Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colin bird

Re: transit custom dpf
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 07:08:00 am »
Many thanks for all your replies gents

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 07:33:33 am »
My 5 year custom has nearly 90K on the clock. There’s the start of a slightly strange sound coming from under the bonnet  to the drivers side. It sounds like a loose cover of some sort. Apart from that, nuffink, touch wood....

you do a lot of driving dont you matt?my van will have around 20k miles on it after 5 years.probably even less....
price higher/work harder!

Don Kee

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 08:24:11 am »
I find it quite interesting that you’ve got the custom and not had any problems with it- according to my mechanic , I’m better off with the old shape transit instead of the custom because they have so many problems. He said don’t you wonder why there is so many 5 year old customs for sale for around £5/6 k ? And yet an old transit van get get around £4K .
Now I don’t know whether he’s talking b******s so I keep taking my tranny back to him every now and then with small problems so he can keep money coming in or whether he’s looking out for me and warning me against the custom

Odd your mechanic can be so generalistic when the Custom has had two totally different engines in that time, with 6 different maps (euro 5 & euro 6, each with 3 different maps)
Any idea which actual version of the custom he meant or just ‘all’ of them?

When the van sounds like a tank for 10mins, it’s ‘regenning’. Just try your best to keep revs around 2-2.5k until it stops.
Touch the windscreen as well and you’ll notice it goes warm. Its a good indicator for when your van is going through a regen but also when its finished.

2 years, 20k miles, no problems with DPF...yet!

Shrek

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 08:37:18 am »
I find it quite interesting that you’ve got the custom and not had any problems with it- according to my mechanic , I’m better off with the old shape transit instead of the custom because they have so many problems. He said don’t you wonder why there is so many 5 year old customs for sale for around £5/6 k ? And yet an old transit van get get around £4K .
Now I don’t know whether he’s talking b******s so I keep taking my tranny back to him every now and then with small problems so he can keep money coming in or whether he’s looking out for me and warning me against the custom

Odd your mechanic can be so generalistic when the Custom has had two totally different engines in that time, with 6 different maps (euro 5 & euro 6, each with 3 different maps)
Any idea which actual version of the custom he meant or just ‘all’ of them?

Whe the van sounds like a tank for 10mins it’s ‘regenning’. Just try your best to keep revs around 2-2.5k until it stops.
Touch the windscreen as well and you’ll notice it goes warm. Its a good indicator for when your van is going through a regen but also when its finished.

2 years, 20k miles, no problems with DPF...yet!

He was on about all of them lol , once the 5 year warranty runs out , then the problems start apparently. I do like the look of them though  :)

Lee GLS

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:09 pm »
I have had a van (Citroen dispatch 2.0 hid) with a DPF for the last year, I was desperate not to have one but had to change my van.

I may sound a bit anal, but For the last year I constantly monitor the DPF with a Bluetooth obd2 reader and a app on my amazon kindle fire.

My van averages a regen every 150 miles. You can’t tell that it is doing it apart from the engine fan running.

From Monitoring the regens I can tell you that tagging the van makes no difference, doesn’t unblock anything doesn’t make the DPF heat up any quicker.

For trying different driving styles when it is carrying out a regen, the optimum revs is 2500k and this allows the DPF to get up to temperate the quickest and maintains the temperature, it has to get up to 530 degrees to regenerate at its quickest.

The regen actually completes quicker stationary holding the revs at 2500k and with get the content down to 0 much quicker that driving.

I may be a bit OTT with this, but I would sooner Complete the regens properly that have to spend a fortune on replacing it.

My van has covered 70k

I hope this is of help  :)

dd

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 08:06:42 pm »
Dazmond. I am not mechanically minded but I hear frequently (often on this site) about problems people have with new vans. The more technology there is the more there is to go wrong. My mechanic basically says the same thing, and that people are often surprised at the high cost of fixing modern diesels when they go wrong.

I would still buy a new van (cannot escape technology forever) but prefer to get a few more years out of my 12 year old dispatch first.

Don Kee

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »
I have had a van (Citroen dispatch 2.0 hid) with a DPF for the last year, I was desperate not to have one but had to change my van.

I may sound a bit anal, but For the last year I constantly monitor the DPF with a Bluetooth obd2 reader and a app on my amazon kindle fire.

My van averages a regen every 150 miles. You can’t tell that it is doing it apart from the engine fan running.

From Monitoring the regens I can tell you that tagging the van makes no difference, doesn’t unblock anything doesn’t make the DPF heat up any quicker.

For trying different driving styles when it is carrying out a regen, the optimum revs is 2500k and this allows the DPF to get up to temperate the quickest and maintains the temperature, it has to get up to 530 degrees to regenerate at its quickest.

The regen actually completes quicker stationary holding the revs at 2500k and with get the content down to 0 much quicker that driving.

I may be a bit OTT with this, but I would sooner Complete the regens properly that have to spend a fortune on replacing it.

My van has covered 70k

You reckon thats true of most manufacturers DFP systems?

I was under the impression that the van had to be in gear and moving for a regen not to ‘fail’, if you can let it crack on whilst stationary then it’ll stop me from driving needlessly around like a wally in second gear when I know it’s regening (its very noticeable in the customs with the short exhaust)

Don Kee

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 08:25:27 pm »
Dazmond. I am not mechanically minded but I hear frequently (often on this site) about problems people have with new vans. The more technology there is the more there is to go wrong. My mechanic basically says the same thing, and that people are often surprised at the high cost of fixing modern diesels when they go wrong.

I would still buy a new van (cannot escape technology forever) but prefer to get a few more years out of my 12 year old dispatch first.

Millions of new vans; even if you hear of a thousand problems then the percentages aren’t bad.

I trust my mechanic like I trust my barber, I will only visit them.
But he only ever seems to tell me about the problems with various vehicles...it’s almost like it’s his job to find the faults in all vehicles so he can fix them...

(Out of interest though, how often do you hear of ‘new van problems’ on this site?! I’ve been on here for a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn’t say it was regular...?)

Lee GLS

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 08:47:39 pm »

My van has covered 70k

I was under the impression that the van had to be in gear and moving for a regen not to ‘fail’, if you can let it crack on whilst stationary then it’ll stop me from driving needlessly around like a wally in second gear when I know it’s regening (its very noticeable in the customs with the short exhaust)

It’s probably no different to doing a forced regen at a garage which is  carried out stationary. Try it on your van. When the engine fan goes off the regen has finnished, as long as the fan is running it will keep on doing it.

There are so many thoughts on when and how a regen starts. A lot of people say to get the engine hot, others say rag it on the motorway and it will start but from monitoring mine it’s all a load of rubbish.

The figure on the app that I use tells you the weight of the spot in the DPF, as soon as it clicks over to 6.000g it with initiate a regen, regardless of the engine temp, outside temp, how fast you are traveling.

p1w1

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 09:29:19 pm »

My van has covered 70k

It’s probably no different to doing a forced regen at a garage which is  carried out stationary. Try it on your van. When the engine fan goes off the regen has finnished, as long as the fan is running it will keep on doing it.

There are so many thoughts on when and how a regen starts. A lot of people say to get the engine hot, others say rag it on the motorway and it will start but from monitoring mine it’s all a load of rubbish.

The figure on the app that I use tells you the weight of the spot in the DPF, as soon as it clicks over to 6.000g it with initiate a regen, regardless of the engine temp, outside temp, how fast you are traveling.
do you have a link to bluetooth unit that you use and do you use the torque app

Lee GLS

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 10:12:01 pm »

My van has covered 70k

do you have a link to bluetooth unit that you use and do you use the torque app

This
https://tinyurl.com/y8v462q6

And this app but it only works on Citroen peugeos on Android

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAP-Citroen-Peugeot-ELM327-OBD2/dp/B01LJUI2TA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXdRbeA4ENk

p1w1

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:31 pm »
Thanks