This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

barrylanc

Atrium window cleaning
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »
Anyone cleaned Atrium windows?
When I first cleaned them many years ago I just used water fed pole. They looked awful the next day.
Then I used a non scratch pad the next time and they looked better. Along with a squeegee for a crisp finish but took ages.
Looking at the Qleen system with a rotating brush head but looks expensive for a job every 6 months. Anyone used one?

Spruce

Re: Atrium window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 07:49:53 pm »
Anyone cleaned Atrium windows?
When I first cleaned them many years ago I just used water fed pole. They looked awful the next day.
Then I used a non scratch pad the next time and they looked better. Along with a squeegee for a crisp finish but took ages.
Looking at the Qleen system with a rotating brush head but looks expensive for a job every 6 months. Anyone used one?

We clean this entrance atrium (and everything else)

and the main atrium once a year. Its part of our local primary and high school.

We have to clean both atriums 3 times. The first removes the millions of spiders, webs and nests. The second to get the majority of the dirt off and the third to get the job right.

The problem we have is that the glass is secured inside a framework of aluminium box sections. Water gets into the inside of those box sections and then slowly drains out and down the glass below leaving streaks when dried.

In 10 years we haven't been able to change the way we have to work. On the second and third pass we do the top run of windows and drop down and do the second row until we have finished. We also have a three story run of windows next to this atrium which we try to do at the same time to allow plenty of time for each run of windows to dry.

When I quoted for the job I didn't take the extra time we needed to complete this section of clean.  But we have found that we are able to catch the time up over the rest of the job.

I certainly would spend money on additional equipment which I doubt in our case will speed up the clean.

Cleaning both the atriums only takes around 9 1/4 hours in total.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:02 pm »
I thought an atrium was on top of a building bit like a green house ????  We do a couple wfp never had a problem with it just give it a thorough scrubb and rinse like any first clean jobs a good un

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 05:04:38 pm »
I thought an atrium was on top of a building bit like a green house ????  We do a couple wfp never had a problem with it just give it a thorough scrubb and rinse like any first clean jobs a good un

Interestingly, you are right. Its a skylight type of roof structure surrounded by walls. Its just that everyone in the school management called it an atrium so that's what I call it. They know what I'm talking about so we understand each other.

I'm still trying to work out the difference between a conservatory and an orangery. :D  It appears to be that the people in the posh areas seem to consider their conservatories as orangeries.

Anyway back to atria.  Any idea what the correct name for this wall made of glass with a solid roof is called Splash and dash?

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 05:24:26 pm »

Interestingly, you are right. Its a skylight type of roof structure surrounded by walls. Its just that everyone in the school management called it an atrium so that's what I call it. They know what I'm talking about so we understand each other.

I'm still trying to work out the difference between a conservatory and an orangery. :D  It appears to be that the people in the posh areas seem to consider their conservatories as orangeries.

Anyway back to atria.  Any idea what the correct name for this wall made of glass with a solid roof is called Splash and dash?

I have no idear what it’s called I would call it a raised entrance way ?..
lol I have a few posh customers that have conservatory’s when they phone up wanting a quote and say they have an orangery it just increases the price 😂😂😂😂 , needless to say we love orangery s

NWH

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 09:11:04 am »
The finish on these is worse if they have no angle for the water the run off,I find if the water just sits on top they can look awful.
I just explain I can clean it but the results won’t be great as it’s flat.

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »
The finish on these is worse if they have no angle for the water the run off,I find if the water just sits on top they can look awful.
I just explain I can clean it but the results won’t be great as it’s flat.

We do the top run of windows and sweep the water off the ledges with the brush ,usually by the time we do the next level down it’s not running with water , if it’s a particularly fussy customer we go over the ledges as well with a squeegee to remove 99% of the water this stopes it running down on to the pain underneath , we do several car show rooms this way that are right on a main road and get filthy ,it’s very rare that we ever get any track lines doing it like this