Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marc Stock

A good hard look in the mirror
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:15 pm »
Since I was unwell a couple of weeks back, I have been doing some serious reflection on where my business is going and where I want it to be. Being 100% honest with myself I think I have got a bit lazy with the focus of the business. Over the last week back to work I have been so productive I surprised myself and cleared double what I normally do by simply working faster and not dwelling on how much I find the job a bore, just getting on with it to catch up.

Over the last few years especially I have found it very hard to get past this boredom stage, get up go out earn money and come home and repeat. Gone are the days where I was happy to window clean, and recently I dreaded going out some days. In fact I hated it so much I took Wednesdays off to break up the week.

Having been laid up in bed for a week, the 2nd day I started to miss actually going out and working by Friday not only was I feeling the financial impact of being off work, but the realisation of my business solely relies on me, and I want to change that.

Lee Pryor has taken his window cleaning business and turned it from being something he has to maintain and do, to a business that in effect runs itself and he can start to enjoy the rewards from that.

You know I want the same as Lee. To be able to sit in my PJ’s (if need be) whilst the business is paying for me and my family. That’s what I want; but I need to work and get off my backside, stop feeling sorry for myself and go and grow the business in a way that works.

Problem is if I’m being honest I’m….Scared. I’m scared of being more successful than I need to be.

I need to get over that fear; I know what I need to do

dazmond

Re: A good hard look in the mirror
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
I reckon you couldn't handle the stress of building more than a one man business Marc and you'd end up having a nervous breakdown.i know I don't handle stress very well(being a former alcoholic).

What other things do u do apart from windows cleaning? (as in hobbies, Interests?)
I'm off to the gym now. I'll be back later.....
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Set yourself or your loved ones rewards based on performance. Small gifts. Meals out. Days out. Weekends away. Regularly.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:08 pm »
Mark - it can be done - i had days like you but fortunately i took on a lad - it worked then took on another  i found expanding services a real plus - i left the lads to clean windows while moving into pressure washing - we now offer a full range of external cleaning

BUT don't think having loads of staff and work means an easy life, yes i now rarely clean windows ( neither does Lee i believe ) however keeping all the balls in the air can mean long hours and usually anti social ones to keep on track but it does keep the old brain box ticking away !

i fully recommend expanding if only to avoid the every day regular cleans and hopefully i will get a income when i retire !!

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

CleanClear

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:07 pm »

Sorry if i got this wrong, but do i recollect you saying you had been previously succesful and somehow it went wrong ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Missing Link

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:53 pm »

There's loads of stuff I don't feel like doing, but I do them anyway.

My point is that you don't need to get over any feelings (like fear), you just need to do what you want to do.

I don't like running much,  but as long as I put on my running shoes and run, my feelings don't matter.

I'm of the 'bring the body and the mind will follow' school of thought.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Marc Stock

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:38:59 pm »

Sorry if i got this wrong, but do i recollect you saying you had been previously succesful and somehow it went wrong ?

Yes it did epicly....

CleanClear

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:31 pm »

Yes it did epicly....
Well as you say Marc, and i agree you know what you need to do. You're also better placed than many bacause you have been there before and you can't beat experience even if its negative, its still better than no experience. It maybe your previous failure holds you back when it probably shouldn't.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:54:50 pm »
Each year at this time of the year I set the goals and plan for the following year. My plans usually kick in in April and finish in September.

I suggest you set realistic yearly goals rather than picturing the jump from single operator to a fleet that runs itself. Of course it's possible as I have done just that although we still have 1 more year to achieve the level I set out nearly 2 years ago. (70k a month) the plan for that is in place to start in April. I know when and how many I will employ, marketing campaigns and spend, new customer targets ect.

Be very prepared for unimaginable levels of stress along the way.

It's not all fun and games at my level either. It is indeed a constant juggling act. However it's true that I can walk away for probably a maximum of 2 weeks without a single negative effect in the business or the money.

In the end the only thing that's actually required is to take action and actually get on with making it happen. It's that that separates me from others, I have the ability to be comfortable with breaking a comfort zone routine and be uncomfortable to get the job done. Most people will talk the talk and then do nothing about it because they are comfortable in their routines. The I will do it tomorrow or next week attitude. It's a tomorrow that never comes and then another year passes and nothing has changed, in the mean time I will have 2 more vans on the road.

