Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

Snookered myself
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:50:52 pm »
Customer after first clean:

Hello!

I have just transferred £18.00 into your account for cleaning the windows today at 15 %%%%%% Avenue.

If it is OK with you, we have decided to make it a one off job.

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

No problem, I will send you an invoice for the difference. One off jobs are 3 x regular price.

Regards,

Steve

Her reply a few days later:

Wow – you should have told me that.

The reason we are not going ahead is because we weren’t happy with the job. The outline of the bird was still on the bedroom window, the ground floor windows had streaks on them were lines of drips had dried and the front door was covered in smeared dirt which we thought meant it was just quickly wiped over.

We have cleaned up now but that was not what we were expecting so I think we will call it quits.

Thanks

My reply:

I asked whether you wanted a regular or one off and priced accordingly. Had you mentioned faults I'd have popped back to inspect and recleaned without quibbling.

I look forward to receiving settlement in full. The first clean requires at least three times as long as a regular maintenance clean which is why my first question to you and all enquiries is do you want a regular or one off clean. You said regular.

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

If you are happy to come back without quibbling if we are not satisfied with the job then we will see you in 8 weeks.

As before, I guess you will text Janice so we can leave the side gate open (the gate was swinging wide open last time when I got in – please could you make sure it is closed before you go next time).

Thanks

What would you do.

Incidentally I'm pretty thorough on first cleans and I did this one. I doubt what they are saying but in any case I'd have gone back.

paul alan

Re: Snookered myself
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:59:02 pm »
Turn up in 8 weeks, see how it pans out!

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:17:25 pm »
Does sound like it could be a genuine complaint but it would have been better for them to have complained and given you the opportunity to go and see it and put it right rather than do it the way they did

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »

Did you tell them you offer a guarantee if the clean wasn't satisfactory?

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:23:20 pm »
Does sound like it could be a genuine complaint but it would have been better for them to have complained and given you the opportunity to go and see it and put it right rather than do it the way they did
If I wasn't so thorough on first cleans I'd have said maybe. If there was the odd run I wouldn't be surprised as all the vents were cleaned, but I go all round then go back and start again & I overscrub on the first clean. Interesting that they have said that they've put it all right so I can't go and see though.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
Maybe they thought "he's been here Three times longer than anyone else and still done a rubbish job"!! :-)
Comfortably Numb!

Marc Stock

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »
Some people just don't like confrontation. Sounds to me this customer is one of those. As very easily they backed down.

I always always say to customers on the 1st clean if there are any problems please don't feel bad about calling me to rectify .

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:30 pm »
Think they got lee in instead
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

chris turner

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »

Hello!

I have just transferred £18.00 into your account for cleaning the windows today at 15 %%%%%% Avenue.

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

No problem, I will send you an invoice for the difference. One off jobs are 3 x regular price.

Regards,

Steve

The reason we are not going ahead is because we weren’t happy with the job. The outline of the bird was still on the bedroom window, the ground floor windows had streaks on them were lines of drips had dried and the front door was covered in smeared dirt which we thought meant it was just quickly wiped over.

We have cleaned up now but that was not what we were expecting so I think we will call it quits.

Thanks

My reply:

I asked whether you wanted a regular or one off and priced accordingly. Had you mentioned faults I'd have popped back to inspect and recleaned without quibbling.

I look forward to receiving settlement in full. The first clean requires at least three times as long as a regular maintenance clean which is why my first question to you and all enquiries is do you want a regular or one off clean. You said regular.

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

If you are happy to come back without quibbling if we are not satisfied with the job then we will see you in 8 weeks.

As before, I guess you will text Janice so we can leave the side gate open (the gate was swinging wide open last time when I got in – please could you make sure it is closed before you go next time).

Thanks

What would you do.

Incidentally I'm pretty thorough on first cleans and I did this one. I doubt what they are saying but in any case I'd have gone back.

If I was you I would just give up and find a new profession, you are clearly rubbish at cleaning windows.
With the prices you "say" you charge and your quality of work, the words yeehaa spring to mind🤠

8weekly

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:31 pm »

Hello!

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

Thanks

What would you do.

If I was you I would just give up and find a new profession, you are clearly rubbish at cleaning windows.
With the prices you "say" you charge and your quality of work, the words yeehaa spring to mind🤠
What prices do I "say" I charge?

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 06:50:40 pm »
Excellent reply to the custard. I would just say FFS to myself and txt them back 'OK'

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 06:52:43 pm »
From another first clean on the same day   ;)

Simon Trapani

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »
Personally I'd take a hit and clean next time for free as a show of goodwill. It's your reputation. How long's it gonna take? 30 minutes?
You can hold your head up then knowing you've done everything reasonably possible to keep them happy.

And note to self also - always charge more for first cleans.

8weekly

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:01 pm »
Personally I'd take a hit and clean next time for free as a show of goodwill. It's your reputation. How long's it gonna take? 30 minutes?
You can hold your head up then knowing you've done everything reasonably possible to keep them happy.

And note to self also - always charge more for first cleans.
We're pushing hard for more work. It does leave you open to this which is why all callers are asked as a first question: "Are you looking for a regular 8 weekly service or a one off clean?" One off cleans get told we're too busy as I'm not interested in them. I may take on whole house fsg & gutters though, but not one off window cleans.

chris turner

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 07:30:17 pm »

Hello!

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

Thanks

What would you do.

I'm just f-ing with you bud, chill.

We've all had these type of customers.
I had one recently that arranged for 8 weekly cleaning, £25. Nice big con on the back. I gave the house and con a right good seeing too, whipped out the magic sponges for all the ground floor sills, chemical clean on all the windows, unger rub out on any hard spots. The place looked like new after approx 1 hour 15 minutes of hard graft.
I got paid by Bacs that evening and a txt saying 'thank you, windows look fantastic'.

I turn up 8 weeks later and the buggers have moved and the house is empty :-X

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 07:34:29 pm »
I had the same except the week after I did the 1st clean, I noticed it was added to right move. She still wants a regular monthly clean  ::)roll

8weekly

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 07:35:31 pm »

Hello!

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

Thanks

What would you do.

I'm just f-ing with you bud, chill.

We've all had these type of customers.
I had one recently that arranged for 8 weekly cleaning, £25. Nice big con on the back. I gave the house and con a right good seeing too, whipped out the magic sponges for all the ground floor sills, chemical clean on all the windows, unger rub out on any hard spots. The place looked like new after approx 1 hour 15 minutes of hard graft.
I got paid by Bacs that evening and a txt saying 'thank you, windows look fantastic'.

I turn up 8 weeks later and the buggers have moved and the house is empty :-X
I had a bad Google review for one of those:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=agleam+windows&oq=agleam+windows&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i60j69i64.5631j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x4876a89b63b00f61:0x9e01c3c840a7d643,1,

I told him what I thought of him. Cleaned a minger and he cancelled as house put on the market and sold before next clean due.

tlwcs

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 07:38:32 pm »
I always text them the price even if it's been discussed face to face.
1st clean/1 off £30
Monthly £15 or
Bimonthly £20
I  generally ask them to discuss it with their partner, or think about it and text me with the frequency they want.  My round is full so I don't need to push and a soft sale works well

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »
A few have learnt that some cleaners aren't interested in doing one off cleans. They also think that its their right to move the goal posts whenever they please.

I think we have to assume that every new customer will be a one off and price the first clean accordingly.  But specify that subsequent cleans are X amount.

You will probably loose that customer once the third clean is done because they may have felt that if they would have to pay 3 times more for the first clean then they might as well get the next 2 for free.

Just expect that they will invent new excuses each time you go there until either one of you calls it quits.

Its all part and parcel of building a business. Canvass, clean and cull - the 3 c's - and that process could happen on the same day.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

chris turner

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 07:59:50 pm »
As spruce says we should all probably charge more for first cleans. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to do it though as I don't want to frighten off potentially good, regular customers.

Stoots

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 08:04:24 pm »
I get this all the time, lot of canvassed work and a lot of messers coming my way, just having to ride the storm and take the hit its all part of the process.

Splash & dash

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »
£25 fior 1 hour 15 that's very cheap

Bungle

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »

Hello!

