Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: For those that dont employ
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 06:39:20 pm »
I have been cleaning windows off and on for more than 40 years. The only thing I have learned about pricing in that time is that its a total mystery.
The more you do it the less you understand, as long as you are happy with what you get that's good enough.

I quoted a house at £25 a couple of weeks ago. She told me after she had accepted  that another window cleaner had quoted £65. Amazed but what do I know?

i clean a house that i charge £65 for.the last window cleaner charged £25!in fact when i last seen him i laughed and told him how much i was charging! ;D he couldnt believe it!and he was gutted when she got rid of him......the problem was he was trad and didnt do a very good job apparently.....hes now got a wfp trolley system and fibreglass pole but she would never have him back in a million years! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:16 pm »
At times in the winter you can't just plough on regardless when you live and work in the north.

Quite true

I just think some of us live in two different worlds on here and its easy to forget that.
Just because one person has no problem sticking out a few thousand leaflets and raking in £20 15 min jobs doesnt mean someone somewhere else in the country isnt doing exactly the same thing with much poorer results. Sometimes its not lack of mentality, attitude or application its simply we have totally different markets.

You cant compare working in the leafy suburbs of surrey to the ex mining towns of the north, its the same country but worlds apart.

i agree as well adam......i still cant bring myself to believe that someone can turnover 90k a year cleaning windows on their own......do you know anyone?.....no neither do i! ;D......in fact most window cleaners i know are just about scratching a living together...... :(
Look to yourselves.

Most window cleaners here are just about scratching a living! I have two local windies that repeatedly tell me that leaflets don't work. Shrek was saying the other day that his average job is £22 and he's in the north. Adam was saying he's had 150 non payers? That tells me he's targeting the bottom of the market.

Re: the snow. Put it in the contract that days lost through extreme conditions get made up with Saturday work. We lost two days in the snow as I deemed the roads unsafe.

Stop modded whining and man up!

With the greatest of respect youve no idea what you are talking about.

So that's where I'm going wrong, I'm targeting the bottom of the market...

You've just made my point you are looking at it from your perspective based on your experience in your area.

Shrek doesn't live near me either...

Unless you are from the area I am you have no business telling me what can and can't be done.

I am targeting the bottom of the market? I work in the best areas of my city, please show me where the top end is because I don't see no millionaire's round here... houses round here start from 60k for a terraced, this isn't Cheshire mate it's west Yorkshire.

You are out of touch with reality for a lot of cleaners and you are out of touch with what life is like in other parts of the country.
So you're saying Northerners are by nature criminal and don't pay bills?

I’ve read and re-read his post multiple times and I’ve no idea how you came to this conclusion Steve  ::)roll
Because he says that non payers on that scale is something that is somehow peculiar to the north (or his part of it). In 8 years I seriously doubt I've had 10 non payers, yet he's had 150 or so in a few months. So it's either a northern thing or his targeting shyte houses and areas.

People that say they want to achieve this that and the other generally fail either because they aren't bright enough or aren't focussed. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Gomo gone from employing to not employing to employing again. Then saying it doesn't work. Hasn't he now set up a marketing initiative for other window cleaners? Yet he can't gain decent work for himself. Does this indicate single mindedness to you? He's defeated before he even starts. There's plenty around here like that too.

There's nothing genius about employing, gaining work or cleaning windows. In fact there's nothing genius about any business in the domestic service area, but you do need commitment and focus to build a solid one man business or a multi van business. Whining gets you nowhere.

Before launching back Adam, consider the wisdom in the above.

Absolutely, you need a thick skin and determination to push through.

You are right I am easily beaten. I don't take set backs well. I am very indecisive and change my mind daily on whether to employ or stay solo, probably because I don't really know what I want. Some days I'm positive other days I'm negative, that's just how i am.

I do have decent work though, for the area I work I have decently priced work..

The reason I had so many non payers is because I had most of my work canvassed. 

I wasn't whining though, i was just pointing out facts that different areas have different markets, it was initially about paying employees and you saying pay a good wage...and that it would be easier to pay an employee a good wage in an area where they can turnover 90k as apposed to an area where prices are lower and less profit margins.

Stoots

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 08:08:11 pm »
I have a friend that lives just outside Wakefield, (Thorpe), in a 3 story townhouse, a type of house that I clean many of. Usually take no longer than 20 minutes. He pays £22 monthly and is very happy with that price.

I live and work in Cheshire and I don’t get £22 for these type of houses.

Just saying.

Of course you can get these type of prices, with enough years of effort I'm sure you could build a round of these

The issue comes when you want to scale it up to a multi van operation. Would take you decades simply because that price is so far over the average prices your conversion rate on quotes is going to be ridiculously low.

I have prices form £8-30 . Some are houses just like this one however it's the exception to the rule.

james peters

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
gomo ...don't realy post much ...I do get the pricing thing … I live in south wales … one of the poorest parts of the uk ,,, tho I don't have much custies under £12..  my average monthly is about £12 , and my average bi monthly £20
my biggest concern is the amount of non payers and late payers …
this for me is your biggest problem

Stoots

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 09:09:12 am »
gomo ...don't realy post much ...I do get the pricing thing … I live in south wales … one of the poorest parts of the uk ,,, tho I don't have much custies under £12..  my average monthly is about £12 , and my average bi monthly £20
my biggest concern is the amount of non payers and late payers …
this for me is your biggest problem

Yeh . Not really a problem though, I know why it happened. Part and parcel of canvassing work. A lot of my non payers probably didn't want it doing and come after the first/2nd cleans..It doesn't happen with established work, only new customers..

Never mind, less tax to pay, I think my total non payers is about a grand or so in 3 years it's not the end of the world and I've probably made up for it in other ways.