The fact is you can do it. The only thing stopping you or anyone else is your own mind.

How bad do you want it? I obsess over my goals and absolutely nothing will stop me reaching them. I don't believe this is healthy behaviour but I can't help the way I am.

And breathe haha.

P.S- dry clean, I'm not interested in any opinion you have on me or my business before you pick apart anything I've said. Seems you can't say a nice thing about anyone.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
i like the familiarity of my regular round,the customers(most of em!),the banter,the stunning views(on some of my rural work)the cups of tea and coffee(and biccies occasionally!).id hate to have anybody working with me these days.i much prefer working on my own.its so easy and stress free.start when you want,finish when you want.bliss. 8)

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:23 pm »
Each year at this time of the year I set the goals and plan for the following year. My plans usually kick in in April and finish in September.

I suggest you set realistic yearly goals rather than picturing the jump from single operator to a fleet that runs itself. Of course it's possible as I have done just that although we still have 1 more year to achieve the level I set out nearly 2 years ago. (70k a month) the plan for that is in place to start in April. I know when and how many I will employ, marketing campaigns and spend, new customer targets ect.

It's not all fun and games at my level either. It is indeed a constant juggling act. However it's true that I can walk away for probably a maximum of 2 weeks without a single negative effect in the business or the money.

In the end the only thing that's actually required is to take action and actually get on with making it happen. It's that that separates me from others, I have the ability to be comfortable with breaking a comfort zone routine and be uncomfortable to get the job done. Most people will talk the talk and then do nothing about it because they are comfortable in their routines. The I will do it tomorrow or next week attitude. It's a tomorrow that never comes and then another year passes and nothing has changed, in the mean time I will have 2 more vans on the road.

The fact is you can do it. The only thing stopping you or anyone else is your own mind.

How bad do you want it? I obsess over my goals and absolutely nothing will stop me reaching them. I don't believe this is healthy behaviour but I can't help the way I am.

And breathe haha.

P.S- dry clean, I'm not interested in any opinion you have on me or my business before you pick apart anything I've said. Seems you can't say a nice thing about anyone.

personally i think marc wouldnt be able to handle the stress and it would have a heavy toll on his mental health.

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:08 pm »

And breathe haha.

I hope you're feeling a lot better now chum.
We look at them, they look through them.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:15:49 pm »
Yes thanks just a week of the flu, now my office manager is off with it and 2 of our cleaners. Luckily we have natures proven business model working for us- safety in numbers. Office is still covered and the other cleaners get bigger worksheets to prop up the turnover. My point last week which seemed to be lost on most people on here was, a cold or flu with a week off is one thing, but what about a major illness or injury that comes out of the blue and puts someone out for months? I think a lot on here would be suprised how customers loyalty only stretches so far if no one is turning up for months.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 10:38:03 pm »
Yes thanks just a week of the flu, now my office manager is off with it and 2 of our cleaners. Luckily we have natures proven business model working for us- safety in numbers. Office is still covered and the other cleaners get bigger worksheets to prop up the turnover. My point last week which seemed to be lost on most people on here was, a cold or flu with a week off is one thing, but what about a major illness or injury that comes out of the blue and puts someone out for months? I think a lot on here would be suprised how customers loyalty only stretches so far if no one is turning up for months.

whats the point in worrying about something that might never happen?if your dying of cancer i dont think you d be able to run your business either! ;D

a broken leg or arm would heal within a couple of months so no problems.i doubt id lose any work and id be ok financially.

Marc Stock

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:38 pm »
Some good advice guys.

Think CleanClear has hit the nail on the head. Im scared of being successful and losing it again due to a bad decision somewhere along the line.

I gotta push through that and refocus. Apply what i learned and make a change to my thought process.

Small goals is what i need.  I work 4  days a week, on a 4 week month. I average around £300-350 per day turnover when i am working, all my work is well priced i have no jobs below £20 and i know i could easily pay someone £16 per hour. Im thinking ill start with 1 van and a part time employee and go from there perhaps?

I need to do something about it soon the thought of doing this job for another 14 years like i am right now makes me shudder.

