Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

How Facebook is killing carpet cleaning
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:57 pm »
Just look at these screenshots....... 3 rooms for £50......seen 138,000 times!!! No wonder people think that’s what it costs

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Gwilliam

Re: How Facebook is killing carpet cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:35:05 am »
A bloke near me has a bazillion reviews on his FB page doesn’t have a web site.. I met a house keeper who knows him and she was asking me how much I charge, she said he charges a lot less than me. 

I have a much easier life and earn a lot more while ‘’he is killing him self’’ carpet cleaning.

I have a FB page and don’t take many of the enquiries seriously as they don’t respond when you give them a price. ‘’How much wud u charge’’ is not uncommon  ;D   

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:35:33 am »
mike

reminds me of the old day when businesses would tell prospects to find them the yellow pages right alongside all the completion. Have you ever noticed that when you get a prospect that has got your number from a place that has competitors that they are way more price sensitive to ones where you get from places where its just you.

Mike Gwilliam, take back the power dont respond by text.

guys lets not forget that you can buy bots for this stuff and most is fake

Respects

Ian

*Hector*

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:51:03 am »
Ian.... suggesting that Mike use leaflets is like trying to teach granny to suck eggs.....

;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:12:44 am »
i know.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:35:52 am »
I target people who would never dream of getting a company off Facebook (some of them are not even computer savvy) but it’s getting harder, as the older gerantion die they will be replaced by the Facebook generation  who  seam to ask “whose the cheapest.....?” Or even worse say how much they are willing to pay ..... Eg:  I’ve got £20. need my living room cleaned... any suggestions”

Dark times ahead

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:00 am »
The numbers will not surprort that price point.  The cost of a customer is much higher. That is why I think that advert is fake

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:56:08 am »
Btw it's bait and switch. The upsell might happen over the phone or when they arrive or worst after the clean. " Sorry madam our minimum charge is £50"

We are too trusting. do you think the price you see on Amazon for an item is the same as me? Also what they show you is not what's available. Because that would mean low price. They maintain the price economy.

Here is a example of Facebook controling reach. So I was posting every day. One day I decided to check if any chat about carpet cleaning. Some girl in my town moaning about not being able to get a carpet cleaner.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 07:45:39 am »
The numbers will not surprort that price point.  The cost of a customer is much higher. That is why I think that advert is fake

This advert is genuine,  I see him replying to questions and generally interacting with posters and its not a paid advert its on a local sales page so cost him nothing

neil 47

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »
The printing press killed off scribes .
The steam engine killed off horses

You just need to adapt
IICRC

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »
Mike

When I bought out woodman he was spending loads on AdWords but he still went out business.

That type of reach. He must be running same post over and over. If thats right then it worth a try it's something I had not thought about doing. But when prospects see all that interaction it must give them trust. "If all these other people are using him he must be safe" people like safty in numbers wherever they find them.

So do you think he has built out from a core group of friends band family? And getting customer to like or follow his page? 

That would work.

Facebook wants interaction between users.

Have you seen Twitter with all these people begging rug doctor for a free clean? It looks like a new promotion. Nice idea. Not sure how it works as it looks like a lottery type draw. Though those where not allowed.

Might try that Facebook thing out. Was going to start offering stuff to make sure people follow thought, when they say they will and don't. Give them something and they feel they must do it because of that exchange.

I also heard that if you can get people talking on messenger that you can really pressure them. Things are changing so fast and they are shutting down lots of stuff because of all that fake stuff

Anyway great stuff well done

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 05:56:57 am »
Mike

its fake.

why with that much interaction would you clean ovens and do other services. you would be so busy. plus its a one off by the looks. sure he getting interactions but not that much.

you can buy all that likes and follows. twitter just came down on this stuff and some of the big names where at it. 

where the numbers are on the post click on them and you can see the 4.6 shares looks like some kind of link exchange group going on. (its a facebook marketplace group)  https://www.facebook.com/groups/136069403154342/about/

Facebook has just started testing in USA a service paid version of marketplace. so you can take from that that posting services in marketplace is no allowed.

the thing is its not cleaver as if I did it i would post a carpet cleaner for sale and that would identify local people interested in carpet cleaning. then get their details and market to them offline  ;D

Adam Bateup

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
There is a guy near me who offers a 2 bed house carpet clean for £80.00 !!!! .

