This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2019, 05:15:45 pm »
Glad the frost stat bit worked for you matey , I dont think I really need to go that far , Im way down in the SW so we dont see the kind of temps that Ooop North sees , couple of quilts do the job , saying that though my heater has a 7 day program timer so i could just use that to come on once during the night !

With regard to spares for me , I looked into getting spare fuel pump and motor and PCB , but at £135 for the whole heater I will just order another one giving me 2 of everything  ;D ;D
How difficult would it be to fabricate a heat exchanger from welded ss to replace the copper pipe?

a900

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 06:12:55 pm »
Glad the frost stat bit worked for you matey , I dont think I really need to go that far , Im way down in the SW so we dont see the kind of temps that Ooop North sees , couple of quilts do the job , saying that though my heater has a 7 day program timer so i could just use that to come on once during the night !

With regard to spares for me , I looked into getting spare fuel pump and motor and PCB , but at £135 for the whole heater I will just order another one giving me 2 of everything  ;D ;D

Can’t argue with that. How are you recirculating the water back to the tank when not using the pole?  What temp are you aiming for at the brush?

Personally getting 65c out the heater is perfect max temp for me. Makes  conservatory roof or facia cleans easier

a900

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 06:16:20 pm »
some of you are wasted as window cleaners.......well done for experimenting.....thats how new innovations are created/found... :)

Nice change from the why are you bothering lot that don’t get it😂

‘Wasted as window cleaners’ raises an interesting question why did we choose window cleaning. Personally it’s the best way I know to earn money legally in the shortest amount of time. That fits around my other life’s priorities. Defo not because I enjoy cleaning windows 😂

P @ F

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:15 pm »

How difficult would it be to fabricate a heat exchanger from welded ss to replace the copper pipe?
[/quote]

If you mean to make it the same as I have but in SS then it could be very costly , I made my own coils with copper as a look on Ebay scared the life out of me !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 07:22:19 pm »

Can’t argue with that. How are you recirculating the water back to the tank when not using the pole?  What temp are you aiming for at the brush?

Personally getting 65c out the heater is perfect max temp for me. Makes  conservatory roof or facia cleans easier

I’m using a 3 bar pressure relief valve from plum base £10 ,
I would like to get 40 at the brush head , that’s enough for me , I worked out today that I was losing 10 degrees with having all the hose out , so if I can get say 55 after heater I will be sorted .
I got there today but only when I was on the last job with only 50 litre left in the tank !
My plan is to change my 350 for two 175 ‘s , that way my recirc time will get there twice as fast , one tank can feed into the other very slowly

a900

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 07:52:27 pm »
What about a small say 25l holding tank that is fed slowly (speed difference would effect water temperature) from the main tank through the heater. Which I turn you draw off for the pump and water outlet to the reel.

You could have a high overflow level  that feeds back into your main tank.

This was my original idea with using the same heater you have used. But I thought I would use a commercial exchanger to take the hot air blow out the heater. Along with the header tank idea

Smudger

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:38 pm »
Fantastic,  that is a brilliant effort.

are you going to list/show all the parts and how to put it together ??

I think thats worth having a crack at making

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 09:15:09 pm »

Darran
If it were as simple as that Smudge I would have kept hush and had them properly fabricated to sell myself !
The trouble is that they are Chinese import and there are a lot of different variations of them , they all seem to be differently configured , different Kw , different suppliers , the list goes on !
I just ordered one and went with what I had to work with , a lot of these orders either dont turn up or are delivered  with bits missing , I did my homework and used a supplier that had delivered 4 to one chap on different occasions that were all present and correct .
Also a lot of tinkering is required , I have the patience , lots dont , and I dont want to turn into that Tw*t that cost me £135 !
I can give a rough guide of what needs to be done to what , but bits to fit and sizes will all differ , thats what makes it so hard .     

a900

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:58 pm »

Darran
If it were as simple as that Smudge I would have kept hush and had them properly fabricated to sell myself !
The trouble is that they are Chinese import and there are a lot of different variations of them , they all seem to be differently configured , different Kw , different suppliers , the list goes on !
I just ordered one and went with what I had to work with , a lot of these orders either dont turn up or are delivered  with bits missing , I did my homework and used a supplier that had delivered 4 to one chap on different occasions that were all present and correct .
Also a lot of tinkering is required , I have the patience , lots dont , and I dont want to turn into that Tw*t that cost me £135 !
I can give a rough guide of what needs to be done to what , but bits to fit and sizes will all differ , thats what makes it so hard .   