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:41 pm »
My point last week which seemed to be lost on most people on here was, a cold or flu with a week off is one thing, but what about a major illness or injury that comes out of the blue and puts someone out for months? I think a lot on here would be suprised how customers loyalty only stretches so far if no one is turning up for months.

Wasn't lost on me Lee. Above and beyond the "i don't need the money"...... i say that lightly, we all need money. There is a suprising network of cleaners that has come about that happens even now, other cleaners clean other cleaners work for them , even their direct competition. Sounds crazy doesn't it,  but thats true and happens now. Small bands of single operators supporting each other who are in the same boat.

Slacky

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 11:47:30 pm »
My point last week which seemed to be lost on most people on here was, a cold or flu with a week off is one thing, but what about a major illness or injury that comes out of the blue and puts someone out for months? I think a lot on here would be suprised how customers loyalty only stretches so far if no one is turning up for months.

Wasn't lost on me Lee. Above and beyond the "i don't need the money"...... i say that lightly, we all need money. There is a suprising network of cleaners that has come about that happens even now, other cleaners clean other cleaners work for them , even their direct competition. Sounds crazy doesn't it,  but thats true and happens now. Small bands of single operators supporting each other who are in the same boat.

I don’t think your point was lost on anyone last week. Most of the fellas on here prefer to be ‘workers’, when one of the ‘hob-nobs’ pops their head up they get what’s being dished out at the time.

Maybe you’ve lost sight of that being how it works, being all Fools and Horses like.

All the best, Rodney.

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:52 pm »
The thing that motivates me to want to grow a business is the feeling of not living up to my full potential.

I would hate to get to retirement and having just worked all my life and not got anything the show for it. Or look back on my life and think I could have done this or that.

Also the message it send to my kids and people around me. I want my kids to believe they can do anything and set an example that when you set your mind to something you can achieve it. Of you want something go get it, not rely on a job or rest in your laurels etc.

I can't understand the mentality of having a full round and then just cleaning it for years and years over and over.. that sounds so boring, why would you not want more from life? I don't get it, but maybe that's what separates some of us from others, everyone is different.

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 12:02:29 am »

And breathe haha.

I couldn't care less what your interested in if I think your talking crap I will say so just as I would with anybody else, that said
I'm not sure what Iv said lately to ruffle your feathers.

Marc Stock

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:31:50 am »
The thing that motivates me to want to grow a business is the feeling of not living up to my full potential.

I would hate to get to retirement and having just worked all my life and not got anything the show for it. Or look back on my life and think I could have done this or that.

Also the message it send to my kids and people around me. I want my kids to believe they can do anything and set an example that when you set your mind to something you can achieve it. Of you want something go get it, not rely on a job or rest in your laurels etc.

I can't understand the mentality of having a full round and then just cleaning it for years and years over and over.. that sounds so boring, why would you not want more from life? I don't get it, but maybe that's what separates some of us from others, everyone is different.

Exactly this Adam. I think many are at that stage, including me and it seems like an epic leap forward to cross over from being the worker to managing a team of workers.

Its a daunting thought.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:36 am »
Personally, I have absolutely no desire to employ or grow my business. I have worked at getting a very good income for minimal hours with no stress or hassle- for me, a lovely position to be in. I have been in the rat-race before and hated that life! ;)
Comfortably Numb!

Marc Stock

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:25 am »
Personally, I have absolutely no desire to employ or grow my business. I have worked at getting a very good income for minimal hours with no stress or hassle- for me, a lovely position to be in. I have been in the rat-race before and hated that life! ;)

Thats Great  Peavey. At the end of the its what works for you.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:29 am »

more from life?like what?im in good health,earn a good living(without working 60 hour weeks),low stress.ive got my band and enjoy playing drums,gigging etc,working out in the gym 3 times a week,enjoy my holidays abroad.ive got my missus and 2 dogs,family,friends etc.a golf GTI and brand new van with a(soon to be!)hot water diesel heater.

what more could i possibly want in life............ ;D

Dry Clean

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:18 am »

more from life?like what?im in good health,earn a good living(without working 60 hour weeks),low stress.ive got my band and enjoy playing drums,gigging etc,working out in the gym 3 times a week,enjoy my holidays abroad.ive got my missus and 2 dogs,family,friends etc.a golf GTI and brand new van with a(soon to be!)hot water diesel heater.

