Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Harwood

Smell
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »
Hi all
Cleaned a carpet last Tuesday and got a call back saying there's a terrible smell coming from carpet ( i did warn her to keep it ventilated )  It seems she shut windows and doors then went out after i'd finished cleaning.  so i called round and put deodoriser down and told to keep the front door open for a few hours. She called me again to say the smell is still there....what can i do?

wayne zabel

Re: Smell
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:39:01 pm »
Theres a product from Chemspec I think its called Formula 429.It kills the spores that develop in a damp carpet due to extended drying times in humid weather.

I had a similar problem this week when the client said her carpet had started smelling.I cleaned on Tuesday in vey humid weather.

I went round today and treated with the above stuff.To be honest I couldn't smell a thing even getting down on my hands and knees and smelling the carpet.

John Kelly

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »

We are at that time of year again when we start getting lots of phone calls from customers saying they’ve cleaned a carpet and their customer has rang a few days later saying the carpets smelling.
What causes this is the high humidity in the air prevents the carpet drying as humid air can’t absorb any more moisture. After a few hours tiny Mould and Mildew Spores deep in the carpet pile start to germinate and grow. As they grow they off a gas a musty smell.
Some cleaners are still making the mistake of going back and re-cleaning the carpet. This is the the worst thing you can possibly do as you are just adding more moisture and will make matter even worse.
These Moulds and Mildews require moisture to thrive so will go on giving off an odour until the carpet is completely dry, which in the humid months, June – September can take up to a week.
Berbers and Saxony (long pile) type carpets are the most susceptible to these problems.
How can you avoid it? You can use Dripods or Air Movers to dry the carpet at least some of the way before leaving the property, or leave a Dripod in situ and pick it up later. Another way is to rinse using a suitable anti fungal product. Formula 429 is the best, or use 429 or Craftex Microkill with your pre-spray. ANTI BACTERIAL DEODOURISERS WILL NOT WORK.
To remedy an existing problems install dryers and spray carpet with Formula 429 and brush well in.

neil 47

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:28:27 pm »
I find most dry out and the smell goes 3 to 5 days
IICRC

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:31:04 pm »

We are at that time of year again when we start getting lots of phone calls from customers saying they’ve cleaned a carpet and their customer has rang a few days later saying the carpets smelling.
What causes this is the high humidity in the air prevents the carpet drying as humid air can’t absorb any more moisture. After a few hours tiny Mould and Mildew Spores deep in the carpet pile start to germinate and grow. As they grow they off a gas a musty smell.
Some cleaners are still making the mistake of going back and re-cleaning the carpet. This is the the worst thing you can possibly do as you are just adding more moisture and will make matter even worse.
These Moulds and Mildews require moisture to thrive so will go on giving off an odour until the carpet is completely dry, which in the humid months, June – September can take up to a week.
Berbers and Saxony (long pile) type carpets are the most susceptible to these problems.
How can you avoid it? You can use Dripods or Air Movers to dry the carpet at least some of the way before leaving the property, or leave a Dripod in situ and pick it up later. Another way is to rinse using a suitable anti fungal product. Formula 429 is the best, or use 429 or Craftex Microkill with your pre-spray. ANTI BACTERIAL DEODOURISERS WILL NOT WORK.
To remedy an existing problems install dryers and spray carpet with Formula 429 and brush well in.

John what do you mean a week to dry. I've seen loads of posts where guys say they hwe and the carpet is dry in a hour😀😀😀

maxcampbell

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:26 am »
We've found the worst are long pile polyprops. We use 429, but it can still take a while for the smell to go.

Paul H Coulthard

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:31:24 am »
Hi all
Cleaned a carpet last Tuesday and got a call back saying there's a terrible smell coming from carpet ( i did warn her to keep it ventilated )  It seems she shut windows and doors then went out after i'd finished cleaning.  so i called round and put deodoriser down and told to keep the front door open for a few hours. She called me again to say the smell is still there....what can i do?
Hi Richard  did u resolve the issue ? I had the same problem last week also thanks Paul

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 11:13:52 pm »
bringing this back up..

Got the same issues, really thick poly carpet, reported to smell about 2 days after cleaning..

Would you use 429/microkill as part of your prespray when cleaning these??

thanks

just re-read it , ignore that....