Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan s

Some advice please
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:51 pm »
I posted last year asking for some advice but unfortunately I hurt my back so have only really worked part-time since.

Anyway,   I’m wondering if anyone in the West Midlands/Black Country could spare me some time for some advice. 

A bit of background.    I was a raving Alkie 7 years ago and managed to get off the stuff and stay off the stuff.    A lot of damage was done mentally and financially.   Over the next few months I will finally be out of debt.       For this reason I still work out of my car.     If anyone is available for some advice please let me know.

deeege

Re: Some advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 03:33:58 pm »
There’s plenty of ex alkies on here that will be along to offer advice. Well done for getting sober.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

John Mart

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:36:19 pm »
There’s plenty of ex alkies on here that will be along to offer advice. Well done for getting sober.
There's a few practicing ones that'll post "advice" later tonight.

Dane

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:51:04 pm »
Fair play for getting through it mate, sorry I’m not around that part

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:25:53 pm »
Advice is much the same across the country mate, what do you want to know?

edward1

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:32:45 pm »

i agree how can we help

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:58:37 pm »
keep off the booze....
price higher/work harder!

Jonathan s

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 07:05:51 pm »

Thanks,   I kept meaning to reply but I am a bit embarrassed.

So 8 years ago I started window cleaning as was out of work again due to the booze.     I quit soon after and got a lot of work quite quickly.    Looking back I took on any work
I could by not charging much as I should of.     So I’ve probably got a few book with a lot of them still not paying enough.     I’ve been putting a lot of them up by one or two quid.   I made a bit of a rod for my own back as never put them up for years and years.

So I probably earn £600 to £550 a week traditional.    I’m very good at what I do and wipe all the frames and sills down.     I’ve recently started making a bit of a show on how I wipe all the frames and sills down.   Really trying to sell that part.      For a long time I never took it seriously and would have a week off here and there due to bouts of depression.    I’ve recently been talking to a mindset coach and am a lot better mentally.

After 7 years off the booze I am nearly debt free which is a big thing    I still work out of a car and rent a 3 floor flat.

Sorry if it’s a bit disjointed.   So where do I turn now?

Dane

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:23:39 pm »
Fair play mate, glad to hear you’re doing now better then you were... be proud of where you’ve got to and never embarrassed by what you’ve been through...

Guess the question is... where do you want to go? Some lads on here seem to want loads of vans, I guess there are others who still operate out of a car? Look how far you’ve come mate and by sounds of it you can achieve quite a lot with ypir positive mindset

Lee Pryor

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »
What are your goals? It's easier to help if we know what you want to achieve....,.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 07:31:59 pm »

Thanks,   I kept meaning to reply but I am a bit embarrassed.

So 8 years ago I started window cleaning as was out of work again due to the booze.     I quit soon after and got a lot of work quite quickly.    Looking back I took on any work
I could by not charging much as I should of.     So I’ve probably got a few book with a lot of them still not paying enough.     I’ve been putting a lot of them up by one or two quid.   I made a bit of a rod for my own back as never put them up for years and years.

So I probably earn £600 to £550 a week traditional.    I’m very good at what I do and wipe all the frames and sills down.     I’ve recently started making a bit of a show on how I wipe all the frames and sills down.   Really trying to sell that part.      For a long time I never took it seriously and would have a week off here and there due to bouts of depression.    I’ve recently been talking to a mindset coach and am a lot better mentally.

After 7 years off the booze I am nearly debt free which is a big thing    I still work out of a car and rent a 3 floor flat.

Sorry if it’s a bit disjointed.   So where do I turn now?

Heres an option.

Maybe now you've finally got rid of your debts you recommit to staying sober. Lets face it, drinking aint going to help you one bit, but once the memories begin to fade it can sometimes seem like a reasonable option.

Its not. Im 21 years sober and wouldn't have it any other way.

Once you've reconsidered where you're going professionally maybe think about the extra cash you'll have from not paying those CCJ's. You could invest in a second-hand van and convert over to WFP. Once you've moved along in this direction you'll hopefully be earning more and can then consider upgrading or taking another van and employee on.

It might all seem rather daunting at the moment but you dont have to waste your efforts you've put in to your business and sobriety so far. Onwards and upwards Jonathan.

Jonathan s

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:45 pm »
Thanks.   I’m 7 years off the damn stuff and luckily don’t think or miss the drink.    Don’t ever want to go back to the hell.

My goals are to obviously earn more money.    And to feel like I’ve achieved something.     I’m working on it at the moment,  the feeling of failure is big.     

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:37:17 pm »
Well from what I have just read I cant see any failure?

Your dry for 7 years, are making £500+ a week and are now starting to take things more seriously.

You are putting more effort in to your work quality and are reaching out for advice in the right places.

Sounds like a huge success to me mate, keep going. What would you like to happen next?

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 09:38:43 pm »
To quote Les brown

"Find out what it is you want then go after it like your life depends on it!"

Why?

"Because it does"

Marc Stock

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 09:55:22 pm »
Thanks.   I’m 7 years off the damn stuff and luckily don’t think or miss the drink.    Don’t ever want to go back to the hell.

My goals are to obviously earn more money.    And to feel like I’ve achieved something.     I’m working on it at the moment,  the feeling of failure is big.   

I have never been dependant on alcohol, but i was a sufferer of chronic depression for 9 years. That feeling of failure would often raise its ugly head, and it would undo my progress and then i would fail.

Often the feeling of failure wasnt actually because i was failing in any way at that point,.but just the feelings of desperation, heartbreak, and uselessness and failing were present when there was no need for it to exist.

When you start to realise that feelings of desperation, and failure are seperate to the actual facts, you start to understand the mechanism of depression and how it works.

Keep it up m8. You have done well. The facts are you have come off the booze and sustained a business. FACT!!! well done

Johnny B

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:01 am »
Seems to me that you have done very, very well to beat your alcohol addiction, build your business and become almost debt free.

All those things have taken a lot of determination and hard work.

I'm not sure if you need advice or just some reassurance, but for what it's worth I would suggest looking how far you have come and what you have achieved.

Take stock of where your business is and where you want to take it. Set yourself some realistic targets and go for them. Every step forward is continued success..

I am sure I speak for many who would be very interested to read how you get on.

Best wishes,
John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:59:59 pm »
Do you want to stay trad?if I were u once your debts are paid off I'd start thinking of investing in WFP......but living in a 3rd floor flat could be a problem unless there's a place nearby where u could buy pure water.....

WFP will earn u more money in less time after a few years despite the higher running costs....u should still be quids in...
price higher/work harder!

Jonathan s

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:30:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help so far.    I’ve learned a bit more in the last week than 8 years in be job.    I’m not charging enough particularly for gutter cleans etc.     I was only charging £20.   What an idiot.    It was always in my mind that aomwone will come in and take my work!

Shrek

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:43 pm »
You know your too cheap when your getting a yes every time , don’t be afraid of putting your prices up. Chances are , the customers already chose you for the job because of who you are  :)

Jonathan s

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 10:46:55 pm »
You know your too cheap when your getting a yes every time , don’t be afraid of putting your prices up. Chances are , the customers already chose you for the job because of who you are  :)

I’ve got a good reputation,   Slowly putting my prices up.    I’m going to be traditional for a couple of years yet so need to make the most of it.   

Anyone use the gutter tools on an unger pole ?