An Ionics PPB system. lol.

Marc Stock

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 10:02:30 am »

Everyone i have ever known who has been or is a golf gti owner is content with life.
 ;D

Me i was  205 GTI owner... perhaps thats where it went wrong ....lol

;D

NWH

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:01 am »
Of course it can be done but you need to be someone who thrives on stress in the nicest possible way,it’s harder work than having a couple work with-for you. I’ve had 2 work for me before and it was stress personified absense wife’s got problems got to take kids to doctors or school today the list goes on,there are a lot of successful people out there like Lee but if he’s honest he’ll tell you it’s a long road to get there by that I mean years. If you think it takes a long time getting a good route of work for 2-3 that level is a different ball game altogether,along with that it takes a fair bit of investment which on its own is stressful.

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
i think this happens every year to some sole trader window cleaners with the onset of winter/dark nights etc.depression creeps in for some of us,motivation is lacking and thoughts turn to doing nothing while still earning the money so the dreams of running a fleet of vans while sat in a cosy warm office fill the mind.the reality is very different.

people like lee pryor have had to make a lot of sacrifices,work unimaginable long hours to the point of obsession,they get a perverse pleasure out of stress(it drives them even harder!) ;D.with the pursuit of wealth their end goal.the thing is ambition can be like drinking salt water,it can make you even thirstier and you miss the every day living stuff because their work has totally consumed them.saying that he might be able to semi retire in 10 years time. ;D

personally i think sole trader window cleaners have never had it so good.it was much harder years ago when on ladders,no WFP,no electronic payments,no round software and colder winters.lots of collecting on cold dark nights(i used to do around 4 hours a week collecting! ::)roll)and the obvious dangers of climbing ladders 100 times a day in cold/wet conditions.

nathankaye

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
i think this happens every year to some sole trader window cleaners with the onset of winter/dark nights etc.depression creeps in for some of us,motivation is lacking and thoughts turn to doing nothing while still earning the money so the dreams of running a fleet of vans while sat in a cosy warm office fill the mind.the reality is very different.

people like lee pryor have had to make a lot of sacrifices,work unimaginable long hours to the point of obsession,they get a perverse pleasure out of stress(it drives them even harder!) ;D.with the pursuit of wealth their end goal.the thing is ambition can be like drinking salt water,it can make you even thirstier and you miss the every day living stuff because their work has totally consumed them.saying that he might be able to semi retire in 10 years time. ;D

personally i think sole trader window cleaners have never had it so good.it was much harder years ago when on ladders,no WFP,no electronic payments,no round software and colder winters.lots of collecting on cold dark nights(i used to do around 4 hours a week collecting! ::)roll)and the obvious dangers of climbing ladders 100 times a day in cold/wet conditions.

Absolutely agree with this. I dont think what Lee and some others have been able to achieve is achievable for most people. You need to have a certain drive and mind set to keep pushing forward and not everyone is cut out for that (and yes plenty dont want to as well).
But for established one man bands its never been easier. For me I had parts of my round which I hated to do and even considered selling parts. But now using wfp, does jobs have become just as easy as my normal work. I have the comfort of hot water all year round (and yes it cleans better but lets not get into debating that) and new customers signing upto Gocardless. Existing customers still use PayPal or BACS   and I have sumUp to take card payments so theres no excuse of having no money in the house.  So what used to be a hard tedious job has become so easy its a plesure to work.
However thats for established shiners.
I do think its a different story for newbies. They have all the ease of new technology etc as mentioned above. Their challenge is getting established and building their rounds up.   Even for established shiners its not easy to pick up the extra 100's of new customers in a short period of time to even begin to think of getting extra vans and workers
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Lee Pryor

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 12:20:50 pm »

Now this is a great post. All very true.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »
I am making the next 12 months the last for a while at this pace. In less than 2 Years we have more than doubled what previously took me 11 years to grow. I don't think I can keep going at this level for much longer. So regardless of where we reach in the next 12 months that will be it for pushing forward for at least a few years. Then I might get the bug again and open the second depot and office

Stoots

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:13 pm »
I am making the next 12 months the last for a while at this pace. In less then  Years we have more than doubled what previously took me 11 years to grow. I don't think I can keep going at this level for much longer. So regardless of where we reach in the next 12 months that will be it for pushing forward for at least a few years. Then I might get the bug again and open the second depot and office

I think this post highlights a good point.

That most of us - 99% of the population have a comfort zone that once it's achieved the stresses of earning more become not worth it.

For some it's on the dole, what's not to like all day to walk, meditate and enjoy the simple things.

For some it's a sole trader, other couple of lads and for other like yourself 10 vans (or however many you have)

But whilst most of us have different levels of ambition there are a very, very rare few that ever make ridiculous wealth from business, only the freaks of nature will ever be billionaires and dedicate their entire lives to work 24/7.

Even for guys like lee who we view as super successfull in our industry, hes really just a stain in pants of real wealth.

My only point is that there's not really much difference between taking home 100k a year and 30k a year, not really..you can't buy a jet or an island you only live in a bigger house and drive a Jag rather than a terraced a have a fiesta.

Don't know is what I'm waffling about but I'm sure theres a good point in there somewhere, there usually is.

Dry Clean

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 02:07:31 pm »
The sky's the limit Adam, yes in window cleaning you'll probably hit a saturation point but that wont stop you investing your
profits in other things, property millionaires are one example, many done it while working in factory's and so on without very much
spare cash.

Marc Stock

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »
I dont necessarily think its anything to do with wanting  lots of money in my case..

I think its more about making sure the business is 'sure footed' and i think what i mean by that is IMO the more people involved with making the business work the more sure footed it becomes.

At the moment, yes my business is sure footed....as long as i go out and do the work and thats the weak spot...it depends on one person...me.... and im tired of it 14 years plus now.

With enough business to employ it takes that pressure off. Even if i earned less after employing with 2 vans and a guy i still feel that the business is then becoming rooted.

Not sure if that makes sense...

Dry Clean

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:42 pm »
Yes being responsible for the livelihoods of others would be a good incentive for getting out in the mornings, I found it
exciting building a window cleaning round it was like every new customer added to the books was another personal achievement,
a buzz, I think many miss that feeling/buzz of building something when the get to where they want to be,

TomCrowther

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 02:30:47 pm »
I have a 64  plate combo coming up for sale soon. 77000 miles if you need a van?

Marc Stock

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »
Yes being responsible for the livelihoods of others would be a good incentive for getting out in the mornings, I found it
exciting building a window cleaning round it was like every new customer added to the books was another personal achievement,
a buzz, I think many miss that feeling/buzz of building something when the get to where they want to be,
Exactly yes i think thats another nail on the head.

Marc Stock

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 04:50:31 pm »
I have a 64  plate combo coming up for sale soon. 77000 miles if you need a van?

Thanks Tom but im only interested in ford trasnsit connects.

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »

i dont sean.for me you cant beat being able to pick and choose what work you take on because you have enough work/money for your particular lifestyle .im comfortable but i dont stand still.there is always some refining going on(taking the odd new job on and losing/dumping jobs for whatever reason).it never ends.

Stoots

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »

I genuinely admire your positivity and how you can be gratefull for what you have got.
Im never satisifed, if i get a new car im bored of it within months, if im doing something i want to be doing something else, its my brains fault.

Stoots

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 06:07:49 pm »

Exactly, i struggled for a few years to build a full round, it was stressfull and hard work, now i have a full round i could be gratefull and tick along as i am. But what do you replace that void with that kept you up at night? feels like something is missing with no stress or pressures.

Stoots

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:06 pm »
I dont necessarily think its anything to do with wanting  lots of money in my case..

I think its more about making sure the business is 'sure footed' and i think what i mean by that is IMO the more people involved with making the business work the more sure footed it becomes.

At the moment, yes my business is sure footed....as long as i go out and do the work and thats the weak spot...it depends on one person...me.... and im tired of it 14 years plus now.

With enough business to employ it takes that pressure off. Even if i earned less after employing with 2 vans and a guy i still feel that the business is then becoming rooted.

Money is not a massive motivator to me, freedom is. Theres two ways to freedom, first one is having no job, no money and just living a very simple basics life away from society, a nomad.

The other is being part of society and all it has to offer and aquiring enough wealth where you can buy your freedom.

