This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

swanson

Render wash on windows
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:10:12 pm »
Like the title says.
I do a lot of work for wainhomes  on there New 300  plus housing project  in Cornwall.
On there show home windows is rendering glue that's run down the window and just left to dry.
The site agent wants me to clean the stuff off the window but its rock hard .
Any suggestion on what product I could use to loosen the glue without damaging the windows 
Any suggestions what be appreciated
Thanks

NWH

Re: Render wash on windows
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:16:41 pm »
The only real way I ever find is by using a razor and you need to change the blades regularly or they’ll scratch the glass,I steer well clear of these unless it’s work that’s been done on one of my existing jobs. Haven’t done a builders clean for a few years now don’t want to either you always end up cleaning them up for another WCleaner.

swanson

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:20 pm »
Many thanks
Trouble is I need to soften it first
My scrapper won't touch it
And I'm worried I will scratch the glass

NWH

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:25:59 pm »
Just go over with your applicator first cover both sides of the  strip with a bit of fairy first,soap it up and use the razor you may need to do this a few times on each window.

swanson

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:22 pm »
I will give it ago
But it is rock hard

Matt.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:16:06 pm »
As above I would soap it up with hot water using applicator and use the scraper, I would use the ones that take the razor blade type scrapers.

If still no luck, then try Tar and glue remover from ics they nation wide so may be local to yourself

p1w1

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
Nathan will have that done in 2 mins with his melting concrete hot water and a finger nail  ;D  :P

Joking aside, I would go as above soapy water (hot if you can) a few fresh scraper blades and see how that goes to start with. Personally i would also get a scratched glass waiver or similar signed before hand to cover you.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
Defo a scratch glass waiver another good thing to use is white spirit on a cloth you’ll be surprised what that gets off on its own but it eats through the fairy on your cover,you need to keep applying the fairy every few Windows. Good idea to wear disposable gloves too.

Plankton

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 12:50:44 am »
Has anyone got a waiver, it would be handy to have it on websites in very small print.
I'd try the white spirit or some isopropyl alcohol if you have it lying around.

Jonny 87

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:43:01 am »
Definitely don’t use a scraper unless you get that waiver. Even then it could cause you issues.

I personally would try and acidic chemical like winsol crystal clear 550. Dilute it 50 50 with soap, and see how you go with that. Never letting it dry on, and keep applying.

Whichever method you use remember to charge through the roof!

You will essentially be cleaning each window about 5 or 6 times, so if you charge £15 for regular monthly clean then a clean like this should be about £80! That’s without making any decent money in it, and just covering your time. Also Take the cost of your chemicals  into consideration too.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:14 am »
This sounds like a complete nightmare of a window cleaning job. I'd usually avoid. Is this just the show home or is it likely to be the case with all the new builds ? I'm assuming you want to do it because of ongoing contact / potential work with them ? As Jonny 87 has said , go in high .... It will be a right ball ache. On a side note , I've done builders cleans for an independent builder before who would apply an easy peel adhesive to all glass until all work was finished . If only this could become common practice !  ;)

swanson

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:54 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.
I went down the scraper method with hot soapy water.
And it worked.
But it took me along time,