This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

How low would you be willing to drop your turnover?

I would just continue to grow and charge vat when I reach the threshold no matter what it is.

Scrimble

Re: VAT
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:29 pm »
IMO every business should be vat registered, evens out the playing field, its unfair that my business has to pay vat and other window cleaners do not have to

Stoots

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 01:59:53 pm »
Funny that. Generally, those who are already VAT registered reckon it good, those who aren't don't.

Who'd a thunk it eh

That's it in a nutshell. If any budget changes affect you whether you are employee, sole trader or ltd you won't be happy. If they don't you won't care less.

I'm the same as long as I'm alright I don't care about budget changes generally.

So we are all selfish.

But anyway will find out in a few weeks so until then fingers crossed.

Shrek

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 02:14:19 pm »
No one thought the government would go ahead with the different tax’s for landlords but it went ahead anyway. Now some landlords pay tax on their gross profit (their mortgage is classed as profit ffs  ::)roll )
And some landlords are taxed as normal, it happened and now we’ve  ( us landlords) have  just got to deal with it .

Walter Mitty

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »
The government of the day wanted to do something similar to this some years back. I think they said that businesses over about £8k turnover would be affected. It never happened. I did actually write a lengthy letter to Dawn Primorola (or some name like that) expressing why I felt it was a bad move.  I even got a standard reply after a few months.
I believe that small business would be hit hard because it would have a disproportionate effect.  It could easily cause a quadrupling (or more) of accountancy bills or if someone chooses to do it themselves, mean working longer hours on paperwork.
It would increase costs to the end user, to the sole trader (or other below-VAT threshold business) and it would surely increase the level of fraud.
Of course another issue is that government's have a knack of changing VAT rates on a whim, sometimes with very little notice.
I'm quite knackered enough when I get in from work. Updating ordinary records - no problem. Having to adapt to another system - problem.
I wouldn't be absorbing the cost - it would be 20% increases all round (why the hell should I work for less money? - I'm having a tough time as  it is). So I anticipate losing lots of work. It would also make it difficult to impose a normal price increase for some time to come.
I really hate these snotty-nosed-just-out-of-university pen pushers with a vengeance when they start lording it over the rest of us.
Anyone who disagrees with the proposals ought to write to their MP (and other interested parties) because silence is always taken as passive consent by these transient politicians with over-bloated egos.

p1w1

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:11 pm »
I think if this really was something to happen or really being considered it would be making headlines on news at ten not some article in a poxy newspaper. there all full of it.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 03:57:30 pm »
No one thought the government would go ahead with the different tax’s for landlords but it went ahead anyway. Now some landlords pay tax on their gross profit (their mortgage is classed as profit ffs  ::)roll )
And some landlords are taxed as normal, it happened and now we’ve  ( us landlords) have  just got to deal with it .

Could you clarify, please?
My understanding is that interest on the mortgage no longer qualifies for tax relief. Was that it or were there other changes.
If I got that right, I don't agree with that either. Apart from applying different rules for property rental (compared to all other businesses), it can make me wonder if they may stop or reduce tax relief on interest for other businesses that have outstanding loans.  It could also have the effect of inflating rents as property renters seek to make up the shortfall.

Soupy

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2017, 04:03:53 pm »
I think if this really was something to happen or really being considered it would be making headlines on news at ten not some article in a poxy newspaper. there all full of it.

Is the telegraph a poxy paper?

Anyway, here it is being floated as an idea in the FT a week ago.

https://www.ft.com/content/30a00b9c-bafc-11e7-9bfb-4a9c83ffa852

p1w1

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2017, 04:12:50 pm »

Yep they all are

Soupy

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »

Yep they all are

Fair point. So too though is news at 10. According to Morrisey anyway.

p1w1

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2017, 04:48:08 pm »

Yep they all are

;D
If it happens then it happens nothing you can do about it really except adapt to it. I wont lose any sleep over it. Out of interest would it be better then to become a limited business or does it not make any real difference?