Like i said earlier, very few are really free, think billionaire money when you have so much you cant spend it all, where you can hop on your private jet and take  a years holiday where ever you want whenever you want and the cheques keep rolling in ands you have the businesses, investments and infrastructure to support this lavish lifestyle.

For the rest of us, we will probably fall somewhere in between, we will never be totally free as we dont have the drive and ambition to do what is nesacerry to be so.

So we have sole traders who have a false sense of freedom because they work 3 days a week (they still work and have to work)
Or we have those who run a small business, 3-5 guys maybe, they probably only work 2 days a week and have a bit more financial freedom, but still have to work.

Guys like Lee are probably approaching the point where they could work a few hours a week and put systems in place to run the business, but they still are not really financially free.

Bottom line is, i dont know actually, just waffling again.

Tom-01

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:54 pm »
As Richard Ashcroft sang in Bittersweet Symphony: You're a slave to the money then you die.

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 06:44:38 pm »

Exactly, i struggled for a few years to build a full round, it was stressfull and hard work, now i have a full round i could be gratefull and tick along as i am. But what do you replace that void with that kept you up at night? feels like something is missing with no stress or pressures.

void?whats that then? ;D

im off to manchester tomorrow night with the lads for a curry and then we re off to the albert hall to see a jazz/funk/fusion band called "thundercat" ;D

go out and live your life and never take ANYTHING FOR GRANTED(whether its friends,family,loved ones,work,etc)

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 06:51:09 pm »

Money is not a massive motivator to me, freedom is. Theres two ways to freedom, first one is having no job, no money and just living a very simple basics life away from society, a nomad.

The other is being part of society and all it has to offer and aquiring enough wealth where you can buy your freedom.

Like i said earlier, very few are really free, think billionaire money when you have so much you cant spend it all, where you can hop on your private jet and take  a years holiday where ever you want whenever you want and the cheques keep rolling in ands you have the businesses, investments and infrastructure to support this lavish lifestyle.

For the rest of us, we will probably fall somewhere in between, we will never be totally free as we dont have the drive and ambition to do what is nesacerry to be so.

So we have sole traders who have a false sense of freedom because they work 3 days a week (they still work and have to work)
Or we have those who run a small business, 3-5 guys maybe, they probably only work 2 days a week and have a bit more financial freedom, but still have to work.

Guys like Lee are probably approaching the point where they could work a few hours a week and put systems in place to run the business, but they still are not really financially free.

i enjoy working.i dont know what your problems are mate?we ve got it good.id hate working for someone else though on min wage thats for sure! ;D

Stoots

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:10 pm »

i enjoy working.i dont know what your problems are mate?we ve got it good.id hate working for someone else though on min wage thats for sure! ;D

I dont know Daz, maybe i just feeling that cleaning windows is not the limit of my ambitions in life.

i suppose we will never agree on this, 2 different viewpoints.

Its quite interesting the different ways 2 people can look at the same thing, one sees blue the other sees red.

I like psychology, maybe i should go do that?

Hmm, let me think...i see window cleaning as a nice little starter business, something thats not too difficult to fathom out, requires hard work, but its a simple business to run. 

Anyway like you said, whatever we all decide to do, it sure beats working in a factory on minimum wage. we do have it good you are right, there just always that nagging thought we could have it even better, but where does that end?

Dry Clean

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:25 pm »

void?whats that then? ;D

im off to manchester tomorrow night with the lads for a curry and then we re off to the albert hall to see a jazz/funk/fusion band called "thundercat" ;D

go out and live your life and never take ANYTHING FOR GRANTED(whether its friends,family,loved ones,work,etc)

Its the excitement of not knowing if you have made the right choice, the excitement of getting your first customers, worrying about money, that first door knock, your first payment, dealing with customers for the first time, learning new skills, achieving your targets and so on. once you have reached the destination this buzz, excitement tends to get replaced by the boring and mundane, he's talking about a work void that now needs filled, not a life void.

dazmond

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:32 pm »
i dont know adam.maybe its my age(im 46 now)but im just so content with my life and work at this present time.

at one time my only ambitions were rock n roll ones (sleep with lots of women and gatecrash every party going drinking and drugging my way through life ;D ;D)which i did for 15 years of my life.there were many highs but in the end lots more lows....trying to fill a void i guess. ;)