Thanks,

Mrs Jackson

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

My reply:

Regards,

Steve

Their reply:

Thanks

What would you do.

So it was a £15 job plus VAT?

Probs thought paying VAT on top was a p take.
We look at them, they look through them.

chris turner

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
£25 fior 1 hour 15 that's very cheap

That's my point. If I knew it was a one off the price would have been £50.
She seemed nice, genuine and very keen on a regular service and I was keen on getting the job as it was close to another house I cleaned regularly. So i went ahead with the regular clean price for the first clean as I didn't want to put her off.
Then I got screwed over.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »
never know a first clean to take 3 time longer  :-* :P

8weekly

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:47 pm »
Who rattled your cage.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 08:55:07 pm »
Who rattled your cage.
three times as long and you still damn it up,so that suggest you took same  time as a normal clean

shocking  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 08:06:59 am »
We just charge a slightly higher rate for first clean (when I remember to) but some figures talked on here are ridiculously high.  Maybe you're in London or something. I think you gotta take a slight hit on first cleans but it depends quite how filthy they are. It's the chance you take when trying to grow.
It's hardly the end of the world if you're there 1hr 15mins for £25!

If I get a price I'm happy with for a first clean then I find them quite satisfying.

chris turner

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:10 am »
We just charge a slightly higher rate for first clean (when I remember to) but some figures talked on here are ridiculously high.  Maybe you're in London or something. I think you gotta take a slight hit on first cleans but it depends quite how filthy they are. It's the chance you take when trying to grow.
It's hardly the end of the world if you're there 1hr 15mins for £25!

If I get a price I'm happy with for a first clean then I find them quite satisfying.

When you take into account the time, effort, amount of water of used, chemicals used, fuel to get to the job then £25 felt like a slap in the face.
It was a hit I was willing to take at the time in order for it to be a regular job.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 10:05:40 am »
Sorry Chris I skipped over it & missed the bit about the conny roof & sponges etc. Thought it was just regular pole work.

Yes I would be peeved too. Just one of those things I guess. 

Note to self: Gotta remember a fair first clean price.

chris turner

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 10:35:16 am »
Sorry Chris I skipped over it & missed the bit about the conny roof & sponges etc. Thought it was just regular pole work.

I suppose even adding £5 onto all first clean prices at least covers the chemicals and extra water used to bring the windows up to scratch.
Some really minging first cleans can easily take 2 or 3 times longer and use a similar amount of water.
Most, if not all customers would certainly not be willing to pay 2 or 3 times as much though so we have to compromise, take a little hit but try to find some middle ground that keeps the customer happy and stops us losing out if the customer turns out to be a Messer.

I always thought I was a good reader of people but one thing this business has taught me is that my instincts are often wrong. It's probably best to treat all new customers as Messer's until proven otherwise. Be professional but be cautious, no matter how genuine the customer"may" seem.
Today's society are trained to get the most for nothing and switch services on a whim for a cheaper price.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »
Spot on.

Shrek

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »

I suppose even adding £5 onto all first clean prices at least covers the chemicals and extra water used to bring the windows up to scratch.
Some really minging first cleans can easily take 2 or 3 times longer and use a similar amount of water.
Most, if not all customers would certainly not be willing to pay 2 or 3 times as much though so we have to compromise, take a little hit but try to find some middle ground that keeps the customer happy and stops us losing out if the customer turns out to be a Messer.

I always thought I was a good reader of people but one thing this business has taught me is that my instincts are often wrong. It's probably best to treat all new customers as Messer's until proven otherwise. Be professional but be cautious, no matter how genuine the customer"may" seem.
Today's society are trained to get the most for nothing and switch services on a whim for a cheaper price.

That's very true , on a side note - where can I buy some cheap resin 😂

tlwcs

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »
As spruce says we should all probably charge more for first cleans. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to do it though as I don't want to frighten off potentially good, regular customers.

Hey Chris, I think potentially good reliable customers appreciate there is more work involved in a first clean and expect to pay more. Obviously the glass needs to be perfect after the clean.
If people don't pay extra for my time on the first then they're not the sort of customer I want on my book.
Tony

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:52 am »
if the windows havent been cleaned in years then i always charge more.at least 50% more,usually double.

im at the point where i dont care whether i get a new job or not these days.if i do ,great.if not then i can finish earlier! :)

ive never had a new customer complain on a first clean so i cant comment on 8 weeklys first post.
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »
I didn't think you bothered with small jobs like that these days I would just say I think you need to get someone else jobs like that after the first clean,there is no way you'll be able to turn up clean ticket through door and expect the money to go in withtout some sort of ongoing problems. The less they pay I find the more they won't-expect,I would try and concerntrate on the better paying work if I was you rather than faff about with jobs like that.

ian m

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 03:59:57 pm »
I usually charge extra for a first clean, I explain this to them once they have agreed on a price and cleaning frequency.

When they are signed up and there is lots of goodwill in the air I just say something like " I'll probably need to charge you an extra few pounds first time just to get them up to scratch" 
I can actually work towards gaining the respect of your new customer as it shows them you are experienced.

However X 3 is ripoff and most customers know it too.

I generally charge an extra 50%.

One off cleans are double.

When it is safe to do do I generally work off the ladder and scrape every window off and scrub up the frames with a micro fibre cloth. That way I can walk away with no worries about spots, drips or whatever on those nasty new cleans.
I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

windowswashed

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 07:15:58 pm »
it's easier just to charge double on a first clean if really bad and say price will be whatever the next time around. Just ask if it's a tenancy clean or one off before you start so you minimise being conned thinking it's going to be regular.....ask the right questions before you start to get a feel.

Johnny B

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:33 pm »
Why not treat every first clean as a one off and charge accordingly. Don't mention or ask about frequency until after the job has been done and the delighted customer has paid. Then you could quote your subsequent price for whatever frequency.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:15 pm »
funny how time changes things 25 year ago window cleaners did what they liked with customers, some on here still try and do it , with the influx of new window cleaners every week , all with new vans and pro fitted set ups they have on tick fighting for work  when will the tipping point come when the custmers as all the say ? I think that time is coming quicker then most think it will

Tosh

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2017, 01:06:16 am »
Does that mean you'll be egging more windows?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Og

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:04 am »
Charge double for all cleans!

ian m

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 10:02:59 am »
funny how time changes things 25 year ago window cleaners did what they liked with customers, some on here still try and do it , with the influx of new window cleaners every week , all with new vans and pro fitted set ups they have on tick fighting for work  when will the tipping point come when the custmers as all the say ? I think that time is coming quicker then most think it will

I have seen so many shiny new vans this last 8 months in my area.
Thankfully I am well established with a largely loyal customer base.
I would hate to be just starting up in today's economic climate.
I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

Michael Peterson

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 01:12:06 pm »
Tosh , that is mint lol

NWH

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:32 am »
I think middle aged and above customers are far better for this problem they are more likely to want you on a regular basis in my experience,the younger they are the less they want it doing you have to try and suss them out from the first clean when you've been doing this job long enough you can spot em a mile off,if they are in an area where there are many window cleaners the chances are they've been through all of em.

lee_dewing

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2017, 08:34:36 pm »
Very true NWH.

I rarely do enquiries from my website, my answer phone message states a regular monthly service.

I never answer my phone unless its a contact already in my phone.

Voicemail is nearly always a messer I.e "I need my windows cleaned soon as I'm getting married and will probably have a regular service in the future" 😁

If the customer is local and sounds 50+ I'll give em a ring!

Walk ups are very rarely done there and then I tell em" back next month, there maybe a chance I can slot you in next week. Here's my card, text me later today and I'll be in touch."

I give them a quote example 1st clean 50-100% extra.
£20 job is £30-£40 1st clean.

Alot don't bother getting in touch.

I don't need anymore work but always happy to have a good customer aboard.

Have the odd customer move, die, or rarely they become a messer 😖

Unfortunately there's no way to 100% protect against messers, just bump up the first clean price not too much but cover your ar5e as much as you can.

By fitting new cleans in when suits me and only taking on work near my existing round helps take the sting out of one offs.

I can't be bothered asking walk ups if its regular, voicemail's I get time to ponder if it's wort it.

All good fun😁
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle