Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dan marsh

New to window cleaning
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
Hi all I'm completely new to this and was just wondering wot advice you could give me on wots the best troliy to bye ?  And are all the wfp universall . Thanks ps sorry for the spelling I'm dyslexic.

SB Cleaning

Re: New to window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:26 pm »
Don't bother with trolleys or backpacks...go straight to a van mount system and min 650litre tank.

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:21:44 pm »
Which area are you in dan?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:37:07 pm »
Hiw many customers do you have at the moment? Have you canvassed any work up or any experience yet?

If the answer is not much then i would suggest a backpack trolley system to begin with untill you have built up experience and a descent round to invest more money into
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dan marsh

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:40 pm »
Absalouty nothing yet going in to a partnership with a freind/coleagu . We will have between 6k to 8k to start off with we want to go in with a good set up straght away so was thinking not to get a back pack but don't want to go crazy on a big van mounted systems just Incas all fails . So was thinking 4k on a van 2k on a trolie, pole an all old school eqipmement 1k on gutter cleaner an 1k on setting up web page an so on . Also need money for public liability and a training course which seams to be a prob at mo as I can only find courses in Newcastle and we are down in Bournemouth.  We know the first 6 months at least will be hard going but we both have shares in a big taxi firm so we have this to help us out and things go well after the first year we will then sell and go for a big van system as we will have the custermer base and more knolleage and experience.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
Absalouty nothing yet going in to a partnership with a freind/coleagu . We will have between 6k to 8k to start off with we want to go in with a good set up straght away so was thinking not to get a back pack but don't want to go crazy on a big van mounted systems just Incas all fails . So was thinking 4k on a van 2k on a trolie, pole an all old school eqipmement 1k on gutter cleaner an 1k on setting up web page an so on . Also need money for public liability and a training course which seams to be a prob at mo as I can only find courses in Newcastle and we are down in Bournemouth.  We know the first 6 months at least will be hard going but we both have shares in a big taxi firm so we have this to help us out and things go well after the first year we will then sell and go for a big van system as we will have the custermer base and more knolleage and experience.

IME partnerships very rarely work.better off going it alone if you can mate.work with a window cleaner first to see if you can hack it.otherwise it could be a big waste of time and money.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »
Take a look at purefreedom and grippa tank for some idea of prices etc.
If your doing a van system then dont waste money on a big flash trolley system as you will be sticking with van system and get it for a 2 man set up and.
Save some money to perhaps buy some rounds
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
Dan don't waste your money on a training course as you could learn all you need to know in 30mins, after that its just a matter
of practice inspecting your work  correcting and learning  from any mistakes, I'm sure could find plenty of family and friends
properties to practice on, certainly beats listening to some chancer making a simple job look as difficult as possible to justify a fee.
If totally lost buy a system from Grippa tank or similar and get them to throw in a bit of training on how to use and maintain it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:18:55 pm »
Take a look at purefreedom and grippa tank for some idea of prices etc.
If your doing a van system then dont waste money on a big flash trolley system as you will be sticking with van system and get it for a 2 man set up and.
Save some money to perhaps buy some rounds
Cleaning warehouse in Wolverhampton do very good systems at a good price too.

Dan marsh

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:21:04 pm »
Concerning the partnership I've known the guy for a long time and he is the straightest most honest guy I've ever met plus only spending  3 to 4k will help a lot to start up but I do understand wot you're saying as I have heard this from others as well . From wot I've read most people are saying back pack arnt great as it's lots of luging around and filling up constantly ? And if we do go with a big van mounted systems coasting us 3k that won't be until we have a pretty good round going which I guess will take a year or so an at that point we will look to have two vans one nice almost new one with the big old system in and the old first van with a trolie in . Dose this sound like a good way to go or very wrong ?  Luckily in Bournemouth it don't rain quiet as much as up north too . I've done split shifts an night shifts for the last 16 years and I would just love to have a job mon to Fri but I'm willing to do 10 hour days an even sat as well .

Dan marsh

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:25:25 pm »
Dry clean . Wasn't sure if I needed to do a course or not to be fair but thought it would be something good to advertise on the website that's all . Was thinking window cleaners might not want to let me shadow then for a few weeks as for them this could turn out to be more compation in the area . Suppose I could make a few phone calls and ask around I guess

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:57 pm »
Your going to need a lot of work if your going down the partnership route...i would get out door knocking and see how the market in your area is before you start spending too much.

Don Kee

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »
Forget the course, I'm in Bristol. For £300 per man, per day and I'll take you out and train you up
I'll even show me around my van, (2 man set up) and show you my backpack, have a go and see what you think....

In all seriousness, find someone within a reasonable travel distance to you that may be willing to show you the ropes and how their system works.
I took someone out a couple of years ago (think he was from dorset somewhere) that had been on a 'training course' as he wanted to get a grasp of it all in real time. With all due respect to the chap (I'm sure you're better now if you're still on the forum!) the training course he'd been on was a waste of time. Trad and wfp, they hadn't shown him much about much....

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:12 pm »
Forget the course, I'm in Bristol.  £300 per man, per day and I'll take you out and train you up
I'll even show me around my van, (2 man set up) and show you my backpack, have a go and see what you think....

