Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matt.

Powering pumps using mains supply ..... Is it possible
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:57:28 pm »
Hello guys

I have a little question for anyone technical

I have a job to do, we're the van is sat still, with a nice flow of water into the tank to keep us going all day and am wanting to run 3 or 4 pumps off it, Infact am thinking an Ibc set up with pumps .. working about 200 plus meters away up and around a high incline.

A bit of a donkey job but doable....

My concern is battery life as job will run in a few days at least and was thinking is it possible to power the pumps from a mains supply in the building using a converter of some sort and extension lead.

Thanks guys

Matt

robert mitchell

Re: Powering pumps using mains supply ..... Is it possible
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
Hello guys

I have a job to do, we're the van is sat still, with a nice flow of water into the tank to keep us going all day and am wanting to run 3 or 4 pumps off it, Infact am thinking an Ibc set up with pumps .. working about 200 plus meters away up and around a high incline.

My concern is battery life as job will run in a few days at least and was thinking is it possible to power the pumps from a mains supply in the building using a converter of some sort and extension lead.

Thanks guys

Matt

Just take your mains battery charger and leave it connected to system battery while you work , preferably a smart charger.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:46:32 pm »
Hello guys

Thanks guys

Matt

Just take your mains battery charger and leave it connected to system battery while you work , preferably a smart charger.

That’s the way to work it.

Just reel out an extension cable to your van from the job site.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Matt.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »
Guys that was my first thought, but h&s fell over when u say something that straight forward and was fully against it .....

I have spoke to there onsite electrician regarding the matter and what's acceptable and what's not, the solution looks like it's a 110v converter box into another converter to power pumps

H&s hey, got to love them avnt ya

Thanks

Matt

robert mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:13:58 pm »
Guys that was my first thought, but h&s fell over when u say something that straight forward and was fully against it .....

I have spoke to there onsite electrician regarding the matter and what's acceptable and what's not, the solution looks like it's a 110v converter box into another converter to power pumps

H&s hey, got to love them avnt ya

Thanks

Matt

Sounds like the health and safety guy has been smoking something !
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

andyM

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:34 am »
Couldn't you use two 110ah leisure batteries to run the 3-4 pumps for each day?
One of the Plebs

Matt.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:47:25 am »
In hindsight Ye u could use a few leisure batteries and these was the first thought, then the charger to keep them topped up.

Wasn't sure if a leisure battery would power 2 pumps for 8-10 hrs with us working so far away from the vans, and for so long. Was thinking they would start to drop off through the day.

Matt.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:51:30 am »
H&s guys is a lady Robert 😂

It's very much her way or the highway, she's so strict it's unreal.

andyM

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:58:40 am »
In hindsight Ye u could use a few leisure batteries and these was the first thought, then the charger to keep them topped up.

Wasn't sure if a leisure battery would power 2 pumps for 8-10 hrs with us working so far away from the vans, and for so long. Was thinking they would start to drop off through the day.

Two large leisure batteries should be more than adequate.

One of the Plebs

Don Kee

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:57:29 am »
So you can run four hose reels with 200metres of hose, you can run a converter (which’ll need to be run off the mains anyway) but you cant run an extension lead from said mains?

The H&S guys at this job want sacking...

Two batteries (min 110ah) will be fine run all day, then just bench them both at night.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »
Jobs gunna be a nightmare with her involved I wouldn’t do it at any price

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »
Use two fully charged batteries.  When one "tires" put it on charge at the customers premises (no long 240v leads). Swap batteries. If that one "tires" put the partially charged one on again. That should last 8 hours?
It's a game of three halves!

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »
In terms of how long a 12V battery will last, Current draw form the pumps is the factor to work from. There is no mention of what amp rating the pumps are or if these are being controlled.

If we assume four x 9 amp max rated pumps run with no controller then current draw per pump is around 7 amps x 4 = 28 amps an hour  a 110AH battery will give two hours use before needing a charge. Two 110 AN batteries connected will give you four hours use.

Using a 12V controller will reduce amp draw by around 50% but still provide the same flow. So now you get 4 hours use from one 110AH battery and 8 hours from two batteries

If the site is happy for you to plug in a battery charger then why not use it. No trailing cables no Issue
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Matt.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »
So you can run four hose reels with 200metres of hose, you can run a converter (which’ll need to be run off the mains anyway) but you cant run an extension lead from said mains?

The H&S guys at this job want sacking...

Two batteries (min 110ah) will be fine run all day, then just bench them both at night.

You can run as many hoses as u like as long as none of them are on the floor, cones or no cones area is open to the public if they so choose to walk that way, and possibly a short sighted person could pass through 🤔

H&s 1-0 window cleaner .......
Any ways hoses are going up the side of building and along the outside of a gantry so won't touch the floor.
To save a lot of time. At the end of the day disconnect hoses from van tank, and guy on the roof pulls hoses back up so in morning can be dropped..... Wait there lowered down to guy on the bottom to re connect up

Matt.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »
In terms of how long a 12V battery will last, Current draw form the pumps is the factor to work from. There is no mention of what amp rating the pumps are or if these are being controlled.

If we assume four x 9 amp max rated pumps run with no controller then current draw per pump is around 7 amps x 4 = 28 amps an hour  a 110AH battery will give two hours use before needing a charge. Two 110 AN batteries connected will give you four hours use.

Using a 12V controller will reduce amp draw by around 50% but still provide the same flow. So now you get 4 hours use from one 110AH battery and 8 hours from two batteries

If the site is happy for you to plug in a battery charger then why not use it. No trailing cables no Issue

Now this is a man of much knowledge 👍

Thanks Ian

There onsite electrician says this to me and asked for me to leave a pump in his workshop so he can tell me the correct converter to use regarding the ampage
It's definaltey a 110v box first then another converter, he will also pat test all pumps as she has pointed this out 😂 And I would run them without controllers
My main concern is the battery life, and was thinking with a power supply pumps would run at maximum power, plus I say 200 metres it could be more in some parts.

Thanks Ian

Matt

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:31:09 pm »
Why dont you just hire in a 110v generator and step the voltage down from that ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:10 pm »
Why dont you just hire in a 110v generator and step the voltage down from that ?

In fact , my 240v genny has a socket on it that you plug croc clips into to charge batteries , it may be a 240v genny but in this instance it wont be supplying 240 volt . 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !