Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ashbash

employing for first time
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:57 am »
can anyone give me a heads up on employing for the first time

what do i need to do registering wise

what costs is involveis it something that is easy to sort

holiday pay, sick pay etc pay by the hour or day and what happens if they cant work because of weather etc

i been on the government website but i thought it may be easier finding out from guys that do it in the same type of work as me

thanks

Stoots

Re: employing for first time
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:33 pm »
Interested to hear the answers also.

I would have though cost's you can work out though

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:39:07 pm »
I am thinking about this a lot also,  lm considering a part timer to test the water.

How do you get started?

Lee Pryor

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:28 pm »
A good accountant will help you with this. The firm I use has people that advise on all sorts. Failing that there are companies that small business can use for HR services.

Good luck. It's a rough road ahead!
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:01 pm »
All i will say is that there are people that are built to employ and people that are not , i am the later type , i failed because i jumped in too early , did not weigh up the costs , i just went out and got a second van filled it with nice gear and waited for the money to roll in , it did work to some degree but cashflow was soon a problem , plus i took on some right planks !
Back then there was none of this pension nonsense , the government gave me £500 to start then £500 if my man was still in a job after 6 months , longest 6 months of my life that was , it went some way to covering the layout , i reckon i broke even after about 18 months , but by then i had thrown in the towel , i paid too much , was too nice a boss , not really meant to be a boss !
Hence why i am back on my own , working less and earning more than before , i dont do stress these days  ;D

Having said that , you could be the man to do it , just have good cashflow and be prepared for as others have said , a bit of rough before the smooth comes , it will come if its meant to , good luck and dont be a me  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »
All i will say is that there are people that are built to employ and people that are not , i am the later type , i failed because i jumped in too early , did not weigh up the costs , i just went out and got a second van filled it with nice gear and waited for the money to roll in , it did work to some degree but cashflow was soon a problem , plus i took on some right planks !
Back then there was none of this pension nonsense , the government gave me £500 to start then £500 if my man was still in a job after 6 months , longest 6 months of my life that was , it went some way to covering the layout , i reckon i broke even after about 18 months , but by then i had thrown in the towel , i paid too much , was too nice a boss , not really meant to be a boss !
Hence why i am back on my own , working less and earning more than before , i dont do stress these days  ;D

Having said that , you could be the man to do it , just have good cashflow and be prepared for as others have said , a bit of rough before the smooth comes , it will come if its meant to , good luck and dont be a me  ;D

lol

im hoping to give it a try next year (never know if its for you if you dont try) but i think i will be sensible take someone on a couple of days a week and work with a two man system before i go the whole hog of employing someone full time and buying them a new van. Bit daft that would be  :D

Im hoping it will be for me because i dont want to spend the next 30 years of my life getting up to clean windows everyday.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:56 am »

lol

im hoping to give it a try next year (never know if its for you if you dont try) but i think i will be sensible take someone on a couple of days a week and work with a two man system before i go the whole hog of employing someone full time and buying them a new van. Bit daft that would be  :D

Im hoping it will be for me because i dont want to spend the next 30 years of my life getting up to clean windows everyday.

you wont mate.judging by the state of your van and your attitude in general you ll be out of this game in a few years.your hearts not in it.

im hoping i will be fit enough to be cleaning windows for the next 30 years.ill be 75 then so probably time to retire.the guy who i used to work for 25 years ago is still going at 69 and another guy at 71 and both guys look years younger than their age! ;D

as for employing ive had around 80 lads working for me over the years.never again.most were an absolute waste of time.sacked most of them within a week and mates within a few months.i hated every single min of it.
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:56 am »

lol

you wont mate.judging by the state of your van and your attitude in general you ll be out of this game in a few years.your hearts not in it.

im hoping i will be fit enough to be cleaning windows for the next 30 years.ill be 75 then so probably time to retire.the guy who i used to work for 25 years ago is still going at 69 and another guy at 71 and both guys look years younger than their age! ;D

as for employing ive had around 80 lads working for me over the years.never again.most were an absolute waste of time.sacked most of them within a week and mates within a few months.i hated every single min of it.

My vans in a state because I can't really afford to sort it out at the minute and I'm rushed off my feet trying to get through a batch of 50 first cleans I've just had canvassed for me. I might not have a shiny new van on finance or love window cleaning as much as you do but I'm not a quitter.

I've invested almost 10 grand into window cleaning so I don't intend to give up anytime soon.

You are right though, I don't love cleaning windows everyday, some days I love it and some days I think oh no another day. The main thing that gets me down is the weather I find that side of it a bit depressing.

I realise you are happy being a sole trader and the freedom it offers etc and that's great but personally I would feel like not living up to my potential if my aim in life is just to be a window cleaner earning ok money and going through the motions forever.

The thought of still cleaning windows in my 60s makes me feel a bit ill. I want to have retired by then hopefully having a small business working away for me supplying my income.

Im starting to see window cleaning as a great business opportunity rather than a job.

As for employing I've read all the downsides but having been a good employee myself in the past myself (10 years in one job, 5 in another) I know the right people must exist otherwise how would the world work.

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:17 am »
I agree with you adam on some points there, everyone so quick to point out that employing is such hard work and that a real pain etc etc.

But so many seem to be doing it.

I aslo aspire for higher and wouldnt like to clean till l die.

There hardly seems to be any positive advice for people wanting to take the next step, people always seem to focus upon the negative aspects. Surely the positives outweigh?

There are some excellent workers out there, l also was a good employee for many years. Especialy when motivated by bonus's.

It alsmost seems like on here people dont want you to be succesful in ths area? Maybe best looking elsewhere for this type of information??

I do love building my rounds and learning new ways to do things though, lm still enjoying it 7 years in.

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:53 am »
I agree with you adam on some points there, everyone so quick to point out that employing is such hard work and that its a real pain etc etc.

There hardly seems to be any positive advice for people wanting to take the next step, people always seem to focus upon the negative aspects. Surely the positives outweigh?

There are some excellent workers out there, l also was a good employee for many years. Especialy when motivated by bonus's.

It alsmost seems like on here people dont want you to be succesful in ths area? Maybe best looking elsewhere for this type of information??

I do love building my rounds and learning new ways to do things though, lm still enjoying it 7 years in.

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:43:40 am »
I agree with you adam on some points there, everyone so quick to point out that employing is such hard work and that a real pain etc etc.

Its a window cleaning forum for window cleaners so hardly surprising.

Actually it's a  cleaning forum I know but I forget the rest of the site exists.

Its been said before but most of the talk is about what brush etc.  Dont see much on growth, sales and marketting etc. 

I would look on the business forums if that's the side of things that interest you.

Shrek

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 11:11:32 am »

lol

My vans in a state because I can't really afford to sort it out at the minute and I'm rushed off my feet trying to get through a batch of 50 first cleans I've just had canvassed for me. I might not have a shiny new van on finance or love window cleaning as much as you do but I'm not a quitter.

I've invested almost 10 grand into window cleaning so I don't intend to give up anytime soon.

You are right though, I don't love cleaning windows everyday, some days I love it and some days I think oh no another day. The main thing that gets me down is the weather I find that side of it a bit depressing.

I realise you are happy being a sole trader and the freedom it offers etc and that's great but personally I would feel like not living up to my potential if my aim in life is just to be a window cleaner earning ok money and going through the motions forever.

The thought of still cleaning windows in my 60s makes me feel a bit ill. I want to have retired by then hopefully having a small business working away for me supplying my income.

Im starting to see window cleaning as a great business opportunity rather than a job.

As for employing I've read all the downsides but having been a good employee myself in the past myself (10 years in one job, 5 in another) I know the right people must exist otherwise how would the world work.

Your vans full of rubbish and mess because you can't afford to sort it out? How much does it cost to put rubbish in the bin? 

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:15:52 am »

lol

Your vans full of rubbish and mess because you can't afford to sort it out? How much does it cost to put rubbish in the bin?

Obv not the rubbish.

need a new hose reel, generator,  need to build some shelving and Racks etc and water proof it, paint it out, fix the bodywork,tyres, windows.

But well done for picking out the one thing that doesn't cost money.  Picking up half a dozen bottles from my van floor is not going to transform it.

Keep your beak out

Shrek

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 11:26:40 am »
What an embarrassment, you upload a video of your messy van as you call it and then get offended from my response .
And you wonder why you don't get walk ups .... your van says a lot about you ,  that's your main selling point , it's what everyone sees as your driving around and when you park up , potential customers look at it. Maybe you need a role model

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:15 pm »

Its a window cleaning forum for window cleaners so hardly surprising.

Actually it's a  cleaning forum I know but I forget the rest of the site exists.

Its been said before but most of the talk is about what brush etc.  Dont see much on growth, sales and marketting etc. 

I would look on the business forums if that's the side of things that interest you.

There's plenty on here about growth sales and marketing and most if not all on here enjoy a success story, that said people
who come on looking praise because they think they're better than others usually get a frosty reception.
As for employing its not rocket science, as long as you can cover the wages and expenses and have enough left over to make it worth while then that's half the battle, find as good employee who will do a decent days work and the battles won.

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 12:59:02 pm »
What an embarrassment, you upload a video of your messy van as you call it and then get offended from my response .
And you wonder why you don't get walk ups .... your van says a lot about you ,  that's your main selling point , it's what everyone sees as your driving around and when you park up , potential customers look at it. Maybe you need a role model

The only embarrassment would be you having a go at someone when they say they cant afford to fix their van and come up with a smart ass comment. I uploaded a video of my van messsy at the end of a busy day for a laugh, im not offended at all, it really matters very little what my current circumstances are because it wont be this way forever..I dont get many walk ups because theres so many cleaners about not many houses are without one round here. I dont think potential customers have x ray vision to see the inside of my van, it looks perfectly fine from outside...yes it does say a lot, its says ive been busy, my hose reel has broke and ive got other prioritys at the moment than spending money on my van...no its not my main selling point, dont talk daft...Yes people see it and it looks fine, as mentioned people can see inside, potential custies look at it..yes weve established that.

duncan h

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 01:02:03 pm »

lol

Who did you get to canvas Adam? Was in Yan by any chance

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »

lol

Who did you get to canvas Adam? Was in Yan by any chance

Who or what is Yan ?