My understanding from multiple YouTube vids is they are all the same unit. Either  badged 2kw or 5kw.

Does your exchanger feel hot to the touch? I presume so. I’m sure you could get more heat in the coils by reducing radiant heat loss

P @ F

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 09:38:14 pm »
Mate , I could fry breakfast on that chrome tube I tell ya  ;D
Thats what  I mean when I say lots more is to be had from it !
Its like I have harnessed 100% of the heat at source without the need for seconday circuits , extra pumps , multiple batteries , it really is an open book that you tailor to your own needs !
Which reminds me , before I modify any more , what I should do is get some exhaust heat wrap and strap that chrome tube up so nothing or as close to gets out , you can see where the chrome has discoloured , this is where the magic happens , if heat wrap extends that colour further down the tube then we are on to a winner with this !
Good shout that man !!!! 

Smudger

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2019, 05:08:33 pm »
So if I u derstand it correctly - you have built a tube and bolted it onto the end of the heater where it normally blows out hot air then inside that you have a coil where your water passes through going to your reel

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:07 pm »
So if I u derstand it correctly - you have built a tube and bolted it onto the end of the heater where it normally blows out hot air then inside that you have a coil where your water passes through going to your reel

Darran

Yes pretty much, but first you have to cut this big lump of aluminium off.
If you look at the two pictures you can marry them up , this has to be done as the burner tube is inside , I will link a video in a minute that will give you a greater understanding of what I have done.

P @ F

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »
This is the video that gave me the idea , bare with it as it does give good insight to how it all comes apart and how it works .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5IKRB_NbGg

davids3511

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:27 pm »

Darran

If you look at the two pictures you can marry them up , this has to be done as the burner tube is inside , I will link a video in a minute that will give you a greater understanding of what I have done.

Why did you cut it at that angle, was there a sensor you were trying to save?

davids3511

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2019, 09:32:23 pm »
Its like I have harnessed 100% of the heat at source without the need for seconday circuits , extra pumps , multiple batteries , it really is an open book that you tailor to your own needs !
Which reminds me , before I modify any more , what I should do is get some exhaust heat wrap and strap that chrome tube up so nothing or as close to gets out , you can see where the chrome has discoloured , this is where the magic happens , if heat wrap extends that colour further down the tube then we are on to a winner with this !
Good shout that man !!!!
Is there an existing product similar to what you have but double skinned so you could leave the coiled copper pipe out. None of the heat would be lost to the atmosphere that way. I've no engineering background so have no idea if such a thing exists though.

P @ F

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:11 pm »

Darran

Why did you cut it at that angle, was there a sensor you were trying to save?
No I just didnt want to go too mad with the plasma disc !
When I get my next one I will just cut straight down from the cut in the picture that is in line with the start of the chrome tube , more of the burner tube will still be encased that way , less heat to atmosphere .

a900

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:17 pm »
How is it being sealed? 🤔

P @ F

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:36 pm »
Good shout that man !!!!
Is there an existing product similar to what you have but double skinned so you could leave the coiled copper pipe out. None of the heat would be lost to the atmosphere that way. I've no engineering background so have no idea if such a thing exists though.
Not a clue , I did look at a Transit MK 7 EGR cooler that could be made to fit but I think they are mild steel so would only be of use if used as a secondary ciruit to heat water with the pink additive in and used in the same manner as a Grippa system with a plate exchanger , but that would mean extra pump and controller and also probably more batteries .
Im trying to make it the most cheap , light and efficient way to get hot water , in my eyes I have done cheap , and light already , I just have to get a bit more heat which is only round the corner as I see it !

P @ F

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:53 pm »
How is what being sealed ?

a900

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2019, 08:48:57 am »
How is what being sealed ?

Your burn chamber to your heat exchanger tube. How is that joint being sealed

I can confirm the transit egr is stainless steel but it’s also much smaller than you have got