08:02:53 pm »
I wonder how all the residents would feel about "belonging" to him.

Suggest he writes to them all explaining they now have no free choice over their window cleaning service as they all live on his patch, see what response he gets to that.

Seriously though, there's a 70-year-old window cleaner near me. He tells me 40 years ago this truly was his patch, and if a customer messed him around then they would have to do without. Absolutely awesome!

Maybe we would all have easier customer relations if we all sat down and negotiated a patch each. Condensed work that all had to sing to my tune, if only!

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:36:37 pm »
got chatting to another windy to day he was telling me he had a stand off with competition few months back because this guy had bought work and he deemed every thing near by was his patch, told him in no unserten terms to jog on you've only bought good will see what happens.

Love it when people like that move into my patch 😎😂😂 i mean my areas where i work.   With that type of attitude they dont seem to last too long and that means more customers for everyone else
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:05:00 pm »
I had run-in about 5 years ago with this plank who thought he owned an area that I was working in. I had picked up a new customer by way of a recommendation and it turned out that she was one of his, and he was understandably less than happy to see me cleaning her windows. I was unaware she was a customer of his until he told me that I was canvassing his customers, and didn't want to see me working there again.

I put him right on the two counts: 1) I didn't canvass his customer as I was recommended to her, and 2) In my view people can choose who they want to clean their windows and I work where I choose to work.

I picked up several more of his old customers the next month, now he has none left there as far as I know.

Every customer who came to me said he had an aggressive attitude and he turned up when he felt like it. The best bit is that all the ones I picked up from him are all model customers!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Plankton

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:52 pm »
Harleyman did you take offer of work that was for sale? What would be your thoughts if someone was trying to pinch those customers from under you?

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 12:34:08 am »
There was once 4 cleaners on the same street where I was working not long ago....it's saturated round here I see another window cleaning van most days...must have counted over 20 different ones and I only work in a 5 mile radius.

harleyman

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 07:12:50 am »
firstly customers don't belong to any one its a free choice who they want clean their windows I have lost countless customers over the years from new window cleaners offering  better prices e t c  gets under the skin a bit but you just carry on there is enough work out there that is the nature of the game we are in if people cant deal with it they are  in the wrong game .imo  no I didn't take the work  decided to   leave it

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 08:34:25 am »

I could understand a persons frustration when they have spent normally a good amount of money to purchase a round, only to loose the work. But even in that scenario, its nobody's fault but the nature of the game and the gamble anyone makes when purchasing work.
However then to assume that all work in the same area belongs to them is just ludicous and shows they have some loose wiring somewhere
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 01:42:06 pm »
we have had this 2 times now first time outside of tesgos in braintree some one had a go at one of the staff , hubby got back to the van and was told , he went stright over to the guys van where he was have his dinner  and dragged the said window cleaner out of the window of his van via his hair and had a chat with 

second time my daughter was threaten when putting flyers  out in colchester that didnt end well either not good when her dad and bother are two streets away that didnt end well for them at all 

Bungle

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »
Would you say your hubby has a violent streak Sue?
We look at them, they look through them.

Plankton

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 02:18:36 pm »
Think he's just got a particular way of speaking to people so he's understood the first time round.

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 02:24:35 pm »
Think he's just got a particular way of speaking to people so he's understood the first time round.

It certainly looks that way.  It didnt take much for him to escalate the situation does it and if the law was involved it would be clear who crossed the lines.
Admittedly if someone threaten my daughter I dont honestly know what i would do in that situation.
I understand hes from the " travellors way of life" but again thats no excuse.
Just saying

Some years ago when i was a teen, a woman staff member was threatened by the local village idiot who thought he was untouchable. This time he was wrong as her hubby was very much into his weights and at 6ft and just as wide with solid muscles, who wasnt to be messed with, heard of it, he went and easily found the said person and pinned him against a wall, at which the said person jabbed him in the kneck with a needle and kept it there and told the chap to let go and back off. Needless to say he did and then for the near future this guys life was turned upside down as he didnt know if he got aids from that encounter!
You never know what idiots carry and are prepared to do.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

harleyman

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 02:30:58 pm »
I must say that is appalling behaviour makes the window cleaning business look un professional imo

jk999

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 03:50:28 pm »
When they come to me i tell them  feel free to ask my customers if they want them doing by them they never follow through my opinion is if you all get on in this game what a better life it would be

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 05:14:56 pm »
I must say that is appalling behaviour makes the window cleaning business look un professional imo

Which is why if you don't act violently or drag your knuckles and can string a couple of sentences together nicely you'll get loyal customers who are pleased to have you.
It's a game of three halves!

Johnny B

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 09:26:25 pm »
When they come to me i tell them  feel free to ask my customers if they want them doing by them they never follow through my opinion is if you all get on in this game what a better life it would be

In the case I mentioned above, the other windy knocked on his ex (my new) customer to remonstrate with her. She sent him away with a flea in his ear as she told me when I also called back on her the same evening to see if she was alright.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 09:35:30 pm »
It's the opposite where I work....I've had customers  angry with other cleaners in the past for canvassing/leafleting my jobs! ;D

I just say it's a free country they can go where they like.... ;).....their not mind readers......they don't know which jobs I clean.....
price higher/work harder!