This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

P @ F

Re: Your prices please !
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 08:16:43 pm »
There are so many endings to the story , i think we all know that it wont take 5 hours , i am very fussy , and i see that it could be done in far less time , i wouldnt bust a gut to get it done in 2.5 hours , i look at what i want to earn a day and go with that , if i am honest i can see me doing it in 3.5 or 4 hours tops .
But due to the fact that he is a per hour merchant if i said 3 hours he would have then said £50 an hour is too much .
This man wants blood ,sweat and tears for his no doubt inherited money !
I run my biz doing as little as poss for the most i can get , if i have to mill around this job for 5 hours for £150 then so be it , if i had one of those every day what could be easier.
£750 a week is good enough for me , if i did get it done in 2.5 hours i would still go home after anyway , lets not forget that i have a dodgey ticker , and had a stroke 2 years ago ............i am taking it easy man  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

p1w1

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 08:53:11 pm »
yeah fair play to you..

robbo333

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
Sounds like you're better off out of it.
I had a snotty woman in a big house did exactly the same thing (I didn't like her from the outset). She asked a price and then my hourly rate so I told her. She got really irate and said "my husband's a builder and he doesn't earn that". I looked inquisitive and gently said to her "perhaps he should take up window cleaning". Needless to say I left skid marks...
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

P @ F

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 09:02:33 pm »
He is in fact , no different than our usual custie when you came off the ladders and started that brush on a stick nonsense .
Why do i still need to pay you £12 , you are here for less time now ?

Dont tell me im the only one who got that  ;D

Some people just need to see VFM !

P @ F

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »
Sounds like you're better off out of it.
I had a snotty woman in a big house did exactly the same thing (I didn't like her from the outset). She asked a price and then my hourly rate so I told her. She got really irate and said "my husband's a builder and he doesn't earn that". I looked inquisitive and gently said to her "perhaps he should take up window cleaning". Needless to say I left skid marks...

My other half said  " I hope you told him to stick his windows where the sun dont shine "  when i told her  ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 09:20:33 pm »
We would be £150 what ever the frequency on a job like that estimateit would take 2 people about 1 and a half to 2 hours max doing everything including all frames we have several similar to this but smaller mostly 4 or 8 weekly some is national trust properties they are very fussy have to approve the brush type inspect after every clean for paint chipping water ingress etc , your customer sounds a right pain I will not give an hourly rate that's non of there business if they accept your price and a good job is done the time taken is irrelevant, sounds like one to walk away from

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 09:31:07 pm »
We would be £150 what ever the frequency on a job like that estimateit would take 2 people about 1 and a half to 2 hours max doing everything including all frames we have several similar to this but smaller mostly 4 or 8 weekly some is national trust properties they are very fussy have to approve the brush type inspect after every clean for paint chipping water ingress etc , your customer sounds a right pain I will not give an hourly rate that's non of there business if they accept your price and a good job is done the time taken is irrelevant, sounds like one to walk away from
That is pretty much how i try to operate , why does it matter how long it takes , the price is the price , as long as the finished product is as described , thats all that should matter .
I wonder if when he replaces the Jag parked out front he quizes the salesman on build hourly rate , dont think so myself !

Marc Stock

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:52 pm »
I'd say leave it well alone.

It's a £150 job, but it's going to give you £500 of trouble when you have to chase payment from him, and meet his expectations of monitoring if you have met the required slogging your guts out time.

He will probably have someone monitor the time you take and expect you to refund the difference if you did it quicker.

I had a really snotty customer a few years back, I carried on doing the windows despite his light-hearted banter remarks of that's a lot of money for the time spent.

One day before he had a chance to say anything I asked him how his rental property busines is going, it's going very well he said, so I said to him well before you say anything about my prices, you remember every time you celebrate the fact you have been able to increase the rent you charge, you push up the living costs for everyone....including your window cleaning costs. He just smiled and couldn't say anything to that....

Bungle

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 11:44:44 pm »
Hourly rate makes me laugh!

Here's a scenario, paddy turns up to dig a drive up with a pick and shovel, it takes him all day and charges £150. Mick turns up in a JCB to do the same job and it takes him an hour, Mick charges £150 also.

Paddy has bought a shovel and pick costing a total of £20, Mick has bought a JCB costing £20,000.

Now, if Mick was to be paid by the hour he'd be paid around £20 to dig the drive up. Would that make sense to Mick?

The same job has been done for the same price but one of the workers is working smarter. Why should the smarter worker be out of pocket?

@op, I would charge £125 for that job, but I reckon the owner is looking to pay around £60/£75 max by asking your hourly rate and talking of doing it in 5 hours. I reckon he thinks he'd be doing you a favour by paying you £15 an hour. You are the boss of your business not him!
We look at them, they look through them.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:15 am »
ive never had any customer mention an hourly rate!no way would i want to spend 5 hours at £30 an hour as id be taking a pay cut to clean his windows compared to my other work.

i reckon id be done and dusted in 3 hours.id want to earn £45-£50 an hour on bigger jobs like them or else whats the point?he can clearly afford it.some people are really not worth bothering with.im out to make a little money too.

id give him my price take it or leave it and walk away.i couldnt give a feck really if i cant earn at least £45-£50 an hour.
price higher/work harder!

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 06:56:14 am »
Tell him it's 3hrs @ £50 per hour or 5hrs @ £30  with 2 hour break
Spit and polish

Johnny B

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 08:35:24 am »
I would (and do) say if ever asked about my hourly rate, that I don't work that way.

I just take as long as it takes to do the the best job I can, and if it takes me one hour or all day, the price remains the same.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 09:47:55 am »
Tell him it's 3hrs @ £50 per hour or 5hrs @ £30  with 2 hour break

;D ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 09:52:57 am »
Conversations like that are disappointing.

He's gonna be disappointed.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2017, 10:04:01 am »
Conversations like that are disappointing.

He's gonna be disappointed.

i agree.

theres just no pleasing some people no matter how good a job you do.he basically wants you to jump through hoops for your money (you lowly window cleaner!)

P @ F

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 12:06:41 pm »
I agree with pretty much all points above , he will never be satisfied with price or job done no matter how cheap or good it is , nothing will ever be just right for this chap.

With regard to £30 an hour , true its not quite right , its fine but just not there is it , it is however the lowest i like to go , the way i see it is i will be in one place for 5 hours tops and getting £150 .
Or i could be on my usual 12 basic  3 bedders at £12 a pop  and get much the same , with the added grief of moving , chatting .

On Tuesday i did a retirement complex , 5 hours for £220 .....£44 per hour , but its not like that all the time is it ?

I am looking at this new job as a little break from the norm , im not chasing it , but if it comes then i get a day in the country  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
i used to think £30 an hour was brilliant money a few years ago but now im disappointed if i only earn that for an hours work.

8weekly

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 02:32:22 pm »
I agree with pretty much all points above , he will never be satisfied with price or job done no matter how cheap or good it is , nothing will ever be just right for this chap.

With regard to £30 an hour , true its not quite right , its fine but just not there is it , it is however the lowest i like to go , the way i see it is i will be in one place for 5 hours tops and getting £150 .
Or i could be on my usual 12 basic  3 bedders at £12 a pop  and get much the same , with the added grief of moving , chatting .

On Tuesday i did a retirement complex , 5 hours for £220 .....£44 per hour , but its not like that all the time is it ?

I am looking at this new job as a little break from the norm , im not chasing it , but if it comes then i get a day in the country  ;D
I think you'd be mad to do that job.

P @ F

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »

But for what reason , whats sooo wrong ?

8weekly

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 06:54:43 pm »

But for what reason , whats sooo wrong ?
Because you will feel like an idiot dragging out a two hour job to 5 hours to keep him happy.