This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

a900

Re: DIY diesel heater.....
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2019, 01:59:33 pm »

Current set up

P @ F

« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:40 pm »
Here’s mine , missing a big bit of it though , back in the workshop  getting a further upgrade !

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

a900

« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2019, 07:50:27 am »
Here’s mine , missing a big bit of it though , back in the workshop  getting a further upgrade !

What’s your modification?

There is a YouTube called ‘Daved mcluckie’. His next vid is going to be what your doing. His last vid was a very  rudimentary  version of what I did with mine.

https://youtu.be/euU71FUOpbU

P @ F

« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2019, 09:16:08 am »
Just watched that , Transit EGR I believe !
Mod is pulling exchanger apart to get a coil inside , original only went from 15 to 35 !
But it kept the exhaust temp right down which is good !

a900

« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2019, 11:26:38 am »
Recon you will get the most heat out by using the outer water jacket as a preheater for your coils

P @ F

« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2019, 03:47:25 pm »
That’s the plan

P @ F

« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2019, 03:54:18 pm »
I’m having battery trouble a the moment though  :'(
Dead as a door nail  , pump and heater running ok but the van was not having it !
Don’t know whether to get a 105 numax and SCR it or just get the battery and charge it everyday

Den68

« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2019, 08:22:46 pm »
Personally I didn’t put a vsr on my current van as I just didn’t do enough miles to make a notable difference, just connect my smart charger each night.

P @ F

« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2019, 09:04:37 pm »
That has crossed my mind too , although I have 10 mile each way before and after I don’t think it’s enough , I get home with a fully charged on float battery every day according to my solar setup app , butt once settled I reckon the bat voltage slumps , it’s almost like the alternator is sensing the charge that the solar is providing via MPPT charging and the two are conflicting thinking that the bat is charged when it’s not
After battery failure today I still got home with the solar app saying I was full and floating , I turned the solar supply off and gave it some hours to settle , I then got the mains charger on it and it has not long registered as charged , so Houston we have a problem so to speak !

a900

« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2019, 09:43:41 am »
Always toyed with the idea of a SCR but ended up building my own lithium battery pack instead.

How the heater modifications coming on?

P @ F

« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2019, 10:17:06 am »
Waiting on bits as usual  !
Have added another V band at the other end of the tube exchanger now to make the whole thing fully takeapartable  ;D
But more so I can install a copper coil like previous models.
My 8mm stainless pipe arrived yesterday so I’m only waiting on a 90 degree barb that sends the water from the hot end of the tube exchanger back to the start of the internal coil.
Looks like it’s coming from China though  >:(
I will go with a straight out barb for now though as this first one will be mine anyway.
I could well have it fitted ready for testing by next weekend

davids3511

« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2019, 10:04:27 pm »
theres nothing on the hot wfp market apart from a professionally fitted diesel heater if you want hot water on tap all day long.....

1.gas heaters are not reliable and can be dangerous....(not worth the risk)

2.immersion heaters are good for frost protection but not viable for proper hot water on tap all day long(luke warm at best)....

3.filling up from a hot water tap at home is not viable option either....(same as an immersion)....and can severely deplete resin prematurely running hot water through your vessels...

4.DIY diesel heaters are only for DIY competent guys(im not!)and even then theres usually a lot of faffing about and reliability/safety has not been proved....

Daz, please, please just please don't make statements you know nothing about - I've got a tank unto 65 degrees  - hardly 'luke warm'

Darran
This bit is crap too, I run mine through a DI on the van and hot makes no difference.

Spruce

« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2019, 08:50:52 am »
theres nothing on the hot wfp market apart from a professionally fitted diesel heater if you want hot water on tap all day long.....

2.immersion heaters are good for frost protection but not viable for proper hot water on tap all day long(luke warm at best)....

3.filling up from a hot water tap at home is not viable option either....(same as an immersion)....and can severely deplete resin prematurely running hot water through your vessels...

4.DIY diesel heaters are only for DIY competent guys(im not!)and even then theres usually a lot of faffing about and reliability/safety has not been proved....

Daz, please, please just please don't make statements you know nothing about - I've got a tank unto 65 degrees  - hardly 'luke warm'

Darran
This bit is crap too, I run mine through a DI on the van and hot makes no difference.

Its an interesting assumption. Heated water shows a higher tds than the same cold water does.  When that heated water cools back down the tds goes back to its original figure. So you can understand why someone would automatically conclude that you will use more resin processing hot water.

But its still the same water. Heating it hasn't changed the tds.

Chopsie put up a link on this site a couple of years ago to a tds meter that compensates for water temps.
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=210561.0

You also reported on that link it hasn't effected your resin usage. You mentioned this some 2 years ago and as your conclusion is still the same with added experience, we must deduce that hot water doesn't effect the resin beads at the temps windies use.

I've just looked this up. It was what Doug Atkinson posted many years ago with regard to Tulsion  MB115 resin, but he didn't say anything about the temperatures.

"Tulsion MB-115 is  a  mixture  of  strongly  acidic  cation  exchange  resin Tulsion T-46in  Hydrogen  form  and strongly basic type I anion exchanger resin Tulsion A-33in Hydroxide form in 1:1.5 volume ratio quantities."

Tulsion T resin remains stable up to a maximum temperature of 120 degrees C.
Tulsion A resin remains stable up to a maximum temperature of 80 degrees C.

So hot water through Tulsion MB115 resin needs to be lower than 80 degrees C.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

a900

« Reply #293 on: October 22, 2019, 07:34:04 pm »
https://youtu.be/yyF2I6iZxd4

P@f notice he said as I found. You couldn’t make a heat exchanger cheaper than you could buy a used EGR cooler.

Welding straight to the steel burn chamber was a good point made 2

NWH

« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2019, 08:51:46 pm »
Am I missing something you can buy the whole webasto kit to do this for 1000

P @ F

« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2019, 09:08:15 pm »
Am I missing something you can buy the whole webasto kit to do this for 1000

Yeah but he just did it for £139 !
Primitive like my first attempt but he did it !

P @ F

« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2019, 09:25:24 pm »
Don’t worry, the last piece arrived today .
It’s all go now  , £2.50 a day in diesel and only 4 amps per hour worked for heater and pump combined  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:59 pm »

Darran

thanks for clarifying this......it might help a few cold water guys out who are DI only this winter..... :)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #298 on: October 22, 2019, 11:08:24 pm »
God help us  us when vans become electric in the future

we ll all be dead by then so i wouldnt worry about it..... ;D
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2019, 11:40:44 pm »
Be handy for tapping off for heaters and pumps though eh ?