This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bonzer

WFP causing damage to Patio windows?
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:47:39 pm »
I have a friend who has been WFP for 5 months or so. Right from the start he noticed that the rubber at the top of metal patio doors can be a problem so he only cleaned up to the top of the glass.

Today he had a phone call from a customer who aggressively complained that water had got in the top vent and run down the inside of the sealed unit. When he went round to investigate, the sealed unit was misted up inside but there were no runs or other marks near the top.

The customer had recently had all windows replaced EXCEPT the patio door and my mate reckons he is just out to get that last window done, because he is insisting that he sort the problem out.

Is WFP likely to cause this sort of misting?

mark f

Re: WFP causing damage to Patio windows?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:36:27 pm »
err no. the misting inside the unit is due to the old units seal giving out hence losing the vacuum and allowing condensation inside. The break in the seal only has to be very small but this is enough to allow moisture in.

Bonzer

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:42:55 pm »
But could the customer legitimately say that it's the moisture caused by the WFP that's caused the problem?

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:43:56 pm »
Bonzer,

No!
Tell your mate to dump him !

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

matt

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:47:38 pm »
Bonzer,

No!

David

and gave him a slap

the cheek of it  ::)

twt

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:49:52 pm »
Any moisture including that left by wfp will get in when a double glazed unit goes, however wfp water will not be the cause of this and even if this window was done traditional it would have misted up. the seals in double glazing do tend to go especially on windows which were fitted when double glazing first came out as these are inferior to what is on  the market today. Your mate definatly does not want to accept liability for this, and im sure any window fitting company would be able to vouch for him.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 10:58:47 pm »
Phill,

Wasn't you who told that woman I'd done a bad job on her Conservatory????

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:01:00 pm »
WFP does not cause a unit to break down - but if has broken down already then cleaning might cause condensation to appear if the temperature/humidity conditions are "right".

If the patios are aluminium and over five years old the units might well start breaking down anyway, get to ten years old and it's almost inevitable. It's more likely the opening and closing action which causes the breakdown. (Aluminium absorbs less shockwaves than UPVC) It's more likely the moving door which has "gone".

I did a factory with old aluminium sealed units and nearly all the opening windows units had broken down and all the unopening windows remained intact.

I can't prove it but I reckon it's a "try-on" by the customer and if he brings it up again I would politely and firmly say "I do not accept any responsibility for the break-down of your sealed units."

If he threatens small claims court I would firmly say "I will defend this action vigorously and if you insist on proceeding I will counter-claim for any expenses I incur in defending what I consider to be a  frivolous claim."

(You might add "I never clean top vents except by wiping them over with a cloth")

It's a game of three halves!

jinky230

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 11:10:45 pm »
bonzer tell him to claim the double glazing company under the warranty

and if it is out of warranty, then tell him that he cannot claim you for something that has not been kept up with servicing.If he had it serviced regular and can show the last service to the window that the seals were checked  by an engineer and were proved sound then ok but if not then he can not blame you for wear and tear

jinky

matt

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:44 pm »
Bonzer,

No!

David

and gave him a slap

the cheek of it  ::)

of course that should read HER

Bonzer

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:19:47 pm »

of course that should read HER

Nope - right the first time - HIM!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:15:47 am »
But could the customer legitimately say that it's the moisture caused by the WFP that's caused the problem?

This supposed moisture has just appeared, therefore, get a double glazing company to inspect the door immediately, he will be able to tell you if this break down is recent or has been down to prolonged wear and tear.

I would also ask the customer who fitted his new windows and then call them and ask why the customer didn't get the patio doors changed, was it because of budget??

I think this is someone trying it on, I would type a letter out explaining the complaints procedure, explain to him that all relevant actions will be taken to investigate this claim and should the claim be found "Not Proven" you will seek compensation from your customer for expenses incurred. Take this letter to him and get a signature with date saying he/her agrees to this.

Then if he accepts and the claim isn't your responsibility take him to court and if it is proven your fault get your insurance comapny to deal with it.

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Archy136

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:12:16 am »
Some customers will try to pin anything on if they can. Only yesterday I had a cheque through with a note in it saying there was a brown patch on her lawn where I must of left my bucket and could I make sure I dont leave it there again.
The stupid thing I ve been using WFP for the past year ever since i started the job and she seen me many times.

And  i didnt have a p*** either!

DASERVICES

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 05:30:54 pm »

I've just had a customer who moaned that WFP had ruined her window, when
  I went to look there was only condisation in between and no runs. I explained
  to her that her seal had gone,  she then claimed on her ten year warranty
  and is getting a new window.

What WFP does do is find out the windows that need to be replaced  ;D ;D

A happy customer.

Doug

abacus

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:16:20 pm »
Hi Bonzer
I used to work fitting DG the rubbers around the glass do tend to strink on the ali type the rudder was a u shape and the joint was placed at the top. all replacement windows (ali and PVCu) are designed with drainage so if and when the water penitrates the rubber it will find its way out. The sealed unit is made by bonding two sheets of glass usally with an ali spacer bar which is hollow and filled with moisture absorbing crystles so when the unit is ok no tpye of washing will effect it. when the unit breaks down the crystles can obsorb only so much therefor mosture will build up in the unit when you wash it especially with a wfp you cool the outside glass very quickly allowing the mosture to condensate on the glass.

the reason probably that the customer would like your friend to replace them is this patio door glass as with any low level glass and consevatorys must by law be safty glass either laminated or toughened which is very much more than standard float glass and of course the size is large too.

I sould tell him to explain this to them and tell them that pilkintons will confim this.

tell him not to worry they will get nowhere with such a claim  his insurance would just throw it out so would any court.

Regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Trevor Knight

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 06:31:48 am »
Hi Grant,

Interesting posting, never knew about crystals and all that stuff?

Cheers,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

twt

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 08:04:08 am »
david i didn't say anything about that job