Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Anderson

Tank heating....
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:02 am »
Ok I know very little about what I am about to ask.... :P

So I have a 650L upright  in my van and a 2000l Holding tank 205 x 70 x 190 cm (LXBXH) in the shed.... I am in the process of rebuilding both my van and static system.

So given that I will insulate both systems would it be more economical to heat the 2000l or the 650l tank for use... In this I mean use an immersion heater element in one the tanks.... Most weeks I will get away with using 2000 litres so that means only one water fill/creation per week.....

If for any reason the weather is going to be bad for more than a few days I normally drain all the hoses and then blow the lines through with a compressor and empty the van tank back into the main 2000l holding tank...... I have had a couple of occasions got caught out so I do take the whole winterising thing seriously.

I'm not trying to create a 'hot-system' more for the comfort of warm hoses in the winter and as a by-product a warm-water circulation system in the van system to stop freezing issues.....

Cheers Dave.

p.s last thing on my mind...anyone have an actual experience with pipe heater cable?

The more I know the less I know I know ...

nathankaye

Re: Tank heating....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »
You prob already know lol. That i have a 1kw 27inch immersion heater in my tank.
(I ordered a 2kw one and only recently i had to check something and found it to be a 1kw) but i get my water into the 60 degree marks. My tank is insulated and it holds the temp nicely all day. So done a quick vid to show that, taking the temp of what water ive got left in van at 6pm ish.
As i know u said more for not freezing over night, but everytime i open van doors im hit with the heat contain within. Infact when im travelling between jobs or on way to work i turn the air vent on (already installed b4 i bought the van) to try n help disperse the heat.

https://youtu.be/aDKzwvOAkHk
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dave Anderson

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to video... Many Thanks....

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
You prob already know lol. That i have a 1kw 27inch immersion heater in my tank.
(I ordered a 2kw one and only recently i had to check something and found it to be a 1kw) but i get my water into the 60 degree marks. My tank is insulated and it holds the temp nicely all day. So done a quick vid to show that, taking the temp of what water ive got left in van at 6pm ish.
As i know u said more for not freezing over night, but everytime i open van doors im hit with the heat contain within. Infact when im travelling between jobs or on way to work i turn the air vent on (already installed b4 i bought the van) to try n help disperse the heat.

Have you had your first actual electric meter read yet Nathan?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Anderson

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:02:28 pm »

I did and i was shocked!!
I phoned them to see what rates im on per hour, expecting cheaper at off peak!  I wasnt, i was on a flat rate of 16p per kw day or night. So i got that swapped asap! They had to swap the meter reading machine so it recorded day n night usage and now im on 15 day and from 11pm (till 7am) only 8p. 
I stick it on either at 8 or 9pm till 8am. so thats either (from 8pm -11p plus 7am -8am    then 11pm till 7am) 60p + 64p =£1,24 per night or (from 9pm) 45p + 64 = £1.09 per night so not gonna break the bank at that rate. Plus a penny cheaper during the day
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

combat1

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:51:17 pm »
How did you find out it was 1kw Nathan? 
I'm experimenting with times at the moment. I reckon in the summer around 40 is nice to work with.
Also, do you not have a cover for your thermostat? Looking at your vid.
I have adopted a couple of ideas from your video, so thanks for that.

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:01 am »
How did you find out it was 1kw Nathan? 
I'm experimenting with times at the moment. I reckon in the summer around 40 is nice to work with.
Also, do you not have a cover for your thermostat? Looking at your vid.
I have adopted a couple of ideas from your video, so thanks for that.

No worries.
Yep I have a cover for it, Ive just not put it back on thats all.
When i placed my order for the immersion I asked the sales guy if they have any heaters larger than the standard 14" which they were selling. He told me they had but they were 3kw. Since im renting this property and cant change any electrics I wanted a 2kw one. He had a look on system and told me of the one I purchased and so I took his word for it etc.
Anyway recently I had to re wire so I had to look at my order paperwork to get the model number to search net for info and it popped up as being a 1kw. Im a little peeved but I should have trippled checked when I got it, but since ive fitted it n it works then, i dont overly care about it being 1kw.

I used to use a couple of 500w fistank heaters at one stage (as i didnt want to cut into tank initially) and they got the water to about 40. Its still hot if you put your hand in and it certainly softens the hoses nicely. I also found it cleaned slightly better and thats what made me end up cutting into tank n going down immersion heater route.

I do prefer my water to be in 60's though, especially for first cleans or even for fascia n conny roof cleans.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

combat1

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:25:41 pm »
Might check my paperwork etc.
I have two bought from Heatrod.
They are expensive when you look at what a 3kw costs.

Dry Clean

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:24 pm »
Even at a starting point of 15degrees it would take a 1kw heater 26hours to heat 500lts of water to 60 degrees, as per usual Nathan your stories have more holes in them than a Swiss cheese.

Dry Clean

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 04:45:07 pm »
For anybody looking to install an element here's how to calculate the power and time needed.https://elementsofheating.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/how-to-calculate-the-kw-required-to-heat-a-volume-of-water-in-a-particular-time/

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 05:45:34 pm »
Even at a starting point of 15degrees it would take a 1kw heater 26hours to heat 500lts of water to 60 degrees, as per usual Nathan your stories have more holes in them than a Swiss cheese.

So, according to these calculations Im Off work for 24 hours to be able to film myself taking a temperature reading of my water temp throughout the day as seen on my youtube channel or the latest vid I put on for dave.
But i guess im more intrigued to know, what gain have i got from being dishonest about this?? Have i got some shares in the sale of 1kw heaters per chance??
But maybe you should watch my vids again and reset your start temp of water.

This is my receipt of my heatrod, google the immersion and see what kw it is yourselves

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »
It is my guess that your element is indeed 2Kw Nathan.
Comfortably Numb!

Dry Clean

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:00 pm »
It is my guess that your element is indeed 2Kw Nathan.

I suspect slightly higher.

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:23:18 pm »

So, according to these calculations Im Off work for 24 hours to be able to film myself taking a temperature reading of my water temp throughout the day as seen on my youtube channel or the latest vid I put on for dave.
But i guess im more intrigued to know, what gain have i got from being dishonest about this?? Have i got some shares in the sale of 1kw heaters per chance??
But maybe you should watch my vids again and reset your start temp of water.

This is my receipt of my heatrod, google the immersion and see what kw it is yourselves

Nathan the above calculator cant be wrong infect it doesn't  allow for heat loss over that time frame which even with your
tank insulation there will still be a certain amount.
The heat in your tank is stored energy and the calculator measures that, you cant have more stored energy than you've put in.

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:04 pm »
Most nights depending how much water ive used during the day, once ive topped up mybtank again the start temp is between 36 and early 40's.

If its an empty tank and filling up from the very bottom, its around 18 - 20 starting temp. Its not aften im starting from this temp, but if I am I might start it from an earlier time.

Dont know 2 much about the science behind it, i simply know what I have and what im working with and trying to share my experiences with ones who are considering going down this route
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 08:03:21 pm »
Most nights depending how much water ive used during the day, once ive topped up mybtank again the start temp is between 36 and early 40's.

If its an empty tank and filling up from the very bottom, its around 18 - 20 starting temp. Its not aften im starting from this temp, but if I am I might start it from an earlier time.

Dont know 2 much about the science behind it, i simply know what I have and what im working with and trying to share my experiences with ones who are considering going down this route

I suggest on your next fill measure the tank water temp and heat for say 8 hours and measure the temp again, with the above calculator you should be able to work out what kw your element actually is.
Above 2kw and you may be putting pressure on your home electrics but you would be better discussing that with a spark.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »
question

How much a month is it costing to run hotvwater with the immersion heater and I'm assuming you work 5 days

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »

I phoned them to see what rates im on per hour, expecting cheaper at off peak!  I wasnt, i was on a flat rate of 16p per kw day or night. So i got that swapped asap! They had to swap the meter reading machine so it recorded day n night usage and now im on 15 day and from 11pm (till 7am) only 8p. 
I stick it on either at 8 or 9pm till 8am. so thats either (from 8pm -11p plus 7am -8am    then 11pm till 7am) 60p + 64p =£1,24 per night or (from 9pm) 45p + 64 = £1.09 per night so not gonna break the bank at that rate. Plus a penny cheaper during the day

So pending how long i run the heater and if it is as it should be, a 1kw its between £1.10 - £1:50 (if i run it longer than above, so giving some scope)
 On average about 4 days a week. At mo running a little late due to van breaking down and some other circumstances. So ive a wk n half left to get 3 wks work done. Easily do it, but means im mon to fri at the mo
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 09:29:15 pm »
Didnt use loads of water today so topping her up I have a high start temp, took this at 21.26 when i just filled her up.

Tanks not full to brim so maybe 450 or 470 ltrs and lets call it 9.30pm.
I will post temp at 8am.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dave Anderson

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:08:13 pm »
Hey Nathan, just for the giggles perhaps you could input the data you have here and see if the reality and the science match... Would do it myself but am awaiting my equipment/heater order to arrive in the next few weeks....

https://www.oemheaters.com/topic/immersion-wattage

Cheers Dave.

Dry Clean

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »

So pending how long i run the heater and if it is as it should be, a 1kw its between £1.10 - £1:50 (if i run it longer than above, so giving some scope)
 On average about 4 days a week. At mo running a little late due to van breaking down and some other circumstances. So ive a wk n half left to get 3 wks work done. Easily do it, but means im mon to fri at the mo

Give me strength (roll eyes) Its impossible for it to be 1kw, do you not have youngsters ? if so ask them to explain it to you, this is basic 11+ physics.

Dry Clean

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:24 pm »
1kw heating 500ltrs by 30degrees from starting temp will take just under 17.5 hours, this is fact and if your readings are different
then you have a stronger heater or your not heating 500lts.