Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee Pryor

New method for hot water
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:48 am »
For a while now I've wanted to come up with a product for the industry.

I am currently working on a new hot water product with all of the upsides of gas and diesel but none of the downsides of either.  (Both have plenty)

This will be an electric on demand heater with no running costs, hotter and faster to heat than diesel, digital temp control, no 20 min timer like gas, frost protection built in and the ability to use hot all day everyday with no running costs and no servicing required.

No it's not an immersion heater. This will be on demand and piping hot, like gas.

I hope to trial this system on my vans by next spring/summer. Just working on the design now. I also hope to deliver this product for considerably less cost than diesel options. 
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

dazmond

Re: New method for hot water
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:29:00 am »
sounds too good to be true.ill believe it when i see it.no hot system has zero running costs BTW.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
Is this to run from a 2nd leisure battery or running van battery?

Hope it works out
👍
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Lee Pryor

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:51:40 am »
I can't reveal anything more at this time. I'm in the design stage, it may not even work

JackieW

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »
'the ability to use hot all day everyday with no running costs and no servicing required. '

Sounds great. Should be able to sell that product  to every home on the planet . Is it solar based?

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:05:44 pm »
Does it run on Bovine Excrement ;D
Spit and polish

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »
Release date i hear is 1st April  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

KS Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:49 pm »
Absolutely no point trying to explain how it's gonna work..... it will just be lost on us anyway :P

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 04:33:56 pm »
I find you need to be at 50 degrees for it to start noticing the difference that needs to be in your mind when testing it.

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:23 pm »
Sounds good but will believe it when it’s up and running and proven to be reliable , if it is I might part exchange my wabasto for one 😂😂😂😂

brianbarber

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:52 pm »
ive Often thought if there's a way of using the heat from the coolant in the vans engine, but I've always then thought that maybe it's keeping the heat consisitant.
 Although in the truck mount carpet machines they have a small 5 litre or so metal box called a hot box that is in fact possibly  a way to go.
 After running the machine I know from experience this water is literally just under boiling point, so maybe could be controlled via a thermostat or something along those lines.
  As these units were mainly air cooled heat was generated rapidly and was a natural by product.
This with some research is a possible way of harnessing the heat from your engine and making use of it, albeit a lot of research needed.
 One of the carpet guys was talking about this last week on here, may of been Mike Halliday.

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

brianbarber

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:57 pm »
The other way, may be like the unit in ashbys ninja, the in line heat exchanger, this gives constant heat which is adjustable right up to 110 degrees.
 As I'm no electrician, and this is a  3 kw unit I don't know if this is possible to power with aux batteries.
 Although if you needed a max of 70 degrees, maybe a 2kw unit could be made to do this.

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

CleanClear

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 06:47:36 pm »
I can't reveal anything more at this time. I'm in the design stage, it may not even work
This will be an electric on demand heater with no running costs
If you get that off the ground then you'll be retiring a lot earlier than you planned.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:54 pm »
I find you need to be at 50 degrees for it to start noticing the difference that needs to be in your mind when testing it.

Do you work on the coast ? do you work in the UK ?  just wondering what your getting on the glass that takes a minimum of 50 degrees to remove.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »

Yes I know. All my vans have gas heaters now. We run at 60 degrees

Lee Pryor

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:34 pm »

Do you work on the coast ? do you work in the UK ?  just wondering what your getting on the glass that takes a minimum of 50 degrees to remove.

He's right. Hot only starts to make a difference above 50 degrees. Below that it's the same as cold.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »
ive Often thought if there's a way of using the heat from the coolant in the vans engine, but I've always then thought that maybe it's keeping the heat consisitant.
 Although in the truck mount carpet machines they have a small 5 litre or so metal box called a hot box that is in fact possibly  a way to go.
 After running the machine I know from experience this water is literally just under boiling point, so maybe could be controlled via a thermostat or something along those lines.
  As these units were mainly air cooled heat was generated rapidly and was a natural by product.
This with some research is a possible way of harnessing the heat from your engine and making use of it, albeit a lot of research needed.
 One of the carpet guys was talking about this last week on here, may of been Mike Halliday.

Mr B

you d have to keep your van engine running all the time
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:26 pm »

Mr B

you d have to keep your van engine running all the time

It wouldn't matter, we are talking about hot on demand and that's whole different ball game to heating a tank, think about
a household electric shower.

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:45:06 pm »

Mr B

The problem is with modern diesel engines is that they are very efficient and don't produce much heat. Our engines don't get up to operating temperature in the winter mornings due to the short distances we travel.
There are numerous diesel vehicles out there that have to use additional diesel heaters to keep the cabin warm as the engines don't generate enough heat to do the job.

I find that the engine looses its heat anyway being parked up, so you may as well put that heat to some use. How good it would be is questionable. Here's a fellow who tried to sell these kits years ago. He would need a pump to circulate the water from the engine, through the heat exchanger and back to the block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUBTk3Lj-vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3VAR4iiBuU&t=3s

His demonstrator car is an old 1.6 diesel Golf so his sytem is based on rather old diesel technology. I would doubt there are many window cleaner running vehicles pre common rail technology. In the kit he shows an auxillary pump. On the video on the beach he shows a small pump in the water tank at the back, but that's not it. This point isn't very clear. What ever the case is, in a window cleaning application we would need a 12v circulation pump as we couldn't leave the engine running. (Your internal heater matrix is a water to air heat exchanger. If you switch the engine off but leave the circulation fan running, it doesn't take long before the air coming out gets cold.) Its against the law to leave a vehicle idling unattended in the street.

The water circulating through the engine will be treated with antifreeze so there wouldn't be a problem there. However, the water in the second circuit of the heat exchanger will be pure water. Any water in there will freeze and damage the heat exchanger. Even with antifreeze, our washer bottle always seems to freeze at some point during winter.  Even if the heat exchanger was drained down, the passages in the heat exchanger are very small and I doubt you will get every drop of water out. That would be a big negative for me.

Its relatively simple to fit - just fit it the same way he did it with his Golf and the shower. The only thing you would need to be aware of is which way the coolant water flows through the heat exchanger when driven by the engines water pump. You then need to mount the auxillary pump so when it works it pumps the water in the same direction.

P @ F

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:02:37 pm »

Yes I know. All my vans have gas heaters now. We run at 60 degrees

Lee , what gas heaters do you use ?
And i think that the above 50 c bit is a bit wrong , any increase is going to clean dare i say "better" than ambient temp .
If you go out with stupid hot water on a proper cold day you are looking at thermal shock territory .
I use the L5 and it gives me about 35/40 at the brush head , that it more than ample for my needs , i see an improvement on using cold and its more of a comfort and hose managability issue for me anyway . 

windowswashed

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
Tried calorifier tank with a built in immersion heater running off engine radiator. Very good for recycling around the wfp tank - managed to get the heat up to 100 degrees or use direct with a thermostat set on 50 degrees. Very good but has it's negatives as well as it's potential.

Tried gas heater.  Bit scary if the water stops flowing accidentally.

Tried diesel heater. - Straight forward with a separate diesel tank and ran it on red diesel for cheaper running costs.

Solar heat would drain batteries too quick to be practical though possible if working in Spain.

JandS

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:35 pm »
The inline heaters for carpet cleaning machines would not be able to supply the amount of constant hot water required for window cleaning.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:56 pm »
The inline heaters for carpet cleaning machines would not be able to supply the amount of constant hot water required for window cleaning.

Thats the problem , we just need the water too quick , combustion seems to be the only way until Lee pulls his finger out  ;D
Its not like he aint got the money for R+D is it  ;D ;D ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 12:25:02 am »
I'm in the design stage, it may not even work
I'll have two then.

Anyway, I work with 60 degrees every day, with no heating costs, with my broken thermometer system.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 10:45:08 am »
100 degrees you’ll be in floppy tank territory lol,they are only plastic.

V_Purcell

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 02:34:01 pm »
For a while now I've wanted to come up with a product for the industry.

I am currently working on a new hot water product with all of the upsides of gas and diesel but none of the downsides of either.  (Both have plenty)

This will be an electric on demand heater with no running costs, hotter and faster to heat than diesel, digital temp control, no 20 min timer like gas, frost protection built in and the ability to use hot all day everyday with no running costs and no servicing required.

No it's not an immersion heater. This will be on demand and piping hot, like gas.

I hope to trial this system on my vans by next spring/summer. Just working on the design now. I also hope to deliver this product for considerably less cost than diesel options.
Lee I used to manufacture carpet cleaning machines, I used to make an inline heat exchanger, and have a few ideas along these lines, without using gas, diesel or electric.

Dry Clean

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »
You hot users are so gullible, no surprise there, Lees on a wind up read his original post again, slowly if it helps. lol.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »
You hot users are so gullible, no surprise there, Lees on a wind up read his original post again, slowly if it helps. lol.

