Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Susan Dean (1stclean)

why are fiat doblo cheap to buy ? are they realy that bad ?
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:42 am »
we were at the van sale last week and the new shape 1.6 16v doblos were silly cheap ! all under four years old . and with less then 70k on the clock and fetching around 2.5-3kish plus the extras cheap as chips , even the trade didn't want to buy them

they were stuck in the middle for ages while they tried to get better money for them why is that ? are they really that bad ? never had any thing to do with them ourselfs but they did look ok , anybody running them ?

could be a van to buy and dump in two years at that kind of price

andyM

Re: why are fiat doblo cheap to buy ? are they realy that bad ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:50:18 am »
I've got a customer that has one, I can't remember if it's on a 13 or 14 plate.
Decent van , looks like a dead cod but has been reliable, I believe he's has around 70k on the clock but he was looking to trade it in and buy something newer.
He was offered somewhere in the region of 2-3k!?
So I think he's stuck deciding at the moment whether to hold on to it and get more use out of it or sell it on at a hefty loss. 

One of the Plebs

Delta

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 07:19:21 am »
The 1.6 105 bhp Maxi is the one to go for. 1000kg payload, 40 -50 mpg and very reliable. To drive they are very nippy, feels light on it's toes and has lots of power. The 105 also comes with a six speed gearbox as standard. Handles very well.

Bad points are radio & speakers are rubbish and seats are a bit non supportive but don't give me back ache. Only has two front seats.

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:35:05 am »
I think mainly because they are the ugliest things on the road.

Fiat is to Citroen/Peugeot what Renault is to Vauxhall etc. Same thing with a crapper badge.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:35:53 am »
They are the same van as the Vauxhall Combo. I ran the previous shape version for about 5 years with no issues at all- complete reliablilty and one of the best engines ever made- the 1.3 multijet. Plenty of power and 50mpg fully loaded! If I could  get away with a smaller van now I would have another in a heartbeat!
Comfortably Numb!

drakestar!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 01:24:04 pm »
Where do you go to buy please

C.C.S.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:25 pm »
I had a 2007 model 1.3 multijet for nearly 6 years .It's been reliable .I only changed the clutch and turbo which overall I don't think it's too bad.
I know had a 2012 1.6 multijet 105 bhp maxi version for over 1 year. No problem so far

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:03 am »
I love my little doblo. Had it since new from 2007 as it had the right payload for a 400ltr tank in a small van.

Just thinking of getting a Talento next as I've had no problems with it other than changing glow plugs and a slight clutch issue recently. In 10 years it has only done 63,500 miles though.

I'm comparison to the traffic, vivaro and Nissan NV300 they're cheap as chips
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Crystal-clear

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:04 pm »
1000 payload is dam good for that size
My connect 230 has 900 so that's even more and 3 years old too?
Can't see it being bad

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:53 pm »
I wanted the Doblo but at the time there was not much about for the money i was willing to pay , i ended up with a fiorino , falls down a bit on payload but then what does Noddy have to carry other than Big Ears  ;D

Give it a while and the market will be flooded with them , trouble is they will all be faded red and abused by postmen !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Elfyn

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 07:45:55 am »
Perhaps - the way to look at it is that the other vans are over priced?  ;D

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 07:12:18 pm »
Mate of mine is a windie and just bought a second hand one. Loves it.
He bought it off his best mate who's a mechanic and had it as his own van!
PS Never ever buy a post office van. My brother is a postie and they are ragged. Hardly ever been out of second gear!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Crystal-clear

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
I just seen some on auto trader they look good and 1k payload honestly what's the catch 2014s around 3k private 40k miles what the hell

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 10:13:14 pm »
They are spot on for the money , my old dear has had 3 of the old shape ones , my brother has one now and i dont think much has changed on them but the shape , none of them has needed anything other than servicing , fiat i feel are very much overlooked these days .
I have the Fiorino that hasnt cost me a penny in 2 year other than a clutch , i also have a punto in my mother in laws garage i think , but in all fairness that one is fecked out of sight with an ecu problem  ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »
Literally connect 240 new shape with 50k or 45k 8500+ vat 9,000+ vAt literally half price the fiats 4+ vat same 1k payload as well
insane price difference we need to figure out why
Specially when you say they're good vans

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 10:32:54 pm »
Bought my 2007 model for 3250 no vat with 30-odd K on clock in 2010. Ran it for 5 years trouble free, never let me down and sold it to a trader for 1500- who immediately sold it on for 2k. So, 5 years trouble free service cost me 1750 smackers! ;D
Comfortably Numb!

Scrimble

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 11:59:33 am »
great vans I have a few of them, cheapest I seen was brand new pre reg 7500+vat for a poverty spec model

p1w1

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
I had a 2007 model 1.3 multijet for nearly 6 years .It's been reliable .I only changed the clutch and turbo which overall I don't think it's too bad.
I know had a 2012 1.6 multijet 105 bhp maxi version for over 1 year. No problem so far
What size tank do you have in it?

