Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mjm

protectakote
« on: January 20, 2018, 09:34:09 am »
i   am thinking    of getting a new van     and the last one was ply lined    and I  used   protectakote    and now it looks  bad   cracked  holes  in it  broken up    do you gus take the ply floor out  or leave it in   and paint over the wood   or are you not using potectakote at all           all advise needed      please   

Spruce

Re: protectakote
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:37:29 am »
i   am thinking    of getting a new van     and the last one was ply lined    and I  used   protectakote    and now it looks  bad   cracked  holes  in it  broken up    do you gus take the ply floor out  or leave it in   and paint over the wood   or are you not using potectakote at all           all advise needed      please

Take it out. Use Protectakote on the metal floor.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

mjm

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:51:12 am »
ok spruce    thanks   

Dry Clean

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:23:00 am »
No real need for anything on your floor just cover any potential scrape zones with a rubber mat or similar, Protectakote is a
good job if applied right, before applying clean and lightly sand the van floor to remove the gloss, would also advice adding a hardener or it will take a lot longer to add three coats.
You will still need protection in places where you will dragging anything in and out of the van that has the potential to scape
so would still recommend a rubber mat to keep the floor tidy long term.

mjm

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:32:21 am »
do you know of any  companies who sell rolls of rubber mat  I think I could just cut it to size  and not use protectakote    and save taking ply out

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »
do you know of any  companies who sell rolls of rubber mat  I think I could just cut it to size  and not use protectakote    and save taking ply out

IMHO you must take the ply out. No matter how careful you are, you will spill water. Spilt water gets under the wood and doesn't dry out. If you have a galvanised floor pan then this will offer some protection against rust, but it won't stop the damp, musty smell than comes from rotting wood.

If you spill water you need it to be able to dry out.

My van is fully protectakoted without a ply floor. I have a couple of mats at the back to protect the floor when taking the hose reels in and out. The van's tank sits directly on top of the Protectakoted floor.

There are numerous ebay suppliers selling rubber matting. I have a couple of solid pieces but here's a supplier selling one with holes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-Anti-FATIGUE-RUBBER-Anti-SLIP-FLOOR-WORKSHOP-GREENHOUSE-MAT-5ft-x-3ft/322574640533?epid=1842319537&hash=item4b1af26595:m:mLMv-eNbMhr3WbxMotXmJDA
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

mjm

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:09:39 pm »
that's    great  spruce  thanks