Err no I'm not.

I am working with a friend to develop this system. We are in the design stage right now. I hope to have the first prototype in one of my vans by the spring.  If the technology works then we develop further into a product others can by and fit themselves or we will offer fitting here at our base.

windowswashed

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 06:37:22 pm »
100 degrees you’ll be in floppy tank territory lol,they are only plastic.

:) not when mixed with cold water  :)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:13 pm »
In carpet cleaning  the big con with the heat issue is measuring the temp at the machine not at the end of the tool, it can measure 100degrees at the point of heating but by the time it slowly passes through the solution line ( often laid on a cold floor or even worse across snowy ground).

I would guess this situation is Even worse for window cleaners as the solution line is much longer  and the flow rate is slower. You need the water to be boiling at the van for it too be still hot as it hits the window.

Unless you move the water heater closer to the tool so the hot water only has to travel the last 20-30ft. You could use a much smaller heat source if you didn’t have to compensate for the heat loss of mounting the heater so far away from the window.

If you want to develop the next big thing  in water-fed pole technology look towards a lightweight trolley based water heater that can be easily moved from house to house.

******** unless this is already available ********* 🙂🙂🙂
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Lee Pryor

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »
Hi Mike. It's not a problem. I have a lot of experience with hot. If we set the boiler in the van to 60 degrees not matter how far away the pole it will still burn your hand. Tried and tested so no issue there.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »
I bet I have more experience  ;D ;D

This is an example of hot at high flow rate @ 150ft....

Is this how your WFP looks like?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwirghtTGE

Lee Pryor

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »

Ok ok I've just imagined the years of hot water in our 11 vans.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 07:49:28 pm »
Also I'm talking about window cleaning not carpet cleaning, 2 totally different things. Had hot in my vans for 10 years

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
I was only messing with you, I didn’t mean to call your Experience  into question 8)

But hot water is hot water the way it’s heated and transported is a constant no matter how it’s used as an end product

CleanClear

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 09:01:32 pm »

How many years you had 11 vans Lee ?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 09:22:06 pm »

How many years you had 11 vans Lee ?

Long enough. My point is I have 10 years experience with hot Wfp systems, therefor I know what temp ect is required for designing a new system.

dd

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
I hope you are successful with your idea Lee, but until you can say something more concrete or definite, I really do not see the point of posting the topic.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 10:03:02 pm »
I hope you are successful with your idea Lee, but until you can say something more concrete or definite, I really do not see the point of posting the topic.

I'm sorry you don't see the point. Lots of threads and talk of hot systems as always at this time of year. It seemed fitting to mention it.

CleanClear

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »
I see where this is going.... Log burner ?  ;D

G & M

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 10:24:34 pm »
Good luck with it Lee. I hope  you are successful with your design. I haven't used hot for quite a while and would go back to it if there was an affordable system that could be van mounted. I don't want gas bottles in my vans for insurance reasons.

Spruce

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:24 am »
I see where this is going.... Log burner ?  ;D

;D

It could also be based on a flux capacitor.

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Flux_capacitor

These flux capacitors have improved since the days of Emmett Brown. I see there is a flux capacitor 12v usb charger listed on Amazon

for under £20 including delivery so that proves all is possible. Lets hope that one of Lees vans doesn't get lost back in 1885.  :)

V_Purcell

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »

He probably had old hoses, Goodyear steel braided 3000 psi, would not do that, unless they were old and had fractures in the hose, heat would find these weakness in  old hoses. As when hoses are new a sample is taken and they are burst tested to 6000 psi WP.

Marc Stock

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »

Err no I'm not.

I am working with a friend to develop this system. We are in the design stage right now. I hope to have the first prototype in one of my vans by the spring.  If the technology works then we develop further into a product others can by and fit themselves or we will offer fitting here at our base.

Hi Lee we have an engineering firm if you want us to make any parts for you. Full cnc milling  and turning.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 05:59:15 pm »

He probably had old hoses, Goodyear steel braided 3000 psi, would not do that, unless they were old and had fractures in the hose, heat would find these weakness in  old hoses. As when hoses are new a sample is taken and they are burst tested to 6000 psi WP.