C.C.S.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 07:59:12 pm »
in previous one 400 L, and 500 L in the current one

p1w1

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:50 pm »
cheers

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:00 pm »
I,ve been looking for 3 weeks,ebay(newly listed) and autotrader private sales,not found anything  I would consider a bargain. I didn't see a 2014 with 40k miles at £3k  though it could have been bought and sold then taken down in a flash.If I had seen it I would have immediately suspected a previous write off or something else suspicious as there is nothing else out there remotely near this sort of price. I,m following a 2014 cat c repaired 2.0 jtd SX LWB but just to  observe the final price,its currently at  £4095 (no vat)with 5 days to go.With a mileage of 70,000 I think it's more than enough already and may well need a clutch soon if not now.I think the original buy it now price which disappears once bidding starts was £5400.
 If I find a low mileage (50,000 max)old shape 58 , 59 plate 1.9jtd that's very tidy and been cambelted  or price adjusted to compensate  I  will pounce. I've seen these with 80 or 90,000 miles at £2995 +vat. So I say,please point me to  these so called bargains.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 09:08:06 pm »
I,ve been looking for 3 weeks,ebay(newly listed) and autotrader private sales,not found anything  I would consider a bargain. I didn't see a 2014 with 40k miles at £3k  though it could have been bought and sold then taken down in a flash.If I had seen it I would have immediately suspected a previous write off or something else suspicious as there is nothing else out there remotely near this sort of price. I,m following a 2014 cat c repaired 2.0 jtd SX LWB but just to  observe the final price,its currently at  £4095 (no vat)with 5 days to go.With a mileage of 70,000 I think it's more than enough already and may well need a clutch soon if not now.I think the original buy it now price which disappears once bidding starts was £5400.
 If I find a low mileage (50,000 max)old shape 58 , 59 plate 1.9jtd that's very tidy and been cambelted  or price adjusted to compensate  I  will pounce. I've seen these with 80 or 90,000 miles at £2995 +vat. So I say,please point me to  these so called bargains.

My 1.3 multijet was a cam chain- no belts
Comfortably Numb!

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »
Yes,the 1.3 are chain driven  but the the oil change intervals are too long,people don't adjust this down either for shorter start stop journeys a consequence of which is oil starvation to the timing chain tensioner resulting very often in  a scrap engine.

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
2 year ago i was looking for one , lots were about with around 60k on the clock on 12 plates , the prices were all about 5k plus the dreaded . 

P @ F

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
Yes,the 1.3 are chain driven  but the the oil change intervals are too long,people don't adjust this down either for shorter start stop journeys a consequence of which is oil starvation to the timing chain tensioner resulting very often in  a scrap engine.
Tell me more please , i have the Fiorino which is 1.3 and chain driven , should i be doing something that the book is not telling me ?

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 10:19:42 pm »
Just me,I would change the oil and filter every 6000 miles or yearly whichever comes first.

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:33 pm »
Oops ,  ::)roll , i have had it nearly 2 years and done 9979 miles , Guess whos doing an oil and filter this weekend  ;D

Mind you , the damage may well have already been done , it had done 21k a year for the first 3 years of its life , lets just hope they looked after it a bit better than me !

Cheers for that Nameless , i used to be on top of servicing , guess igot lazy eh  ::)roll

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:22 am »
I recently bought a pug partner on a 13 plate with 44k for £4700 and saw quite a few similar about.

Not sure if it was a great price but seems ok

Crystal-clear

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 11:26:56 pm »
so just make you you change oil and filer regularly to avoid problems 5-6k or once a year

P @ F

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 11:42:19 am »
Ouch , just been to Fiat to get the oil and filter......£76.64    :o

p1w1

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 11:48:01 am »
Ouch , just been to Fiat to get the oil and filter......£76.64    :o
depending on the oil they used seems a fair price really.

P @ F

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 12:07:15 pm »
No , that was parts supply price , would have been double if i had them do it !

Scrimble

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 12:32:44 pm »
in the manual it says the oil needs replacing annually if used around towns, stop start driving  etc regardless of mileage, this nearly always gets ignored,

P&F try www.shop4parts.co.uk if your doing oil and filter yourself next time. will be cheaper than getting from main dealer,

p1w1

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 12:37:31 pm »
No , that was parts supply price , would have been double if i had them do it !

Yep then i agree  :o :o

P @ F

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
in the manual it says the oil needs replacing annually if used around towns, stop start driving  etc regardless of mileage, this nearly always gets ignored,

P&F try www.shop4parts.co.uk if your doing oil and filter yourself next time. will be cheaper than getting from main dealer,
I will have a look at that , but i nearly had an expensive lesson 1000 miles ago when i did the clutch , i shopped around for the cheapest prices , i got a good deal on a quality clutch and had the oil from this motor factor too (eurocarparts).
When all fitted i went on test , it just didnt feel the same , i called the main dealer to enquire over the viscosity and make up of the oil that should be used , turns out the viscosity was close but the make up was way out , they had supplied me with mineral oil which could have killed the box in weeks , when i took the oil back for a cheeky refund i was told that as it had been used i would not getting my money back , i asked for a manager to argue my case to and his face was a picture , he checked van specs and grimaced , he then refunded me without another word .
Thats why when it comes to oils and fluids its main dealer only for me now !