In all seriousness, find someone within a reasonable travel distance to you that may be willing to show you the ropes and how their system works.
I took someone out a couple of years ago (think he was from dorset somewhere) that had been on a 'training course' as he wanted to get a grasp of it all in real time. With all due respect to the chap (I'm sure you're better now if you're still on the forum!) the training course he'd been on was a waste of time. Trad and wfp, they hadn't shown him much about much....

here here I will do the same if you travel to Colchester I will send you out with the big fellow , hes a stright talking bloke and will keep you right with no bull talk just hard graft and what works , all our vans have home made system s built for under 500 pounds even the new m sport that's on order will get the home made stuff put it

NBwcs

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:55 pm »
Concerning the partnership I've known the guy for a long time and he is the straightest most honest guy I've ever met plus only spending  3 to 4k will help a lot to start up but I do understand wot you're saying as I have heard this from others as well . From wot I've read most people are saying back pack arnt great as it's lots of luging around and filling up constantly ? And if we do go with a big van mounted systems coasting us 3k that won't be until we have a pretty good round going which I guess will take a year or so an at that point we will look to have two vans one nice almost new one with the big old system in and the old first van with a trolie in . Dose this sound like a good way to go or very wrong ?  Luckily in Bournemouth it don't rain quiet as much as up north too . I've done split shifts an night shifts for the last 16 years and I would just love to have a job mon to Fri but I'm willing to do 10 hour days an even sat as well .
[/quote

Think your missing the point, your friends integrity isnt the issue its simple mathematics. Your entering a competitive market and need a lot of customers which wont be easy. If for arguments sake you think you need 250 custys to earn a living on your own then you now have to double that for a partnership!  Your making life twice as difficult for yourself.

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:08 pm »
Dan, theres great advice on here from us lot who have built up large sustainable rounds. Have alot of experience through trial and error.  Many (myself included) years in traditional work before upgrading to wfp systems and converting perhaps difficult customers in believe to switch from being a trad customer to wfp.
We know as much about wfp and different systems and perhaps up n coming new systems to the market and so we are talking a tonne of wealth in information that your looking for.
So it may at times be in conflict to your predetermined ideas and plans BUT its well worth contemplating the recommendations n advice being given.
(Ie a training course that afterwards might be good as a marketing tool???!)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:49 pm »
If you fancy a trip to Cornwall you can come out with us for a few days free of charge to see how we work that was how I started 19 years ago and learned a lot

Dan marsh

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:54:03 pm »
Ok thanks everyone for the advice . Me and my buisnes partner no it will take time and luckily for us like I said before we have both got our own taxis and can work full time or part time whenever we want so we will Carrie on working the taxi for a while until we get a full round going then we will seal the shares but keep our taxi license so we can still work part time untill we have two vans bringing in decent money . We are in no rush with it all . But once again in very greatfull for all the advice thank you

Dan marsh

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 09:56:02 pm »
Reflections south west thank you very much for the offer that's very kind off you .I'll talk to my partner and let you know . Thank you once again

dave f

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 06:36:46 am »
why not look on you tube if you have not done so there are some good learning vids /beats paying some one .but me personaly I just got a system and went full on learnt as I went on.be prepaird to loose a few customers which you will at first it gets hard to loose but as you progress they become few and far between

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 07:17:23 am »
Dan, I live in Southampton so not too far from you, you would be welcome to come out with me for a day or 2 to learn the job
I also know a very good contact in your area who is a great canvasser and could knock you up a round in no time.

colin bird

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:18 am »
Dan, I live in Southampton so not too far from you, you would be welcome to come out with me for a day or 2 to learn the job
I also know a very good contact in your area who is a great canvasser and could knock you up a round in no time.

That's a nice thing to offer a newbie mate,,not an offer to be missed i?

8weekly

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:38 am »
To fill two vans assuming an 8 weekly service will need 1,000 customers. To get 1,000 customers I'd be willing to bet you'll go through 1,500 as you will pick up lots of messers.

Dan marsh

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »
Thanks Dave f that's basicly all I've been doing for the last month now  . Watching YouTube vids but would really like to have some hands on experience first which I'm pretty confident I'll find to be fair. I've wrighten off doing a course for now could be something I can come back to latter on if I won't to I guess.

Dan marsh

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 03:37:21 pm »
s
Sorry I've only just seen you're post . Didn't mean to be rude I'm currently waiting to here back from 2 family run window cleaners in Bournemouth at the mo but if I haven't sorted anything bye the end off next week the I will defantly take you up on that offer . Thank you very much . Much appreciated

Dan marsh

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 11:07:24 pm »
Hi Jay.  Any chance I could get on tohch with you as I would like to take you up on you're offer . That's if the offer is still open ? Thanks

Walter Mitty

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
Don't worry about working fast initially as you'll have plenty of gaps in your round anyway.  Get a decent technique (by going out with someone for a couple of days or so) and pick up the speed as your work increases.  Not sure you need to spend £1k on a website initially.  Indeed, at first, you may not need to bother with that at all. so long as you ensure you supply good contact details.  A landline phone number, mobile number, address, and email address are helpful because that covers the various means of contact.  Website might be for later if you want to provide means of paying on the internet.  At first, I suggest that the £1k cpuld be better spent elsewhere, or even held in reserve in case needed.

tony day

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:37 am »
Hi all I'm completely new to this and was just wondering wot advice you could give me on wots the best troliy to bye ?  And are all the wfp universall . Thanks ps sorry for the spelling I'm dyslexic.
Do yourself a favour and don't bother, this trade is sh#t! chasing money, time wasters, day's off due to weather, working through the winter. Then the over technical & expense for WFP. NOT A TRADE LIKE IT!!