Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

Can you use multiple 4040 filters in an ro system ?
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »
Has/Is anyone doing this ?

I'm not after more output but trying to get longer life out of the filters - normally they last 12 to 14 months before I start to use resin but this last one has gone south in just under 6 months

if I had 2 filters would this just increase the water output capacity or get a lower TDS reading ?

and how would they fit together ?

cheers

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

John Mart

Re: Can you use multiple 4040 filters in an ro system ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:17:50 pm »
I don’t get the huge variation. My current one is 6/7 months now and still producing 7 from 300. By far the best return. The last one was knackered after 3 months and the two before 10/12 months and by then up to 30.

david mark

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:10 pm »
I had 2 together but found that the pressure dropped so only use 1 now

Don Kee

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:45:08 pm »

I'm not after more output but trying to get longer life out of the filters - normally they last 12 to 14 months before I start to use resin but this last one has gone south in just under 6 months

if I had 2 filters would this just increase the water output capacity or get a lower TDS reading ?

cheers

Darran

I would imagine this would just be the same principle as the smaller RO’s.

So if you put two 4040 membranes in series (ie the waste from the first membrane becomes the input for the second) then the second membrane would get a battering as the ingoing water (the waste from membrane one) would be much higher than the mains water.

If you put them in parallel (ie both membranes are fed from main viabthe use of a “Y piece” or whatever) then both membranes would wear (in theory) the same and evenly. But apart from producing a heck of a lot more water, you wouldn’t take any ‘load’ off either membrane.

John Mart

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:58:08 pm »
Two filters will reduce your waste. Assuming you’re metered, you should save money I’d think.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 11:27:31 pm »

cheers

Darran

Weren't you going to look at Vin's setup from Perfect Windows using with a di vessel and granulated carbon fines as a prefilter Darran?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Perfect Windows

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 12:25:49 pm »
If you're getting months from a 4040 membrane (you say filters but I assume you mean membrane) then there's a problem that a second 4040 won't fix.

I struggle to remember but I think my current 4040 is roughly six years old. Input is 300-400 depending on season, output 9-12 depending on temperature, season and whatever else makes it change. Its lowest was (I think) 8 when brand spanking new. I think I went through four or so in my first couple of years.  I lose track now, as I'm an old fart, but that all sounds about right.

I'm boring on the subject but I think you need to bleach your system to eliminate biological contamination. It's a PITA but it's much better than spending £250 every six months.  You also want a dedicated tap with a hose permanently connected if your setup allows it, so contamination doesn't get into the system.  If I disconnect the tap for any length of time, I'm very careful about where the hose connector sits.

Vin

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:17 pm »
Are we on about membranes or prefilters? ???

Walter Mitty

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 10:59:35 pm »
My 4040 has been in for about 9 years now.  Mind you, production has slowed and I'm getting output of around 020 from tap of 200.  It gives me about 30 litres per hour of pure.  I know those aren't great readings but they're enough for a sole trader.  I'll leave it in there as long as I can get away with it.  I reckon this will be its last winter though.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 11:07:31 pm »
Do you use a booster pump Smudger ?

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 03:10:22 pm »
cheers guys

sorry, we re talking membranes

yes, I had forgotten that vin uses a di vessel - perhaps its time to get off me arse, buy some carbon and plumb it in.

Vin -  system is dedicated ie.. permanently plumbed into the mains water and never disconnected - however its never be cleaned regards bleaching so when I get the next membrane ill clean the system ( I did bleach my old Merlin system - can't remember if the bleach will hurt the membrane or not ?? )

yes on a meter but only for incoming water - we don't pay for the waste.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 03:24:48 pm »
cheers guys

sorry, we re talking membranes

yes, I had forgotten that vin uses a di vessel - perhaps its time to get off me arse, buy some carbon and plumb it in.

Vin -  system is dedicated ie.. permanently plumbed into the mains water and never disconnected - however its never be cleaned regards bleaching so when I get the next membrane ill clean the system ( I did bleach my old Merlin system - can't remember if the bleach will hurt the membrane or not ?? )

yes on a meter but only for incoming water - we don't pay for the waste.

Darran

Yes, bleach will destroy the membrane.

If you search for posts by me mentioning bleach you'll find the instructions. Just out of the door or I'd find it.

Vin

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 09:58:58 pm »
I’ve seen a system where the first RO membrane is “spent” and producing at around 30-40PPM.

This water is then filled into an IBC tank then pumped at pressure into the second 40/40 which is new.

Basically like double Di.

We’re getting 12-14months out of membranes and doing around 2500L pure a day.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 11:08:27 am »
Cheers vin

I didn't fancy it like a double di - space and then lots extra waste altho the waste from RO 2 could be sent back to RO 1

I think I will go for a clean and a  di bottle  of carbon

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:40 pm »
Ok - I have now sterilised the system filled a di bottle with carbon ( got covered in black dust ) fitted new filters and vy air low pressure 4040 membrane 👍

After 10 minute flush then started production water in is 320 water out 003 😁

Now to see how long it lasts

Darran

p1w1

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:11 pm »
Ok - I have now sterilised the system filled a di bottle with carbon ( got covered in black dust ) fitted new filters and vy air low pressure 4040 membrane 👍

After 10 minute flush then started production water in is 320 water out 003 😁

Now to see how long it lasts

Darran
do you still need to use a carbon block filter doing it this way

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:10:54 am »
No - the activated carbon is just like a big carbon block

It’s supposed to be better and last longer as there are more edges and surface area for the carbon to absorb the impurities

Darran

p1w1

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 04:53:58 pm »
Thanks

Perfect Windows

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:46 pm »

It’s supposed to be better and last longer as there are more edges and surface area for the carbon to absorb the impurities

Darran

At about 500L of pure a day, the guys change their charcoal every nine months or so.

Vin

p1w1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 05:39:32 pm »

Darran

At about 500L of pure a day, the guys change their charcoal every nine months or so.

Vin
What size resin vessel are they using Vin