Scrimble

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 02:52:32 pm »
shop4parts sell genuine fiat items, the oil fiat use is  selenia, the manual will tell you exactly which grade oil to buy

P @ F

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »

Some great prices on there chief , the front suspension tops need doing soon , common fault so im told , thanks very much for the heads up on these guys .

AuRavelling79

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 07:05:39 pm »
Okay. The 1.6 is the most recent engine (the 1.3 and the 1.9 having been around for 12 years plus now.) and I have heard that it should have oil changes very regularly.

My 2006 1.3 multijet is going strong in the hands of its second owner from new. I sold it at 8 years old in 2014 on 42,000 miles. It is now on about 60,000 and going strong on its second clutch.
It's a game of three halves!

P @ F

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 07:11:11 pm »
Okay. The 1.6 is the most recent engine (the 1.3 and the 1.9 having been around for 12 years plus now.) and I have heard that it should have oil changes very regularly.

My 2006 1.3 multijet is going strong in the hands of its second owner from new. I sold it at 8 years old in 2014 on 42,000 miles. It is now on about 60,000 and going strong on its second clutch.
If i am right , this is Dan the Man yes , if so , at what times/milages did you and Dan do the changes roughly if you know , just as a reference point of view please Mr Gold ?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:32 pm »
Once a year at MOT time. I did less than 6000 a year but all short journeys.

I think around year 3 (after the warranty ran out) I left it 18 months and at the local garage I use the owner sucked his teeth and said that as the Doblo had a small sump (3.6 litres for the 1.3 I think) you needed to be fastidious about oil changes.

Dan does his own oil and brake pads etc. I think he does the oil once a year.

It's a game of three halves!

P @ F

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 09:41:42 pm »
Once a year at MOT time. I did less than 6000 a year but all short journeys.

I think around year 3 (after the warranty ran out) I left it 18 months and at the local garage I use the owner sucked his teeth and said that as the Doblo had a small sump (3.6 litres for the 1.3 I think) you needed to be fastidious about oil changes.

Dan does his own oil and brake pads etc. I think he does the oil once a year.
Engine ,sump and filter come to 3.2 L for the 75 HP and 2.8 L for the 95 HP , so looking at it like that it wouldnt break the bank to do it every 6 months , going by the link Scrimble put up earlier then it would cost about £100 a year to do , way cheaper than a new engine or van  .

James chapman

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 05:17:52 pm »
I use a maxi. The van itself is awesome. Handle a big tank no worries. Ecomaical and I've done 155k now mostly on the motorway. But it needed two rear suspension swing arm things at £800 a side plus the abs sensors each side another 120 per side. Fiat only parts. Top mounts. Egr valve box. New clutch. Flywheel and something cylinder related in the gearbox. That was £850. Now it seem like you need to tag it to get the turbo to kick in first couple of gear changes of the day. Think it was used as a delivery van before I bought it with about 65k on the clock. I'd buy another one though. Just newer with less miles on it that has had light use.

Elfyn

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 06:06:35 pm »
A friend of mine bought a 15 month old VW Caddy three years ago with only 10k n the clock. He paid top money for it (almost as much as a new one) and he's had nothing but trouble and spent thousands on it. Only goes to show that with anything mechanical you can be lucky and you can be un-lucky.

p1w1

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »
CCS where abouts in essex are you, anywhere near Braintree? Wouldn't mind having a look at your van(if possible) there are no dealers around here to have a good look at one.
can e-mail me paul@impactcleaning.net if you dont want to put your exact place on the forum.

C.C.S.

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:21 pm »
Hi,
CCS where abouts in essex are you, anywhere near Braintree? Wouldn't mind having a look at your van(if possible) there are no dealers around here to have a good look at one.
can e-mail me paul@impactcleaning.net if you dont want to put your exact place on the forum.
Hi,Not too far Colchester.
I'll email you my details .
I got my van from Amavans which isn't too far from you I think. They didn't had it in stock but left my details and called me whe hey did. Also they are fair on prices.

C.C.S.

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 07:43:27 pm »
Hi,
I got my van from Amavans which isn't too far from you I think. They didn't had it in stock but left my details and called me whe hey did. Also they are fair on prices.

http://www.amavans.co.uk/used-fiat-doblo-tollesbury-essex-1302137
Just had a look on their website .they have a couple with low miles.I think I paid £6600 including VAT with 48k , 62 reg

p1w1

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:18 pm »
Hi,
Thanks mate much appreciated. I saw that one earlier thinking of getting a new one i reckon, ideally want the extra airbags etc.