This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lal

Gutter Clear with Birds Nest
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »

Hi everyone, as title says, i had an enquiry today about clearing gutters, a big 5 bed detached house, which i said
  i would have a look at tomorrow to quote, but then he adds, there is a birds nest he wants removing, he said the noise
  of the birds is driving him nuts, i asked how long the nest has been there, he said a couple of days, so i don't know the
  situation if there's eggs up there or chicks, what is the protocol for this sort of thing, what would you Guys & Girls do.

Lal

Shrek

Re: Gutter Clear with Birds Nest
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:10:13 pm »
I personally wouldn’t take the job on , I’d have to get my ladders out and then figure out what to do with the eggs (if there was any) and I just can’t be bothered with all that lol

alank

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »
Leave it. You can't disturb a birds nest they're protected.

John Mart

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:53:58 pm »
Tell him to stuff the job where the sun don’t shine.

deeege

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:33:20 am »
Upto a £5k fine for destroying birds nest during the nesting season. Charge him £5500+ for the job or leave it until winter.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

lal

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
Upto a £5k fine for destroying birds nest during the nesting season. Charge him £5500+ for the job or leave it until winter.

:o :o Hey deeege, i think thats enough to make a decision, thanks for your input.

Best regards
   Lal

deeege

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:36 am »
It’s actually an unlimited fine and upto six months imprisonment for knowingly destroying a nest whilst in use. I’ve personally heard of someone being fined £5k myself though. 

Tree surgeons have to be very careful whilst felling trees during the summer. Alls it would take us one neighbour being a twitcher and you could be in serious trouble.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/wildlife-and-the-law/wildlife-and-countryside-act/
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »
No touching until September 1st

Even then I won’t remove housemartins nests - if they have fallen off naturally then I’ll clean the s/f/g but otherwise I will leave approximately a foot clearance

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »

Hi everyone, as title says, i had an enquiry today about clearing gutters, a big 5 bed detached house, which i said
  i would have a look at tomorrow to quote, but then he adds, there is a birds nest he wants removing, he said the noise
  of the birds is driving him nuts, i asked how long the nest has been there, he said a couple of days, so i don't know the
  situation if there's eggs up there or chicks, what is the protocol for this sort of thing, what would you Guys & Girls do.

Lal

cmon Larry you ve been in this business long enough to know a PITA job when you see one! ::)roll

I personally dont offer gutter clearing as a service anyway but removing a birds nest with little chicks in?NO WAY! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 06:54:56 pm »
I wouldn't do it even if it were legal.

Offer him a quote to demolish his house.  When he queries it ask him how he thinks the birds would feel.
I wish you would post the address because I would tell the authorities to keep an eye out for it in case he asks someone else.

lal

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:17:39 pm »

Lal

cmon Larry you ve been in this business long enough to know a PITA job when you see one! ::)roll

I personally dont offer gutter clearing as a service anyway but removing a birds nest with little chicks in?NO WAY! ;D

Hi dazmond, you are perfectly right, ive only been in this business six and a half years and should know better, but the
guy put me on the spot, last minute mentioning the nest, i went to see him this morning, explained that i wouldn't interfere
with any nests, as there are strict Laws protecting them, he was American and not to Happy, he also had attitude towards
me, i told him there are wildlife management services,( which i had googled earlier) which can come and legally remove them safely, he said he would look into it, he asked me for a quote for Gutter clearing plus window cleaning while i was there,
i went in with a high price, hoping to put him off, hopefully i won't hear from him again.