This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clean Cloth

Lichen on fiberglass roof
« on: March 26, 2018, 01:56:04 pm »
I just quoted for my first conservatory roof job and will do it later in the week.
It has a twinwall polycarbonate  roof.

The customer asked me to also quote for his car port roof which looks like fiberglass to me and it looks like the dirt and lichen is ingrained into the material, so I explained that I did not know how well the car port roof would come out. I will try a test patch when I do the conservatory roof.
I was going to wet the roof, apply a dilute mixture of degreaser and anti algae, let it sit for 10 minutes and scrub with a tap water fed pole and brush.

Any tips on how to get good results on this type of roof?

Smudger

Re: Lichen on fiberglass roof
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »

is it one of those stepped roofs ?

the problem with fibre glass is its rough and a chore to get it out of the fibre swirls  best results is to use a hypo mix and apply via water fed pole then rinse off with a scrub or rinse down at low pressure with a pressure washer

TFR doesn't really cut it on F/g

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:39:43 pm »

is it one of those stepped roofs ?

the problem with fibre glass is its rough and a chore to get it out of the fibre swirls  best results is to use a hypo mix and apply via water fed pole then rinse off with a scrub or rinse down at low pressure with a pressure washer

TFR doesn't really cut it on F/g

Darran

+1
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:54:14 pm »
I've quoted for a few of these car ports and you're correct with your observations regarding ingrained impurities.
I always carry out a patch test clean on a small inconspicuous area of the car port and then ask the custard if they are happy with the result.
You can clean but not rejuvenate something which has been neglected for years and don't forget your name and reputation will be on the completed job.
I put all these remarks in the quotation to cover my derriere     

Clean Cloth

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:39:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the car port is a stepped roof, semi transparent, looks discoloured from the heat of the sun and dirt and lichen.

I told him I will do a small area for no charge while I do the Conservatory, he can then decide.
As I was leaving he told me 2 guys were paid £45 last week to clean the car port, he had to go out and when he came back it did not look any different.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 05:54:14 pm »
I just quoted for my first conservatory roof job and will do it later in the week.
It has a twinwall polycarbonate  roof.

The customer asked me to also quote for his car port roof which looks like fiberglass to me and it looks like the dirt and lichen is ingrained into the material, so I explained that I did not know how well the car port roof would come out. I will try a test patch when I do the conservatory roof.
I was going to wet the roof, apply a dilute mixture of degreaser and anti algae, let it sit for 10 minutes and scrub with a tap water fed pole and brush.

Any tips on how to get good results on this type of roof?

IME fibreglass roofs dont come up that well if theres ingrained algae etc on it.there will always be a bit of a green colour to it.as  long as the customers expectations are not too high you should be ok.if it has lichen on it i wouldnt bother personally(too much like hard work).i dont use bleach on any of my add on jobs.....
price higher/work harder!

Clean Cloth

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:37:06 pm »
I did my first conservatory roof this morning and quite enjoyed it, only a small 3 panel pent roof.
I know some of you are not keen on doing conservatory roofs but for me I can earn more doing them than windows.

Also did a test patch on the car port and it came up better than I thought, the customer is really happy with it and I will do the Car Port after I clean out the gutters and do the external FSG in 3 weeks time.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:41:40 pm »
a bucket and a hand brush.......really? ::)roll

i bet it took you hours.......

did you stand on the roof?
price higher/work harder!

Clean Cloth

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 08:04:44 pm »
The brush you can see, I used to get the moss I swept off the roof out of the gutter.

I was there 1 hour 40 minutes and I really took my time. That included a chat and a cup of tea, test patch on the car port, and a good clean up at the end. I could have been done in 1 hour if I had rushed.
I only had 1 other job today and arrived to that one 10 minutes early.

I used a water fed pole and no I did not get on or put any weight on the roof.
That is my window cleaning bucket I took up to hand brush under the tiles on the 2 end panels .

the king

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
maby worth spraying with biocide that will kill it and loosen it up to , then wfp it off after a week