Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cookie

DIY Tubeless Conversion
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:37:23 pm »
I'm considering a DIY tubeless conversion. I'm thinking of one of the following two options:

My reservations are:
  • With the first option is the 8mm John Guest connector sturdy enough for the regular connection & disconnection of the hose? NB: There doesn't seem to be an EZ snap/Rectus 21 female connector with a 5mm barb in order to connect pole hose to pole hose. Unless anyone knows anything different....
  • With the second option if the microbore is being pulled up into the inside of your pole does it make the pole a lot heavier in use - particularly when extended? Also beacuse the microbore has a 11.5mm outer diameter (as opposed to 8mm for the pole hose) I'm guessing there's a greater chance that grit could get on the inside of the pole, increasing pole wear & tear.

Just wondered what your experiences were... Also for those who have setup DIY tubeless it would be interesting to hear how you've done it & maybe even see some pics. Thanks.

paul alan

Re: DIY Tubeless Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
I whacked a rectus on the pole hose and it works fine.

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
Only thing that gets snagged is the o clip if your not careful, after a day or two you just extend the first bit a little more slowly and its second nature now.

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:00 pm »
I would say the easiest way to do it is ......

Red or green PU with the univalve as normal , with the pole closed up leave 8 to 12 inches of pole hose hanging out the bottom , put a male 6mm rectus on that .
Then attach enough pole hose of your choice onto the end of your micro/mini bore to fit your biggest pole with some to spare to give you movement , on the end of that put your female 6mm rectus .

My biggest pole is 10m so i put 15m of pole hose on the end of my microbore , i use single ear crimps for all joins and then a few wraps of insulation tape to smooth things out .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:33:19 pm »
However now that the weather is warming up i just run 100m of gardiner green as main hose which is even easier !

Cookie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:48:51 pm »

Red or green PU with the univalve as normal , with the pole closed up leave 8 to 12 inches of pole hose hanging out the bottom , put a male 6mm rectus on that .
Then attach enough pole hose of your choice onto the end of your micro/mini bore to fit your biggest pole with some to spare to give you movement , on the end of that put your female 6mm rectus .

My biggest pole is 10m so i put 15m of pole hose on the end of my microbore , i use single ear crimps for all joins and then a few wraps of insulation tape to smooth things out .

I think this would be my preferred setup. However I tried inserting a female 6mm rectus into my green Gardiners pole hose & it won't fit! I even tried softening the pole hose in boling water but it still wouldn't fit properly - only managed to get it half way. The green Gardiners pole hose has an internal diameter of just 5.5mm the barb on the rectus is 6mm....  How did you get yours to fit?

The male rectus has a 5mm barb - so no problems there...

andyM

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:52:03 pm »
Just buy the ex-ceed tubeless kit and be done with it!
One of the Plebs

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:26 pm »

I think this would be my preferred setup. However I tried inserting a female 6mm rectus into my green Gardiners pole hose & it won't fit! I even tried softening the pole hose in boling water but it still wouldn't fit properly - only managed to get it half way. The green Gardiners pole hose has an internal diameter of just 5.5mm the barb on the rectus is 6mm....  How did you get yours to fit?

The male rectus has a 5mm barb - so no problems there...

I know what you mean about it being tough to get on, I have had some struggles. If you have got it half way though mate, by hell or high water it'll go all the way!

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:35 pm »
Circlip pliers , the ones that prongs open as you squeeze the handles and boiling water first , but be quick its a tiny window !
You put the prongs in the hose and stretch it open .

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:21 pm »
Here is what I do if it gets really hard to go on, put the hose in boiling water for 1-2 minutes then insert 2 thin screwdrivers into the tube and pull them apart. You then have a few seconds to whip the screwdrivers out and feed onto fitting.

Where there's a will......

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:48 pm »
Here is what I do if it gets really hard to go on, put the hose in boiling water for 1-2 minutes then insert 2 thin screwdrivers into the tube and pull them apart. You then have a few seconds to whip the screwdrivers out and feed onto fitting.

Thats the poor mans way of doing it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I bet circlip pliers are on the shopping list now though eh Paul  ;D

paul alan

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:01 pm »

Thats the poor mans way of doing it  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I bet circlip pliers are on the shopping list now though eh Paul  ;D

Hahaha..... everything diy is the poor mans way of doing things. Or the "engineer" way of doing things as I like to think of myself.

