Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

benny d

New carpet with spillage
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:00:51 pm »
Hi all.
What do you say when someone syas they have just had a new carpet, lets say only a few weeks ago, and there is now a spillage on it.
I have had two calls today saying this, but I am always a bit wary about cleaning the spillage areas because it might slightly change the look to the rest of the carpet once it has dried out.  I could say I will lightly clean the rest of the room to keep everything looking the same, but I get the feeling that I am trying to make more of a meal of it than needed.

Im concerned that if i clean the stained area, it might look slightly different when dried, and then the customer calls and says that I have ruined the new carpet.
Almost not worth getting involved , as i am busy enough with normal work?
What do you do?
Thanks
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Mike Halliday

Re: New carpet with spillage
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:32:06 pm »
This is an interesting problem, but it is not your problem it’s the customers. They have a choice, live with the spill or accept that removing the problem might creating a further smaller,  less noticeable problem.

As long as what you do leaves the carpet in a better condition then you have done your job....
But If you went in with a Stanley knife and cut out a square of carpet then you have left it worse so it then becomes your problem
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:45:43 pm »
If it’s a new carpet then the area surrounding the stain won’t be dirty, so where’s the problem?

Putting my cynical head on.... be careful when being called out to a stain, rather than to clean a stained carpet.
Sometimes, rarely, thankfully, the client can be looking for someone to blame, even though they caused the stain, but if it doesn’t come out, they could say that you have made it worse and look to you to replace it for them. Trust me, it happens

dek

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 05:36:04 pm »
oooh Simon what sort of person would do that !!!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »
oooh Simon what sort of person would do that !!!
In my nearly 44 years in this business I have come across just about every kind of person and situation that you can imagine. That just leaves the ones you can’t imagine. And if you can’t imagine the above.....you might be surprised!🤔

Robin Ray

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:58 am »
If you warn the customer that treating the stain may leave an area of cleaner carpet, then ask them how they feel about it, the ball is totally in their court. Give them all the options, tell them the honest truth and then let them decide. I also give them an idea of how well i feel the satin will come out in percentage terms, always trying to under promise then over deliver. They are normally more happy when the stain comes up better than they imagined. If you are busy another thing you can do is raise your minimum charge to a level where going somewhere for only an hour is more than worthwhile.

dek

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:50:58 pm »
Hi Simon I think you missed the irony in my comment. Hope you are well and dont forget us if you have another emergency cruise ship in Southampton.

benny d

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
Thanks for the info.
I havnt called back as i dont want to even have a chance of them having a go at me even if i explaned all the possibilities.
Just give me dirty, soiled, filthy carpets etc, so much easier than putting your neck on the line if I dont really have to.
Thanks
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

John Kelly

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:45 am »
This happens a lot, cleaner attempts stain removal and customers says its worse and wants carpet replaced. I get phone calls about this all the time.  How to deal with it? Well best way is before you actually do anything otherwise you can have a battle on your hands. Photograph before doing anything and after. Have terms and conditions on a pre-survey form pointing out that staining may have already damaged/caused colour loss from the carpet and removal attempt could alter the appearance. Get customer to sign it.