This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mpajek

wooden floor buffering
« on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:00 pm »
Hi guys!!!

I know its the world cup, but maybe somebody can help.   :D

I was asked to clean a pub that has wooden floors, the owner wants us to buffer them every second day.

I haven't buffered before so I don't really know what equipment to use, how to prepare the floor (vacumm and mop before??), how long it takes (for example compared to mopping, twice as long??)

The pub is medium size.

thanks for your comments  :)

Martin

*Chris Browne

Re: wooden floor buffering
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 10:08:48 pm »
Hi Martin,

im presuming the floors have always been polished and are sealed, yes it will take just that bit longer and yes you will have to clean(prepare) the floor first. you will need a high speed polisher, pads of various strenths from white to black and floor polish for wooden floors.

chris

mpajek

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:37:22 pm »
Hi Chris!

Thanks for your quick reply. :)

You are right about the floors, they are sealed.

What price range is this kind of equipment? Any good ones you would recomend?

So before buffering, vacum and mop??

I heard somewhere that some buffers have vacums in them,  would that mean only moping before buffering??

any comments on these questions   ;D

cheers

Martin

Fox

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:59:18 am »
Hi Martin

I heard somewhere that some buffers have vacums in them,

You are thinking of a scrubber dryer and you would not need one of these for that job.  You will need to get yourself some training if you haven't used a rotary machine before, if you are going to buy new where you buy from should do that.

Try Taski (johnson diversey), Premiere and Numatic they all do decent machines, I think express also supply them so do a search there aswell. 

Yes before buffing vac and mop, make sure the floor is dry before buffing, either buff using nothing or you can use a spray (express will advise you on the chemical) use a white or red pad on your machine.

Fox

mpajek

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 01:02:03 pm »
hi fox!

thanks for your advice  :D

I also realised that most of these machines are heavy, and my staff will need to carry them up&down stairs, so is there sth lighter??

I just found a cheap kearcher one called PST 222. Express Cleaning Supplies  sells them on ebay
here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KARCHER-PST-222-FLOOR-POLISHER-BUFFER-VACUUM-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ6064923431QQcategoryZ42266QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is light, brush speed is 700 rpm. Will it do the job?? Or is this a typical domestic machine.   :)

cheers

martin

PHILC

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »
we buff floors on a daily basis using a numatic floor polisher and a tan pad
you need to make sure you give it a really good hoover and mop before buffing as the last thing you want is a little stone or something making nice scratches all over the floor

As regards to what polish to use will be down to the finish you are looking to acheive we us a product called Easy Clean from a company called Granwax Products if we want a satin or non shiny finish or if you want a shiny finish we use a product called Spray and buff from chemx.

Basically what we do is hoover the floor first and then mop and leave to dry
Then once the floor is dry we use a trigger spray and apply a fine spray over an area of about 2-3m and then begin to buff using a tan pad try if you can to buff along the grain of the floor as this reduces the risk of a streaky finish.
You need to be patient and keep going over the area until it begins to shine.

Also be wary of how much wax you spray on the floor as too much and it will look super shiny and you will make it ery slippy hope this helps where abouts are you based?

premier floorcare

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:20:19 pm »
buffing wood floors? strange

mpajek

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:00:23 pm »
thanks supreme  :)

Thats a very detailed answer!! Great!!

What neumatic model are you using? is it very heavy??

I'm based in north london

cheers

martin

PHILC

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:23:56 pm »
i can  t remember the exact model i will look 2moro (how wierd is that i use the machine every day) its fairly heavy and uses a 16" pad

buffing wood floors? strange

am i missing something ???