Soupy

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »

Yep they all are

;D
If it happens then it happens nothing you can do about it really except adapt to it. I wont lose any sleep over it. Out of interest would it be better then to become a limited business or does it not make any real difference?

No difference.

Og

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2017, 06:29:31 pm »
Funny that. Generally, those who are already VAT registered reckon it good, those who aren't don't.

Who'd a thunk it eh

That's it in a nutshell. If any budget changes affect you whether you are employee, sole trader or ltd you won't be happy. If they don't you won't care less.

I'm the same as long as I'm alright I don't care about budget changes generally.

So we are all selfish.

You are incorrect. If more people have money, as a result of a budget that has a perceived negative impact on my business, (rise in corporate tax maybe) then them people will be more more likely to be able to afford our services. Innit.

windowswashed

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
If the VAT level came in at a low level and there was no way to slip under the level I would pass the VAT on to every customer and if I lose them I lose them, buggered if I'd absorb the cost and in effect take a pay cut. Government can go and swivel if I'm going to work harder just to break even with how I am now.  I'm getting older and slowing down, no chance am I going to work longer hours with admin,  accountants extra costs, the worry of paying everything on time, etc, stuff that, not worth it.

Stoots

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2017, 06:41:55 pm »

Who'd a thunk it eh

So we are all selfish.

You are incorrect. If more people have money, as a result of a budget that has a perceived negative impact on my business, (rise in corporate tax maybe) then them people will be more more likely to be able to afford our services. Innit.

Eh, no. There will always be plenty of perspective customers out there. I'd rather worry about myself . Window cleaning isn't expensive is it, you either want it or you don't you can get your windows cleaned for a fiver from a bucket Bob of you want. A couple of pence rise on fuel costs wouldnt be quite the breaking point to a customer that a 20% vat bill would be to a sole trader. Good try but feeble attempt at making an argument.

Og

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »
I'm not engaging in an argument, just suggesting that your claim that we are all selfish, perhaps needs a little more thought.

CleanClear

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »
All the go cardless guys might be wishing they'd gone cash   ;D  And it will be fun paying an extra 20% to the taxi driver too.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Shrek

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »
I think it’s time to expand my market stall at the car boots instead  ;)

Dry Clean

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »
IMO every business should be vat registered, evens out the playing field, its unfair that my business has to pay vat and other window cleaners do not have to

I'm sure most if not all of the non VAT paying businesses will gladly swap their businesses with yours, you just need to ask.

Soupy

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2017, 05:16:25 am »

I'm sure most if not all of the non VAT paying businesses will gladly swap their businesses with yours, you just need to ask.

No point now, they'll be paying vat too shortly.

windowswashed

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2017, 06:46:58 am »
All the go cardless guys might be wishing they'd gone cash   ;D  And it will be fun paying an extra 20% to the taxi driver too.

It's taken some time to convert customers to pay bank transfers who previously paid cheques and to pay online if out, they are happy paying this way and quite a few prefer to pay online rather than cash as they don't have it on them, it's simpler for everyone, I prefer it that way. Going around collecting cash use to be a pain in the rear to say the least and I wouldn't want to go backwards in that direction as it's too time consuming.
VAT, .........it's just a back door tax on the single self employed who take all the risks initially starting up, not everyone succeeds. I use to employ but owing to illness I don't anymore. Value my health more than worrying about keeping employees on with all the hassles that go with it. 
I hope they don't bring in VAT on services otherwise Joe Public pays extra for haircuts,  gardening, taxis, purchases in the markets and everything else as self employed lone workers are just trying to make a living and not thinking of building a business  to grow big and make worthwhile, which takes a lot of time, dedication and organisational skills to make it work.  Finding the right employees in some jobs that don't appeal to a lot of people can be frustrating, hence why many window cleaners are self employed  and don't run franchises and expand as it can be so time consuming, stressful. More to life than building an empire if one is not that way inclined.