Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

how much diesel do you put in your van a month?
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
mine used to be £40 but i reckon itll be more like £140 a month now with using a diesel heater.

how about you guys?(cold water and hot water users)
price higher/work harder!

Plankton

Re: how much diesel do you put in your van a month?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:13 pm »
Would need to look at the receipts for an average but I can say I've went from 34mpg in the pickup to 28mpg in the new van with smaller engine.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:56 am »
Just put your prices up to cover it Daz!👍
Comfortably Numb!

Jonny 87

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:52:02 am »
£40 per week for me seems to cover it, about 300 miles of driving.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:09:27 am »
A question - can you use Red diesel (40p per litre?)  in diesel water heaters - a) legally with a separate tank b) will the red diesel meet the specifications grade wise. Also Diesel generators - maybe for gutter vacs etc?

I don't have a diesel heater and I use about £80 a month for driving about 450 miles.
It's a game of three halves!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:46:47 am »
I used red diesel for everything apart from the van fuel. It’s the same stuff as regular diesel

It’s cheaper if you can get it local, when my local garage stopped selling it I had to travel 20miles to buy it then it stopped being economical to use unless you had a massive fuel tank or bought it in Jerry cans
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:53:32 am »
A question - can you use Red diesel (40p per litre?)  in diesel water heaters - a) legally with a separate tank b) will the red diesel meet the specifications grade wise. Also Diesel generators - maybe for gutter vacs etc?

I don't have a diesel heater and I use about £80 a month for driving about 450 miles.

apparently using red diesel in my heater voids the warranty and it can coke the burner up prematurely malc.what gets me though is these heaters are used in marine vehicles/narrowboats and im sure they all put red diesel in.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:31 am »
A quick story about using red diesel.....20 yrs ago  My brother had his car seized at Dover port because he had red diesel in his fuel tank,  they literally took his car.

He just sat in thier office and said....... “ok” ........40 minutes later they gave him his keys back and handed  him a leaflet about the  illegal use of red diesel.

The problem was he had his wife and 3 children with him, by taking his car they stranded the full family so they all sat in the customs office, his wife crying and his kids ( 2 of them under 10yrs) running around screaming thier heads off.   He just said “how can I leave I  don’t have a car and no money” 8)

Ps: They used to dip fuel tanks to check for red diesel but now the can check for red staining in the engine, so if the previous owner of your vehicle  used red it will still show that the van has used red diesel even if you have never used it

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:22 am »

...and thats without a diesel heater...blimey..... ;D.....you can add another £25-£30 a week to that jonny if you get a diesel heater or £1000-£1200 a year extra expense(based on a 10 month working year). ;D

im finding im using £5-£6 a day just using the heater which is what i expected before i bought it...

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:47:46 am »
Prior to the hot water system being fitted Id knock out £225 a month.

I guess that'll go up to £300.00 or so now.

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:11 pm »
£20 a week, does about 40mpg

Although I should get that down to £15 a week now since I'm compacting my work up better.

deeege

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »
£160 - £200 a month per van, x 2 vans.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 01:49:16 pm »

...and thats without a diesel heater...blimey..... ;D.....you can add another £25-£30 a week to that jonny if you get a diesel heater or £1000-£1200 a year extra expense(based on a 10 month working year). ;D

im finding im using £5-£6 a day just using the heater which is what i expected before i bought it...

Thanks for the info. :)

I’m used to spending about £3 per night on an immersion heater, so it’s not much of a jump for hot water.

Unless I got a 5kw heater then it would be about £3 a day I reckon.

Then again, no point if the 5kw only gives cold water.  ;D

Still waiting on Oliver getting back to me.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »

apparently using red diesel in my heater voids the warranty and it can coke the burner up prematurely malc.what gets me though is these heaters are used in marine vehicles/narrowboats and im sure they all put red diesel in.

Yes they do use red diesel in boats and have no end of problems with them beacause of it a friend of mine installs them and said they get a lot of problems with the ones that are run on red but very little with the ones run on white diesel

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:05 pm »
I put about £70 a week in diesel in the van generally most of our work is within 12 miles of home , boiler is running 8 hours a day 5 days a week

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 05:40:32 pm »

I’m used to spending about £3 per night on an immersion heater, so it’s not much of a jump for hot water.

just because the 5kw is virtually half the power of the 9.9kw doesnt mean the diesel costs would be half mate!

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »

just because the 5kw is virtually half the power of the 9.9kw doesnt mean the diesel costs would be half mate!

Very difficult to work out but I think my 9 kw burns around 1.1 to 1.5 ltr per hour I think  the info says 0.9 of a ltr per hour  like all fuel consumption figures very optimistic

Johnny B

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 05:53:53 pm »
€25 per week on average.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Bungle

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:01 pm »
£75 a week. I Do about 500 miles a week.
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
£75 a week. I Do about 500 miles a week.

i guess you wont be getting a diesel water heater any time soon then mate.

thats a hefty fuel bill.

P @ F

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 06:16:09 pm »
No more than £15 a week , which is nice  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Frankybadboy

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:02 pm »
Daz get that all back cause he cleans that much quicker now  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:36 pm »

Ps: They used to dip fuel tanks to check for red diesel but now the can check for red staining in the engine, so if the previous owner of your vehicle  used red it will still show that the van has used red diesel even if you have never used it

There's a cure for that...........
http://www.dieseldye.com/
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CleanClear

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:47 pm »

The answer is yes you can.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:29 pm »

You are right yes you can but it will void the warranty and inevitably cost you a lot of money in replacement screens , lost time off work getting it fixed , not worth the hassle in my book
The answer is yes you can.

NWH

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 10:16:41 am »
I do about 300 every month sometimes just over I’m also doing about 4-500 miles a week.

MNWC

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:44 pm »
One of my custys is a chemist he said red is exactly the same as white diesel only with a permanent red dye. He also said you can buy a white dye...... ;) ;) :-X :-X

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 08:18:59 pm »
One of my custys is a chemist he said red is exactly the same as white diesel only with a permanent red dye. He also said you can buy a white dye...... ;) ;) :-X :-X

My understanding is that he is partially right. Since 2011 and 2013 the regulations changed with regard to the supply of diesel to inland marinas and other allowable uses - farm equipment and stationary engines.

The regulations do not include marinas where boats are ocean going so that fuel is still rubbish and will coke up diesel heaters.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/Pages/red-diesel.aspx

As for inland marinas the fuel they are now supplying seems to have made a difference to the boats using Webasto diesel heaters for heating by live aboards as there have been very few complaints since 2011.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »

My understanding is that he is partially right. Since 2011 and 2013 the regulations changed with regard to the supply of diesel to inland marinas and other allowable uses - farm equipment and stationary engines.

The regulations do not include marinas where boats are ocean going so that fuel is still rubbish and will coke up diesel heaters.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/Pages/red-diesel.aspx

As for inland marinas the fuel they are now supplying seems to have made a difference to the boats using Webasto diesel heaters for heating by live aboards as there have been very few complaints since 2011.

Yes we are on the coast and the red diesel in the marina s hear causes no end of problems my mate gets fed up sorting wabasto heaters out that are coked up beacause of red

Og

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:26 pm »
About £250 a month.

I was dipped by hmrc just yesterday.