This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sarah Sarill

I just wish..............
« on: June 15, 2006, 04:02:40 pm »
...........i had read up on Powder Coated Aluminium Windows  >:( ::)

Just finished a 2 day commercial job (a nice little earner) but it invloved a block of windows which had flaky powder coated windows and what a mess !!!

Milky Milky Milky - even when we avoided the frames. 

Posted this just to remind you guys that it is near on impossible with (or without) wfp to avoid the milky runs if you get the frames wet.

We have just re-quoted the next clean without this block and wish I had done some research beforehand.

Sarah

Sarah

spotless2000

Re: I just wish..............
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 04:28:39 pm »
We had to clean some of these the other day (not flaky though).

The milky runs started...... :-[

Once it starts, what do you do? :'(

We washed the frames twice and then rinsed for a lot longer than normal.

Everything turned out OK.

Probably more by luck than judgement! ???

Steve

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:01:30 pm »
Rinsed each one 4 timesand it did get better but ended up blading and wiping the 'old fashioned way'.

Gosh Squeaky's gonna love this  :D

Now we know what to look out for we will avoid quoting for these types of windows in the future. 

Will try to post a pic later tonight but just off out to tea  (high class chick me as we are off to Sainsburys - LOL  ::)

Sarah
Sarah

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 05:53:49 pm »
No comment.... ;) ;D

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 05:54:50 pm »
Ihave these frames on my own house so I do feel qualified to comment. The problem is that they look so much like upvc that you usually won't spot them until its too late.

Regular cleaning helps reduce the problem but it never goes completely.

On my house its worst where the sun shines directly on the back of the house.I presume its caused by surface oxidising so its only going to get worse as the frames get older.

abacus

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:59:44 pm »
HI Sarah

We have had the same windows we had the same problem I found it best with wfp a long rinse seemed to cure it also found that when cleaned monthly it became less of a problem as time went on.
best of luck
regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:40 pm »
No comment.... ;) ;D

Not much to say Squeaks ?????

HI Sarah
We have had the same windows we had the same problem I found it best with wfp a long rinse seemed to cure it also found that when cleaned monthly it became less of a problem as time went on.
best of luck
regards grant

Thanks Grant,That seems to be the case as the more we did them the better they got, however I have just read on the net that once the paint has started to chip the powder continues to corrode and not much can be done.

I agree it wouldnot e so bad if you did them regularly but this was a bi-annual clean so on hindsight we should have kept well away.

All sorted now butI just thought it was worth another mention on the forum to hopefully prevent others getting caught out.
On my house its worst where the sun shines directly on the back of the house.I presume its caused by surface oxidising so its only going to get worse as the frames get older.

Spot on Vince -now I have done my research you are right on both accounts.  Guess what ?  This job had OLD,  PEELING frames and it was 28 deg. 

Should of sat in the garden with a good book, glass of red and some sun block - LOL  ;)

Sarah

Sarah