Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

GordonUK

Hi there,

I am thinking about starting a window cleaning business and I know that there are health and safety regulations which mean that you can only go so high on a ladder to clean windows and I know that a lot of window cleaning companies are using the Reach and Wash system/Pole fed water system to clean windows these days and I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of using the Reach and Wash system and how they have found it? The advantages and the disadvantages?

I have heard from people in the cleaning industry that the reach and wash system involves some set up time and you have to fill up the tank during the day at some point and I thinking that this might limit the amount of clients you could visit each day.

Does anyone also know of any alternatives to the Reach and Wash system that would allow me to clean the top windows without a ladder?

I am looking for a professional window cleaning system which will allow me to do a great job and do as many clients as possible during each day.

Many thanks.

Danny001

Re: Any professional alternatives to the Reach and Wash system?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:47 pm »
First and foremost, you  need to find out what TDS reading is coming from your water supply. Then you know which system you need to purify your water.  Anything above 50ppm and I'd recommend a RO system, below, just a twin DI set up will be fine.
 Without using ladders, WFP is the only way, unless you want to set up scaffolding up at every job!!!
No matter if you need DI only or RO system (again depending on TDS reading), a 500L tank in your van will/should last you all day at the correct pressure settings, once you are upto speed.

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:34:57 pm »
Just do traditional window cleaning up ladders , then you can clean from dawn til dusk without running out of anything

GordonUK

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:53 pm »
First and foremost, you  need to find out what TDS reading is coming from your water supply. Then you know which system you need to purify your water.  Anything above 50ppm and I'd recommend a RO system, below, just a twin DI set up will be fine.
 Without using ladders, WFP is the only way, unless you want to set up scaffolding up at every job!!!
No matter if you need DI only or RO system (again depending on TDS reading), a 500L tank in your van will/should last you all day at the correct pressure settings, once you are upto speed.

Hi Danny,

We only plan on doing  standard two storey residential houses (ground floor and first floor) will we still need the Reach & Wash (Water Fed Poles system) to do these types of properties? Or are you legally allowed to use ladders if you are just doing residential properties like this?

And if we were to choose the Water Fed Pole (WFP) systems how many normal residential properties could you do per day say working 8 hours per day? I know there will be driving involved but how long would it take to finish a standard property (ground floor windows + first floor windows - back and front of the property) using the Water Fed Pole/Reach and Wash type systems?

Many thanks.

GordonUK

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:05:43 pm »
Just do traditional window cleaning up ladders , then you can clean from dawn til dusk without running out of anything

Hi Shrek,

We want to do mostly standard residential houses (ground floor windows back and front and first floor windows back and front of the property) and for these types of properties when you have to clean the first floor windows are you legally are allowed to use ladders? As you hear so many health & safety stories about not being allowed to use ladders above a certain height?

And using the ladder system (the traditional method) how long would it take to do one property? And how many properties could you expect to do in one day say working eight hours per day?

Many thanks

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:25 am »
Do you know how to clean windows? It takes as long as it takes , you could be slow or fast , everyone’s different . If you haven’t got even 1 customer yet , it’ll take years & years to get 8 hours a day work.

In a day , I would probably be able to do 1 house traditional and then go home. I would not want to be climbing ladders for 8 hours a day . So the answer to your question is 1 house a day

Danny001

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:22 pm »

Hi Danny,

We only plan on doing  standard two storey residential houses (ground floor and first floor) will we still need the Reach & Wash (Water Fed Poles system) to do these types of properties? Or are you legally allowed to use ladders if you are just doing residential properties like this?

And if we were to choose the Water Fed Pole (WFP) systems how many normal residential properties could you do per day say working 8 hours per day? I know there will be driving involved but how long would it take to finish a standard property (ground floor windows + first floor windows - back and front of the property) using the Water Fed Pole/Reach and Wash type systems?

Many thanks.

WFP would be perfect for the properties you are aiming for. I dont think there are any legal matters at the moment using ladders, but I guarantee using WFP will be a lot faster and more profitable than scaling ladders all day. Id advise going to a window cleaning show if youve never done it before and practice on family and friends houses before going 'professional'. 

As regards to how many houses per hour/day, thats hard to say. Doing a good job on a standard 3 bed semi would take one man around 15 mins. But there are many 'splash and dash' types out there that would do that in 5 mins. So depends really on the type of service you offer. As said though, youd need to practice first if new to it, as everything will feel foreign and slow to start, and youll get spotting all over the windows until you know how to do it properly...... again go to a window cleaning event and ask as many questions and use as much gear as possible.

Also, id advise to buy already established rounds for 2 very important reasons. 1. If you canvass, ill guarantee youll end up peeing off at least one other windy. 2. Established customers are a million times better and reliable than the messers youll encounter canvassing.

Good look.