This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clearview

"Financially Un-viable"
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »
Just got this text from a customer who i've had for 3 years. Its a 4 bedroom detached house on a nice estate & i was doing them every other month for £15. Last clean i put them up to £17. They're both full time teachers...

"Hi, Hope you're well, Just to let you know we will not be continuing with your window cleaning services. The unexpected price increase has made it financially un-viable for us."

Why is it that some people expect window cleaners to never put their prices up? I would suggest that after 3 years you should expect a price rise & £1 per month shouldn't make it "Un-viable".

Stoots

Re: "Financially Un-viable"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »
That's the risk you run. Some of my custys will be coming  up to 3 years now and I'm considering doing my first increase next April. I would hate to lose a long term custy over a quid or two though so I'm not sure if I will risk it.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 06:10:01 pm »
Typical teachers  good salary and pension 13 weeks paid holiday but can't afford a £ 1   .
Spit and polish

Slacky

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I will risk it.

You have an unviable business model in that case.

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »
I doubt anyone would lose 100% of their customers with a price increase..... which is why it isn't really an issue. You'll lose a few and then the cycle starts again, picking up new customers.
Does anyone know of a windy who doesn't get any ( not even 1) new customers anymore?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:49:36 pm »
It's not that she can't afford it- she definitely can afford it. What she really means is that the 2 quid increase now decreases the "value" element of the arrangement. It's a psychological/control affair. It's the "number" rather than the amount that counts in her mindset. You win some you lose some, move on is my advice.
Comfortably Numb!

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 06:54:06 pm »
We heard that  teachers are being put under pressure to renew their contracts which means a downgrade in pay and conditions. The Government wants to make school holidays unpaid, but teachers will still have their usual holiday allowance which they will have to take during school holidays.

According to our informant these new contracts will mean a pay reduction of around £2000 a year each. Schools are also under pressure to reduce staff - another worry if you are a teacher in an at risk catagory.

The prices we get for window cleaning are centered round what a customer believes or perceives is a reasonable price to pay. We had one years ago that set the price he felt was fair at £7.50 which included a conservatory. They were a mature couple, never had children, both had good jobs and the Astra with a personalized plate was replaced every few years. He is a member of the local golf club. When I increased the price to £8.50 he begrudgingly paid it. But son said he wasn't happy. About 5 years later I raised the price to £10.00. That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. He cancelled us.

We gave that street to son in law to work when he joined us cleaning windows 7 years ago. He ask SIL to quote to have them done and he told him it would be £10.00. No he replied, I will not pay more than £7.50. SIL laughed and walked away. Apparently, the last window cleaners ripped him off price wise for years.  ;D

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:56:32 pm »
I put all mine up last January by £2 , actually a handful only went up £1 due to them being new accounts and close to what they should have been anyway , i did not lose one of them , i had 2 grumble a bit but they stayed on in the end , this was the second rise in 12 years (my biggest mess up )
I would not go so far as to do it every year , but from Jan last they will be going up every other year for sure , if they grumble they are gone no questions .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:32 pm »
It's not that she can't afford it- she definitely can afford it. What she really means is that the 2 quid increase now decreases the "value" element of the arrangement. It's a psychological/control affair. It's the "number" rather than the amount that counts on her mindset. You win some you lose some, move on is my advice.

I agree with this.

Whether they can afford it or not is another matter. He could be paying child support to a previous ex. We have a doctor in this situation and she's screwing him for every penny she can get.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Crystal-clear

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »
It's not that she can't afford it- she definitely can afford it. What she really means is that the 2 quid increase now decreases the "value" element of the arrangement. It's a psychological/control affair. It's the "number" rather than the amount that counts on her mindset. You win some you lose some, move on is my advice.
Lol this is so true well said
And mate it's annoying £2.00 bloody hell also spruces story is crazy too
Further advice is this
Before you price rise go out canvassing and pick up 30 new customers with you're new prices . Then go and price rise 30 of your old customer you're unlikely to loose more then 1-3 of the old customers but at least it keeps you relaxed when they come out with  "financially un-viable"

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
Just got this text from a customer who i've had for 3 years. Its a 4 bedroom detached house on a nice estate & i was doing them every other month for £15. Last clean i put them up to £17. They're both full time teachers...

"Hi, Hope you're well, Just to let you know we will not be continuing with your window cleaning services. The unexpected price increase has made it financially un-viable for us."

