This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

Ice
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:26:22 am »
So, working yesteeday at around 3 degrees but my water still freezing around the back of the houses.
I trad poled the window over the front door so the front step was dry but plenty of ice around the back.
I left cards throuh the door and on the back gate warning of ice.
What do you guys do? Ice melt etc not an option really.
At least i had hot water, so working was ok.

dazmond

Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:51:57 pm »
So, working yesteeday at around 3 degrees but my water still freezing around the back of the houses.
I trad poled the window over the front door so the front step was dry but plenty of ice around the back.
I left cards throuh the door and on the back gate warning of ice.
What do you guys do? Ice melt etc not an option really.
At least i had hot water, so working was ok.

why is ice melt grit not an option?i always have some in my van in a little tub and a sweeping brush in the colder months.....water shouldnt be freezing at 3c...its certainly never happened to me unless its 0c-/-2c.....

i would avoid getting water on footpaths/doorways  as much as possible on really cold days if its freezing on the ground straight away,usually a quick sweep of any standing water stops it and a light sprinkle of grit if the customer doesnt mind(ask first)....

i wouldnt leave a note warning of ice around a customers property myself if their out....your asking for trouble IMO....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

Re: Ice
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:29 pm »
Yesterday was the coldest start of the year (this end of the year) so far for me and my first house at 9.00 am the conservatory which had the rain from the previous evening on it was frozen. I guess it was above freezing in the early sun but about minus 1 to 2 in the shade.

My warm (immersioned) water soon washed it off and raised the temperature so it didn't refreeze. The back door (in the sun) I washed as normal but the front door was in the shade and so I bladed it traditionally.

The next house had a window about a foot square in the front door which I did damp cloth dry cloth to avoid water on the flagstones.

As the forecast wasn't for a freeze overnight I didn't brush away water or put salt down - but I do carry a small stiff broom and dishwater salt if I am "watering" paths.

Bit of common sense really. If it were to be below freezing in the day and especially late afternoon onwards then I will brush and salt paths or trad main usage doors.
It's a game of three halves!