Cookie

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:59 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Plankton

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:36:12 pm »
Needle nose pliers (inside hose) to stretch the hose in hot water.

tlwcs

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 06:23:25 am »
Completely agree

P @ F

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 08:16:23 am »
Completely agree

How much are these out of interest ?

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:47 am »
Completely agree

£45

P @ F

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 09:26:30 am »
Completely agree

£45

And that is why i will not be buying it then , i get the same outcome from a male and female rectus and 2 ear clips £10 or £45 , tough choice that  :-\

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 10:43:17 am »
Completely agree

£45

And that is why i will not be buying it then , i get the same outcome from a male and female rectus and 2 ear clips £10 or £45 , tough choice that  :-\
Fair enough.
The guys invested time and money though and needs to earn like we all do. The innovative part of it is the ejector sleeve, it enables one handed connection and disconnection of hose whilst holding the pole in the other. Granted, its not a crucial piece of kit but clever all the same. I've the univalve and tubeless kit and like it a lot. I wouldn't want to have to work without it.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:50:29 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPFwRnTdMho
Not my video but I did similar a few years ago. If you don't want to fork out £45 then this is a very simple way to diy it. I didn't use a washer though .... I made an  end stop / bung for  the number one pole section out of polymorph.

robbo333

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 03:18:56 pm »
I was contemplating 80m of gardeners green pu hose on the reel, straight up the pole and into the univalve. Out the univalve straight to the brush. If I add extensions, then disconnect fom the brush.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

mufcglen

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 03:20:08 pm »
i made my own using the guide somone posted a long time ago and using a pushfit insert then a piece of 8mm reel hose glue'd into the centre of it and then push and glue the end of the pole hose with male rectus fitted and no clip on the rectus as its glued in, all this holds in place real nice and easy to push the female rectus on.
when the exceed kit came out i thought i'd buy it to try out and ended up sticking with my diy pole piece but did use the ejector sleeve and need it more so now with the xtreme to get up inside the pole as no1 section is a fair bit shorter on the xtreme pole.
i think you can buy the sleeves separate so maybe buy one of those lads and make the rest like i did!

Cookie

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 03:56:26 pm »
Anyway.... I've managed to get the female rectus to fit on the green Gardiner pole hose at last & it seems to be working nicely.

I can however see myself getting frustrated at the female connector getting caught on the pole end cap as I'm extending section 1. I might need to make the end cap hole larger....

Cookie

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 03:59:02 pm »
when the exceed kit came out i thought i'd buy it to try out and ended up sticking with my diy pole piece but did use the ejector sleeve and need it more so now with the xtreme to get up inside the pole as no1 section is a fair bit shorter on the xtreme pole.
i think you can buy the sleeves separate so maybe buy one of those lads and make the rest like i did!

You can buy the sleeve separately for £10. So this would go over the female rectus would it? On the hose reel end?

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 04:02:47 pm »
Yes

paul alan

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
Anyway.... I've managed to get the female rectus to fit on the green Gardiner pole hose at last & it seems to be working nicely.

I can however see myself getting frustrated at the female connector getting caught on the pole end cap as I'm extending section 1. I might need to make the end cap hole larger....

Yeah it is annoying, I take the top 2 sections off my pole to make it an 18 for most work so with no end cap its better!

andyM

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
Yes I done away with the pole base end cap when I converted to Tubeless, because of the issue already mentioned.
One of the Plebs

P @ F

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 05:58:21 pm »
I just drilled the hole in the butt cap a bit bigger and taped up the fixing holding the male rectus .

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 06:09:49 pm »

Yeah it is annoying, I take the top 2 sections off my pole to make it an 18 for most work so with no end cap its better!

surely working with no end cap in place will trash your pole prematurely?(plus no insulated base section)........
price higher/work harder!

mufcglen

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 10:12:08 pm »
I just got a sharp blade and cut the base cap open more, personally I’d never work with no end cap.
Surely that would damage the end of the carbon poles eventually?

Cookie

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:49 pm »
I've got some holesaws - might try using one of these to increase the size of the end cap hole. Otherwise will just use a blade.

CasaDeCabra

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 08:11:37 pm »
Use a 22/25mm spade bit and drill through the capo into a piece of wood.