Why is it that some people expect window cleaners to never put their prices up? I would suggest that after 3 years you should expect a price rise & £1 per month shouldn't make it "Un-viable".

we ve all had this before mate.

luckily its only ever 1 or 2 customers out of hundreds of price rises.dont worry about it.
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:41 pm »
That's the risk you run. Some of my custys will be coming  up to 3 years now and I'm considering doing my first increase next April. I would hate to lose a long term custy over a quid or two though so I'm not sure if I will risk it.

classic mistake.put them up mate.you ll be glad you did as you ll only ever lose 1 or 2 out of hundreds of customers. :)

Clearview

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:11 pm »

The problem is, if you never increase your prices you'll never progress as a business.  I certainly don't want to be making the same money i was making 5 years ago. Some customers don't appreciate that your running a business, not just collecting a few beer tokens for the nearest pub  ::)roll

Clearview

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »

The prices we get for window cleaning are centered round what a customer believes or perceives is a reasonable price to pay.

Thats the truth, you have to set their perceptions high to begin with so they value the work you do. Its all about managing expectation. Ive got a £20 minimum on all new work now, I don't really need the work so i'm not bothered if i quote & don't get it. Ive been picking up loads lately which is encouraging, some people recognise & value quality service.

Clearview

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:23 pm »
Lol this is so true well said
And mate it's annoying £2.00 bloody hell also spruces story is crazy too
Further advise is this
Before you price rise go out canvassing and pick up 30 new customers with you're new prices . Then go and price rise 30 of your old customer you're unlikely to loose more then 1-3 of the old customers but at least it keeps you relaxed when they come out with it no longer being "financially un-viable"

That is really good advice, thanks

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 09:59:52 pm »
I learnt this at the begining of the tax year. I put some prices up, first time in many years and ones moaned because it was a 50% increase or in some a 100% increase, which for one customer meant an extra £2.50!!

I didnt really put old prices up....kinda like a loyalty price! Whereas all new work was very nicely priced, but the gap was too big to ignore and so i took action.   There was no actual loyalty, i lost a handfull because of £2 or £3 pound.....unbelievable!! If i had put their prices up by a £1 each year it would have been tripple what i was putting it up by!!
I only lost about 5 customers in the end out of my entire round, but ive learnt from this so my customers who still have lower prices will be hit with an increase each year so they get used to it.  My other customers will get hit every 2 years.
If i loose any it doesnt matter as im always picking new work up at the new prices i want!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Clearview

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 10:18:59 pm »
I learnt this at the begining of the tax year. I put some prices up, first time in many years and ones moaned because it was a 50% increase or in some a 100% increase, which for one customer meant an extra £2.50!!

I didnt really put old prices up....kinda like a loyalty price! Whereas all new work was very nicely priced, but the gap was too big to ignore and so i took action.   There was no actual loyalty, i lost a handfull because of £2 or £3 pound.....unbelievable!! If i had put their prices up by a £1 each year it would have been tripple what i was putting it up by!!
I only lost about 5 customers in the end out of my entire round, but ive learnt from this so my customers who still have lower prices will be hit with an increase each year so they get used to it.  My other customers will get hit every 2 years.
If i loose any it doesnt matter as im always picking new work up at the new prices i want!

The problem that i have now is that there's such a big discrepancy between old & new work ( Normally £5 - £10 per house). So i have to raise the price of old work, but even if i do that at £1 per year it'll take 5 years to get up to current rates. And in 5 years time today's rates will be out of date.

brianbarber

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »
Had exactly same thing a few weeks ago, went up,£3 from 27 to 30
8'weekly so, yearly increase 6 cleans at 3 , basically I've been sacked for the sake of £18 per year....
  Unreal.
This sacking was also after a long email explaining costs of living situation etc

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:37 pm »
Had exactly same thing a few weeks ago, went up,£3 from 27 to 30
8'weekly so, yearly increase 6 cleans at 3 , basically I've been sacked for the sake of £18 per year....
  Unreal.
This sacking was also after a long email explaining costs of living situation etc

Mr B

i never send a long email explaining a price rise.they either except it or not.i really dont care whether i keep the job or not (literally!).this is the best attitude to have IME.

Slacky

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 11:35:55 pm »
Sod explaining about my living costs. Truth is that's nothing to do with your custards, end of story. If you wish to put your prices up, regardless of reason, the custard either takes it or leaves it.