That being said I get about 25% of my work though Facebook .
You do get lots of the people wanting everything for nothing but it’s all about education , I explain my process and why I charge what I charge and most people understand.
Plus more and more of the older generations are getting on social media and on all the gossip pages people ask questions eg recommendations for a local carpet cleaner . That’s where we get a good amount of business and the more you do on Facebook the more recommendations you get .
Plus it’s FREE .......

neil 47

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 09:11:32 am »
£80 that’s expensive 😂
IICRC

Deep Cleaning Solutions

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
You would be surprised at how many on FB charge these rates or a lot less. They are springing up everywhere. You would also be surprised at how much work there is on FB at those prices too. I know because I've tested many different prices with ads when I had 4 operators on my books and I booked in over 150 jobs in 3 days once with a video ad I tested out. Unfortunately the numbers didn't quite add up but if I was a one man band, especially if I was starting out it would of been well worth it to say the least!

The carpet cleaners on FB still make £200 per day, so that is 1k for 5 days work, which is miles more than they would make in a factory. It will be hard work but they will have no advertising costs as they tend to advertise on FB groups and with word of mouth. I know one lad on there who only does Asian homes for £10per room  :o but he absolutely loves it, gets shed loads of work and is making far, far more than his previous job without a manager breathing down his neck! They must work bloody hard though but they are happy so leave them to it I say.

I have recently given up carpet cleaning to start a lead generation/website marketing company and I now pass my carpet/upholstery cleaning jobs for a commission onto 3 local carpet cleaners. I found the 3 operators on FB and they are amazed at the prices of the jobs I send them and keep asking how I do it  ::)roll

To be honest I would think twice about starting up with carpet cleaning now. No matter what is said on here, the prices will keep coming down and the quality of customer also. Social media will be where customers find tradesman in future. In fact I would say at least half of carpet cleaning jobs in the UK are done through FB already.
David.
Owner of Deep Cleaning Solutions.
Expert in Web Design & SEO
www.rocketwebsitedesigners.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 06:11:03 pm »
Deep clean I always enjoy your posts you seem to have got your finger on the pulse when it comes to social media but my thoughts (after looking on your website) that your prices are very affordable these guys who sub work from you must be really cheap? 

There a guy on fb Enviro clean I think they’re called and he really is savvy with his fb marketing it’s very impressive.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 06:44:26 pm »
To contradict myself I do belief Facebook will kill carpet cleaning for the majority of carpet cleaner but there will always  be a market for the higher priced companies.

We have 2 prestige cars in our home we have just got a valeting company off Facebook,  we saw lots of  £35-£45 a car companies but ended up using a company that cost £180  for an exterior machine polish valet. We paid more than double for what we considered a premium  service.

People on Facebook ( and in general ) will pay higher prices but they need to be given a reason to spend the higher amount  but unfortunately companies are being lazy with their marketing and using the simplest technique to gain customers which is low price.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 07:04:40 pm »
Because fb is ‘in your face’ we think that customers will go for the buy it now price but I do get calls from customers not wanting a in their words ‘not one of those cleans’ and are looking for what they perceive to be a better service (choosing my words carefully)

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:39 pm »
I can’t be bothered to start a poll (partly because I don’t know how to having never done one)  but

Who has upped their prices this year, or reduced them or stayed the same?

I’m guessing the answer in your head will be much to do with how your bookings have been so far this year.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Stoots

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 10:24:37 pm »
I stopped carpet cleaning because of these kind of prices.

Just wasnt worth it.

In order to compete at that price point you need to turn up an extract and go, no messing hoovering or pre spraying etc, no testing fibres or agitating. Just the strongest solution you can in the tank, blast over it, looks clean, cash in back pocket and off to the next.

best to use a very small lightweight portable to blast through jobs,