This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Smudger

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2019, 08:55:13 am »
I have to hand it to you

you've worked wonders on this - nice bit of innovation

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:31 am »
How is it being sealed? 🤔
How is what being sealed ?

Your burn chamber to your heat exchanger tube. How is that joint being sealed

I can confirm the transit egr is stainless steel but it’s also much smaller than you have got

Yes i think 22cm overall , my main concern with it was internal liquid to gas ratio and wether enough gases could pass though unrestricted,
The tube is clamped but the burner tube has been built up with collars made from the offcuts of the chrome tube , each one has been smothered with fire gum before the next one has been added , all nicely sandwiched and fume free so far , the good thing with the fire gum is that it dries pure white , if any gases are escaping it shows right away by leaving soot deposits , very easy to see .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:15 am »
I have to hand it to you

Darran

Thanks Darran  , I have thought of a way of making the unit more compact and more of a plug and play kind of thing , I would also have the exchangers fabricated by a time served welding shop , I can weld but not to the standard that I would use on an of the shelf product .
An interested person would just have to purchase the unit themselves , make sure it works as an air heater and then either cut off the heat exchanger on the device themselves or have somebody do it for them , then just bolt what I supply on .
Cutting the original exchanger off is the easy bit by the way !

Spruce

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2019, 02:10:37 pm »
I have to hand it to you

Darran

Thanks Darran  , I have thought of a way of making the unit more compact and more of a plug and play kind of thing , I would also have the exchangers fabricated by a time served welding shop , I can weld but not to the standard that I would use on an of the shelf product .
An interested person would just have to purchase the unit themselves , make sure it works as an air heater and then either cut off the heat exchanger on the device themselves or have somebody do it for them , then just bolt what I supply on .

I'm impressed. I'm just wondering though how you would deal with carbon buildup in your fabricated heat exchanger. Carbon buildup is a gradual thing.

On a side note, my Eberspacher airtronic failed to start this morning for the first time since I installed it second hand 10 years ago. It was the fuse holder full of crud. Cleaned it out and replaced the fuse - all working now; thankfully before the big freeze forecast sets in.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2019, 07:47:15 pm »
I have to hand it to you

Darran

I'm impressed. I'm just wondering though how you would deal with carbon buildup in your fabricated heat exchanger. Carbon buildup is a gradual thing.

On a side note, my Eberspacher airtronic failed to start this morning for the first time since I installed it second hand 10 years ago. It was the fuse holder full of crud. Cleaned it out and replaced the fuse - all working now; thankfully before the big freeze forecast sets in.
Cheers Spruce , I still think that the best buy here has been the Numax MF by far  ;D ;D ;D
I still cant believe Im running all this with 85 amp and am still getting home with a battery on float !
I have had the unit apart a few times since fitted 2 weeks ago  and there is no sign of any kind of deposits so far , probably down to the fact that it is running flat out constantly .
Im thinking that the next thing I shall do is to get a piece of the same size tube as the burner tube and swage it so it connects like a normal exhaust , then swap out the 10 mm copper for 8mm , this should give me tighter coilability , I will have the exhuast in the same place but have the water in /out at the end of the tube  , the end of the tube will be flange plated and another flange plate with no hole except for the in and out water pipes , the coil can compression fit to this giving me the ability to slide the whole coil out should it need decoking at any point .   

a900

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
Haha. Is it just me but that last post wasn’t going in. Think I need pictures 😂😂

You running a split charge on your battery?

I’ve noticed with my webasto 90 that the stop start is what drains the battery. Good thing about your set up is running it flat out all the time is never over the top. The webasto 90 doesn’t need to run full wack all the time. But it should when I fit my second man heat exchanger

I’m intrigued how you have set it up with a pressure relief valve. Giving me ideas. .

How do you get on with running it full wack regarding noise all day? Mine is much louder on first start up when it’s running 9.1kw. Moderate under normal use. Then faint under idle conditions.

P @ F

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2019, 09:49:45 pm »
No split charge .........How it basically happened , a year ago this very day as it happens , my van battery let me down and my leisure battery was beginning to do the same , Spruce dropped into conversation that Numax did this multifunction battery , I decided to get the Numax and fit it as the van battery and run my system off it aswell , being as I was toying with solar charging at the time I thought it might be a good idea to link it all and see what happened .
The result has been that the battery has not been out of the van to charge for a year today !
And now it also runs the diesel heater too , Im doing 6 hours every day with the pump and heater constantly going and running the vans needs too , plus I am getting home fully charged .

dazmond

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2019, 10:02:24 pm »
No split charge .........How it basically happened , a year ago this very day as it happens , my van battery let me down and my leisure battery was beginning to do the same , Spruce dropped into conversation that Numax did this multifunction battery , I decided to get the Numax and fit it as the van battery and run my system off it aswell , being as I was toying with solar charging at the time I thought it might be a good idea to link it all and see what happened .
The result has been that the battery has not been out of the van to charge for a year today !
And now it also runs the diesel heater too , Im doing 6 hours every day with the pump and heater constantly going and running the vans needs too , plus I am getting home fully charged .