Vern, This was twin wire pressure washer hose rated at 330bar, it’s hard to see but it was not the hose that failed it was the fitting. Although the video link  was an example of water heated by a diesel hotbox, (the failed fitting was just a bonus and an interesting warning about the the danger of using very hot water)

V_Purcell

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 07:30:16 pm »

Vern, This was twin wire pressure washer hose rated at 330bar, it’s hard to see but it was not the hose that failed it was the fitting. Although the video link  was an example of water heated by a diesel hotbox, (the failed fitting was just a bonus and an interesting warning about the the danger of using very hot water)
So it was neglect that was the cause of the incident. This can happen to any tool that is not maintained correctly.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 08:37:03 pm »
 ::)roll ::)roll wrong again.

Stop jumping to conclusions, based on information gained from 1 second of video

The failure of the end was due to the hydraulic engineeer incorrectly fitting the Farrel causing the insert to blow out.

P @ F

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 08:57:28 pm »
Hey , Its all very well talking about hoses chaps , but i want to know about this wonderous invention , my next van looks like its going to run on steam for nothing , 8.21 Jiggawatts and all that  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:14 pm »

Lee Pryor

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:19 pm »
Lee Pryor on the right  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVQri3aLfg

Very good. Funny thing is this is my favourite film! It was also voted the best film of the 80s. I love the fact that not only is it a great sci fy movie with an incredible cast it also has many messages about the choice you make in life and having the balls to be more than you are............. if you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything!

Slacky

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »

Very good. Funny thing is this is my favourite film! It was also voted the best film of the 80s. I love the fact that not only is it a great sci fy movie with an incredible cast it also has many messages about the choice you make in life and having the balls to be more than you are............. if you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything!

Can you give us an example?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:49 pm »

Of what?

Come on then Matt, be insulting again. Nice bit of hate from you is what we all need isn't it. Just there to bring people down with your negative energy. Come on then...... what is it this time you want to pick on.

You know Matt I haven't forgotten a time you were extremely and personally rude to me on here a few years ago regarding a dead family member of mine. You really should watch sh t like that. You might just pee off the wrong person one day, who then might decide to arrive unannounced at your doorstep one evening to discuss things face to face. That person might want to see if your as cocky in person as you are hiding behind a computer with that false sense of security it brings. Just a thought.

Now do tell me what it is you want an example of? Hmmmm

Mod note: Whatever provocation you feel, please do not issue warnings which might be misconstrued as threats on this forum. I note that Matt/Slacky has apologised further down this thread and so I hope that this will draw a line under the matter.

P @ F

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:32 pm »
Im not being negative , i love a bit of boundry pushing , be it new ideas or humour  ;D

Slacky

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »

Of what?

Come on then Matt, be insulting again. Nice bit of hate from you is what we all need isn't it. Just there to bring people down with your negative energy. Come on then...... what is it this time you want to pick on.

You know Matt I haven't forgotten a time you were extremely and personally rude to me on here a few years ago regarding a dead family member of mine. You really should watch sh t like that. You might just pee off the wrong person one day, who then might decide to arrive unannounced at your doorstep one evening to discuss things face to face. That person might want to see if your as cocky in person as you are hiding behind a computer with that false sense of security it brings. Just a thought.

Now do tell me what it is you want an example of? Hmmmm

When have I ever spouted hate at you on here? I think the last time I criticised you openly on here was when you announced your radio advertising campaign as being a defunct idea, which you recently acknowledged was true.

CIU is a place of fun, ridicule, light hearted banter and occasionally overly serious egos who have a point to prove but cant tolerate the other aspects to which I've already referred.

You like to blow your own trumpet so set yourself up to ridicule, don't blame the rest of us if we don't play to your tune, we're all already well past the point of massaging your ego.

We all know what you meant in your post to which I responded, you massaged your own ego, I was just giving you a helping hand.

Slacky

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:02 pm »

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Perhaps you'd like to remind me.

alanwilson

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:10 pm »
Now now ladies, put the handbags down.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Slacky

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »
Yes, Ive had a look back through some historical posts and believe Ive found the offending post regarding your Dad, Lee.

I apologise, I shouldn't have said what I said. It was wrong and pretty pathetic. Sorry.

Matt.

V_Purcell

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:29 am »
::)roll ::)roll wrong again.

Stop jumping to conclusions, based on information gained from 1 second of video

The failure of the end was due to the hydraulic engineeer incorrectly fitting the Farrel causing the insert to blow out.
What repairs did the engineers do?

koopmaster

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2017, 02:31:45 pm »
who needs a machine... IM SUPERMAN... gonna use my LASER VISION to heat the water...

BZZZZZZZZZZ... hot water...

JandS

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2017, 09:52:52 pm »
Hear from the exhaust system?
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.