Kapre do my canvassing, it the 4th time ive used them now.

ashbash

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:09 pm »
lads can you set up another post for your girly moaning. my 9 year old girl throws less drama at me  ;D ;D

is there any danger of anyone throwing a few facts around with regard to procedure of registering then, holiday entitlement, cover when of sick or bad wether, different methods of payment, day rate hour rate ete etc

i asked on here as i thought it would be good to get an idea of guys in the know

im not worried if you employed and they ripped  you of,  stole your work, knocked up your missis etc i just wanted to know the procedure.

8weekly

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
My own view is that they need to produce three times their salary every day. It is a huge intrusion into your home life unless you rent a unit which means more costs. If you aren't able to do that and pay a decent salary with decent conditions you will fail. In the south £80-£100 a day.

Almost every day there's something that I don't like done (job skipped through parking access etc.), so it can be stressful. VAT is a pig.

If I worked on my own I could clear £400 every day by dumping all the lower paid stuff (this will be called BS but it's true), lose the unit, probably the VAT as well as two salaries and a certain amount of stress and I'd probably be happier in many ways, BUT I'm 54 this year and am thinking about the future so looking to grow from current 3 vans to about 5/6.

ashbash

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »
great stuff 8 weekly, thanks

i do employ 2 guys  on a self employed basis. i know this is not  the right way to do it  and thats why i am currently changing it over.   what is involved in employing for the first time.  Do i just register them online and then away they go.  i share a unit with another window cleaning firm.  the 2 guys currently working for me  earn a similar figure to the one you mentioned.

8weekly

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 03:05:27 pm »
great stuff 8 weekly, thanks

i do employ 2 guys  on a self employed basis. i know this is not  the right way to do it  and thats why i am currently changing it over.   what is involved in employing for the first time.  Do i just register them online and then away they go.  i share a unit with another window cleaning firm.  the 2 guys currently working for me  earn a similar figure to the one you mentioned.
My wife did it. But you need to register as an employer on HMRC website and they do have tools for free for salaries and things, but we now use Sage which is much quicker and about £5 a month.

Don't forget if you employ that they will get paid for 28 days when they won't be doing any work - holidays.

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:35 am »

lol

the thing is adam being a window cleaner is just a little  part of who i am.im not JUST a window cleaner if you know what i mean.im also not "just going through the motions".its a steady occupation with good money which always improves every year.lots of freedom and very low stress.

do you know how much i earned this week for 4 and a half days work on my own?over £1100.to me thats fantastic money and i can live on it very comfortably.why would i even want to employ with all the hassle that goes along with it?

.....and every day...every week...every month.....every year im honing and refining my work to make it a bit better and more profitable(like ive been doing for years)

i like familiarity,routine and order in my working life.i cant handle stressful situations very well and i like to be in control so window cleaning is perfect for me.

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:00 am »
im already living the dream. a steady low stress well paid job for life(health permitting of course)with reasonable hours.how many people can say they ve got that?

Dry Clean

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 11:36:38 am »
im already living the dream. a steady low stress well paid job for life(health permitting of course)with reasonable hours.how many people can say they ve got that?

Dazmond you have to be on something and what ever that is I want it. lol.

Stoots

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:20 am »

I understand that mate. But on the flip side what of you were sick or can't work you don't get any money. With a team it's likely you have cover or can get cover. Also yes you might be able to work say 4 days a week for a grand (for example) but you are still trading 4 days or your week as opposed to building a system where other people earn you the grand a week and maybe you work 1-2 days a week or even 0 days a week cleaning wimdows which would free uo your time to maybe look into another business opportunity or make money to invest in something else. Etc.

There pros and cons to both, honestly I'm not sure which way I will prefer. Like you say earning a decent wedge in 3-4 days with minimum stress is a good way to live but it's not the only way.

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 08:10:34 am »

I understand that mate. But on the flip side what of you were sick or can't work you don't get any money. With a team it's likely you have cover or can get cover. Also yes you might be able to work say 4 days a week for a grand (for example) but you are still trading 4 days or your week as opposed to building a system where other people earn you the grand a week and maybe you work 1-2 days a week or even 0 days a week cleaning wimdows which would free uo your time to maybe look into another business opportunity or make money to invest in something else. Etc.

There pros and cons to both, honestly I'm not sure which way I will prefer. Like you say earning a decent wedge in 3-4 days with minimum stress is a good way to live but it's not the only way.

im not saying its the only way adam but its right for me.employing was  a PITA.I prefer to keep it simple and work by myself.if im ill obviously i dont work but ive built up an emergency fund which will see me ok financially for at least 6 months with no earnings.

no burning ambition or desire here mate.im just your average guy whos happy to lead a simple life without the hassle of employing.(good luck to the ones that do though)