This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:41 pm »
Your heater doesn’t run like mine or Jonnys Daz my water with hose out is very very hot even on cold ground m8,if I ran my heater like you I’d be glazing windows not cleaning em even on the lowest setting it’s still steaming on the glass

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2019, 10:26:23 pm »
Alex I will see what I can do about the afterburners, I know a man that knows THE man  ;D

And that makes you a gentleman.

I bought the 8kw one for heating the van on winter nights. £110 for a heater or £100 for a new boiler, no brainier really.

Have lost 4 boilers over the years due to freezing.

Alex, wasn't it you who put a photo up quite a few years ago now with three tankless gas heaters on your front bulkhead feeding into a single exhaust vent through the roof? (One each for the operators and a spare?)

If it was I often wondered how it went. I did look for the photo once but couldn't find it.

Hello Spruce, long time no speak, yes that was me, and here are the pics.

I used it a few times when we were doing some commercial projects that needed 3 heaters but it soon became obsolete, but was useful when 1 broke due to the cold weather and the ice cracking the manifold.

I now have two, so had to change the design a little, most of the fumes goes up the flue, but these heaters where never designed to be a perfect exhaust solution, so I still get a bit of water on the inside of the van. I have tried using aluminium tape to tape up the little vents, but it seems to affect the way the heater works.

I upgraded the hose from those pictures to copper pipe as the water comes out too hot for John Guest fittings and would often warp and blow up. Hep20 although being expensive has been a good investment and hasn't leaked once.

The only problem I have with gas, is filling up with LPG, its not a plentiful as diesel so I have to plan ahead.

For me I won't be changing over to diesel as I have spent too much money on gas, with the heaters, fittings and the gas bottles, but I think if I were starting over I would go for the diesel option.

My next project which I have almost finished is a little programmable box, that will enable me to Rinse, auto flush and control a booster pump and UV light all from one button. Ill post the pics and details when I have finished. But it will remove the waiting around and plugging things if you use a van filling system, and will prolong the use of resin as it will stop the first few litres of pure water from going through the resin bottles.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2019, 10:31:15 pm »
Alex , how are you getting on with your heater, any problems?

Thanks mate, looking forward to hearing back from your mate.

Eventually, they run without issue, they start first thing in the morning and run all day every day. I find the 8l one provides the best power output.

I have now added drainage taps before the boiler to let air in, after the boiler to let the water out, and just before the hose to get as much water out if its going to be a cold night.

Also designing something with solenoids to do it automatically so when the temp drops below 2deg it will automatically open the solenoids and the water can drain out. That combined with the heater should save me from problems

But its taken me a few years to get to this stage, I think I have bought about 10 over the years, dread to think about how much I have spent.

From the first L5 to the ones I have now, much be about 8-10 in total?

dazmond

« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2019, 11:23:59 pm »
Your heater doesn’t run like mine or Jonnys Daz my water with hose out is very very hot even on cold ground m8,if I ran my heater like you I’d be glazing windows not cleaning em even on the lowest setting it’s still steaming on the glass

well theres something wrong there mate...it shouldnt be getting that hot...the last thing you want to be doing is cracking panes in the cold weather...theres hot and theres TOO HOT!i think your mixer valve needs looking at......
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2019, 11:25:14 pm »
or yours Daz  ??? :-\

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2019, 11:26:56 pm »
Don’t forget that what I have built over the last 12 months has been done on a shoe string  and I am well proud of what I have achieved with so little.
Would I have punted out the early models to other window cleaners ?
Definitely NOT as they were not ready .
Would I sell the latest one , YES  ;D

in that case just make sure you write SOLD AS SEEN on their receipt mate to cover your arse!(just in case) ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2019, 11:29:10 pm »
or yours Daz  ??? :-\

Darran

mines working like it should...oliver told me what temperature to expect at brush end at various ambient air temperatures with hose out and he s bang on.......

Smudger

« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2019, 11:45:29 pm »
but I'd rather have nigels and johnny's who get hotter water and cn turn it down to running at max all the time ...   just saying

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
but I'd rather have nigels and johnny's who get hotter water and cn turn it down to running at max all the time ...   just saying

Darran

^^^^^^^^^

This is right Daz.

In the winter it’s still Good to have the option of piping hot water for facia cleans, conservatories etc.

It sounds like You don’t have That option.
I reckon your mixer valve is set on the low side.
If it works for you then that’s all that matters though.

Remember this is a 2MAN system. The 9kw is capable of giving two users very hot water.

If your using it as a one man system and the max your getting is 40 degrees output, then I’d definitely say your valve is set on the low side.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #349 on: November 20, 2019, 08:06:30 am »
coiled up hose all year round....60-65c at brush head

hose out on a hot day.....60-65c at brush head

hose out on a very cold day(freezing ground)30-40c.......

dont forget there can be as much as a 30c heat loss with 100m off your reel in winter

jonny mines a 1 man system not a 2 man.......i dont have a spare pump sending water back to the tank all day like you...thats why your getting very,very high temperatures at brush head even in winter with hose out.....IMO your asking for trouble(thermal shock)if you have your water too hot at this time of year....

NWH

« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2019, 08:58:52 am »
Forget all this hose out nonsense Daz regardless m8 all out all in my water is piping,I don’t mind I love it I just turn it down it’s fine then.
I’m not saying anything to provoke an argument but it sounds to me that your factory set is lower then mine and jonnys,I told Oliver I wanted nine as hot as possible.
I couldn’t possibly use mine on the hottest setting at the mo I cracked a pane in the middle of summer,like smudger said it’s great to have the option for facia cleans etc it melts the most stubborn stuff off with ease,40 degree sounds like 5kw territory

P @ F

« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2019, 09:12:23 am »
That’s pretty much right saying 40 is 5Kw territory, on demand from my last model with start temp of 10/15 that’s what I was getting before the recirculating took effect.
Will be doing tests today as most of the hose will be out on the deck , I just hope that it beats the last model else I have gone backwards  ;D

Daz , are you sure you haven’t gotten a 5 instead of a 9 by mistake  :D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

NWH

« Reply #352 on: November 20, 2019, 10:17:46 am »
I put water in to a bucket this morning for a few doors we do trad,literally couldn’t put your hand in it.

P @ F

« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2019, 11:14:40 am »
Right now I am getting  55 out of the heater , once I am done at the back of this house with about 50m out I will take brush temp , that’s the important figure after all !

P @ F

« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2019, 11:41:05 am »
Just had it drop to 38 at brush head , so a loss of 17 over 50 m

nathankaye

« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2019, 12:08:16 pm »

Whats it like with the flow turned higher?

When im using the immersion, i found the higher the flow the more the temp was similar at the brush end.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2019, 12:24:05 pm »
coiled up hose all year round....60-65c at brush head

hose out on a hot day.....60-65c at brush head

hose out on a very cold day(freezing ground)30-40c.......

dont forget there can be as much as a 30c heat loss with 100m off your reel in winter

jonny mines a 1 man system not a 2 man.......i dont have a spare pump sending water back to the tank all day like you...thats why your getting very,very high temperatures at brush head even in winter with hose out.....IMO your asking for trouble(thermal shock)if you have your water too hot at this time of year....

Your missing the point Daz....... you have a 9kw heater. That’s a 2 man heater. It’s capable of giving two reels VERY hot water.

So what would happen if you ran a second pump
And reel like the 9kw is designed for? That 40 degree output would probably half, and both reels would be luke warm at best.

That’s what I mean by saying yours is running colder than standard.

I can adjust mine to warm at the brush head, about 35 degree, all the way up to 60 plus at the brush head even when it’s ice cold outside and first thing in a morning.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

NWH

« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2019, 01:34:54 pm »
His water should be a lot hotter than 40 at the brush that’s the sort of reading I was getting with the 5kw when working flat out,when I returned water to tank with that other heater and then started working again it would produce similar temperatures to the 9kw does when on a minimum setting.

NWH

« Reply #358 on: November 20, 2019, 01:36:22 pm »
Working with 2 reels shouldn’t make any difference really you are working off the other side of the cabinet and the water is still taking the same path through heat exchangers etc.

dazmond

« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2019, 03:30:03 pm »

thats normal richy.........it can be as much as a 30c drop with 100m out on a very cold morning....