Sounds almost too good to be true!it'll be interesting to see how long the heater lasts using it day in/day out......and temperature at the brush head....
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2019, 10:04:07 pm »
The pressure relief valve has been placed after the heater and before the hose reel , when the Univalve is shut the pressure hops to about 50 psi and the PRV opens up sending the hot water into the tank .
If you look back at the photo of the PRV , it has an in and an out , the in I have T'd off , right from heater , left to hose reel , at the back of the PRV is the out , this goes to the tank .

P @ F

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2019, 10:12:39 pm »

Sounds almost too good to be true!it'll be interesting to see how long the heater lasts using it day in/day out......and temperature at the brush head....

Yeah , i'm pretty interested in that one too Daz  ;D
To be honest mate , if I have to replace it yearly even I wont be dissapointed , £135 , whats that £10 a month for a brand new heater every year , I bet you couldnt even get a glow plug for that  ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »
I take my hat off to you rich...well done....I'm not naturally a "tinkerer" like you..... :)
price higher/work harder!

a900

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2019, 10:23:30 pm »
The pressure relief valve has been placed after the heater and before the hose reel , when the Univalve is shut the pressure hops to about 50 psi and the PRV opens up sending the hot water into the tank .
If you look back at the photo of the PRV , it has an in and an out , the in I have T'd off , right from heater , left to hose reel , at the back of the PRV is the out , this goes to the tank .

It’s got me thinking about my second reel set up. I could use prv into a small say 25l holding container on the tank with an overflow so when it’s full it gravity feeds back into the main tank and draw off the little tank for the second reel. When I got my mate with me I do all the Faffy stuff. Chatting to customers and slips so would give the tank time to fill up.

Just wonder how the pump would get on with 65c water. And if the holding tank would run out on commercial work or facia and con roof work

a900

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:32 pm »

Got ya so your alternator is doing most of the charging work. Highly recommend Numax batteries. Used them in the past. And it makes a change there HQ is local to me so easy to get them. But I build the Lithium battery now so don’t use lead acid anymore.

Should sell the numax really

P @ F

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 10:52:01 pm »
When I was bench testing my build I was using a Gardiner backpack as the reservoir/pump , I let it go to see what temp I could get the water in it to , after 30 mins I got 20L from 12 up to 63 , I had to give up as I was sticking my arm in to swill the water about for an accurate reading but it started to burn my hand  ;D
But the backpack handled it very well , better than my hand anyway  ;D ;D

Spruce

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:56 am »

Got ya so your alternator is doing most of the charging work. Highly recommend Numax batteries. Used them in the past. And it makes a change there HQ is local to me so easy to get them. But I build the Lithium battery now so don’t use lead acid anymore.

Should sell the numax really

This pricked my ears up. It would be an interesting subject to discuss further, especially lithium, freezing van temps and charging of them A900. The cost of a normal lithium battery is far to much for us to consider seriously atm imho.

Spruce

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2019, 08:55:28 am »
I have to hand it to you

Darran

Cheers Spruce , I still think that the best buy here has been the Numax MF by far  ;D ;D ;D
I still cant believe Im running all this with 85 amp and am still getting home with a battery on float !
I have had the unit apart a few times since fitted 2 weeks ago  and there is no sign of any kind of deposits so far , probably down to the fact that it is running flat out constantly .
Im thinking that the next thing I shall do is to get a piece of the same size tube as the burner tube and swage it so it connects like a normal exhaust , then swap out the 10 mm copper for 8mm , this should give me tighter coilability , I will have the exhuast in the same place but have the water in /out at the end of the tube  , the end of the tube will be flange plated and another flange plate with no hole except for the in and out water pipes , the coil can compression fit to this giving me the ability to slide the whole coil out should it need decoking at any point .

Many years ago we had the agency for Nu-Way oil burners in Africa. We didn't need central heating over there so they were mainly used in industry.  What you have done is turn your heater into an oil burner.
My Bosch counter part in Germany had an oil burner for hot water and central heating as do a lot of Americans. I've never looked at the heat exchangers they use in these oil burners systems but it could be worth a noisy for some ideas although you aren't short of a few yourself. Steve Jones has some competition.  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2019, 09:58:25 am »
First mishap yesterday, fired the heater up and went to put the kettle on,then realised I had not switched the pump on!
When I got to the van it was like a steam room, I had super heated the coil and blown the pipe work 🤪
Still no real damage and have spent the day up rating the bad boy and looking at a way to get the cover on

a900

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2019, 10:04:53 am »
First mishap yesterday, fired the heater up and went to put the kettle on,then realised I had not switched the pump on!
When I got to the van it was like a steam room, I had super heated the coil and blown the pipe work 🤪
Still no real damage and have spent the day up rating the bad boy and looking at a way to get the cover on

I wonder if for safety you could add a thermal cut out. Maybe using an  audrino.

Ive been consindering an audrino for data collection and more importantly. To run a time delay so my heater starts on diesel or kerosene and switches after 30second to a waste mix

P @ F

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2019, 10:14:17 am »
I think the best ways to deal with it are either to wire the pump into the switch on the heater or to put a sign saying PUMP  next to the heater switch , that would probably be better as the first way would stop me using th system as a cold one .

P @ F

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2019, 10:32:10 am »
I have found one downside to having the heater though ,I’m doing more than I used to , not so much because it cleans “Faster/Better” 😆🤣🤣
But because I am more comfortable for longer.
I went to fill my almost empty tank on Wednesday and I only had 100L left in the IBC, so I had to go get me a larger RO !