This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

Should i be kind?
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:40:39 am »
So the last 10 quotes i've probably handed out at full price got all of them.  Did a quote yesterday, nice looking cottage in a semi rural area.  Woman wasnt home.  Looked at windows and thought right £12 house charge £14 4 weekly £16 8 weekly just because its slightly awkward to get too got to go down small farm track, it is near to another house i do though.

She texts back next day.  Im sorry i just cant afford that im a single mum with 2 kids its a little too much ill have to clean myself.

Usually i'd be like fine yep on to the next person.  This time i text back and said, what would you be happy to pay?  She said £10 8 weekly she could afford.

Im torn, theres a part of me saying jog on i aint lowering my price for you for less profit but then another part of me saying i rarely give discounts every now and then aint too bad is it....

What would you do??

Should i be kind or will that be my downfall and i will end up with a total messer whos a nightmare  ;D ;D

Tosh

Re: Should i be kind?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:54:39 am »
Why did you text back asking what she could afford?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

gto

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:58:31 am »
no. they don't notice if its awkward for you.

i was dumped recently by one, that i had given a discount to because it was £45 and she had it done regularly,i her know night before
but then it turned into, i am not in that day can you do the day after, or i am out just the front. or can you do it early.
this is a big double bay terace 3 storey, with 3 flats inside, not that hard.
but you have to do the front then pack up and drive 1/2 a mile round to the back, park in a dodgy lane and drag your hose though the cat pee smelling 100ft garden.
then randomly i got. one of the flats recomended a window cleaner so i am going to try them.

p1w1

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:16:54 am »
One of my pet hates is when you go to quote and they say things like that (i'm a single mum, I'm only a pensioner) Well i'm a family man with a mortgage and bills to pay and a business to keep afloat.
Years ago (just before the london olympics) i was asked to quote a pressure washing job and a full conservatory clean & window clean for a couple in a 5 bedroom bungalow, as they were having  some of the French swimming team to practice in one of those swimming pools that create current that they had in a corner of the garden. It was a large area (about 2 days work) they had a huge garden with a pond the size of your normal garden in it.
He explained everything he wanted doing and was looking for a cost to do it and finished of with the line"bear in mind were only pensioners".  ::)roll

G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:23 am »
Why did you text back asking what she could afford?
That's what I thought.
Be kind, by all means, but don't ask her what would she pay.
If you want the job, jo5hm4n, do £10 worth of windows every 8 weeks and let her sort the rest out.
Or alternate the windows cleaned over 8 weeks for £10.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 12:06:56 pm »
Personally I think the moment you give the customer control, you've lost!!  Because if she gets (or any customer for that fact) what she wants then she can at will, change things expecting you to follow suit.

If you wanted to be kind, then be kind on your own terms. Weve all done it, myself included and sometimes its paid off. I have one old dear who I felt for and gave a slightly lower price. Shes got me 6 more jobs at full price in the area, so a win win.
But do it on your terms.
Say Ok every 8 weeks but due to my own commitments I can only reduce it to £  and see ehat she comes back with. But your in control mate.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:12:27 pm »
Why would she be given special treatment when I suspect that the vast majority of your regular, loyal customers haven't?

I would say thank you for your enquiry and leave her to it.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

andyM

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:17:46 pm »
If anyone asks me to lower the price I just tell them I can't lower the price but I will knock the VAT off!?
Most don't seem to notice they have been bamboozled and happily accept.
One of the Plebs

jk999

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 12:53:31 pm »
Tell her that you can do just glass for a tenner not frames and she has to clean her own sills

Steven Biggs

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 12:59:37 pm »
Tell her to get the other £6 off the father of the kids .

p1w1

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 01:05:40 pm »
Put it this way you can do her the favour of dropping your price and "be kind" but i bet you anything she would drop you like a hat if she gets an even cheaper quote at some point in the future. Use your experienced windy senses on this one . I would also be thinking if my last 10 quotes have all been accepted maybe i'm still a bit too cheap anyway, If i was doing 10 quotes i would expect to  get 6 maybe 7 of them.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
she ll turn into a messer.no doubt about it if you take her on.i would of said my price is my price.end of.defo not text her and say "how much are you willing to pay?" ::)roll

i had a regular customer ask me to clean her glass conny roof the other day.i said "no problem i can fit you in monday afternoon as i have one to clean just round the corner from you in the morning.£80 i charge".she said cant you do it cheaper?nope.she said she ll have to consult her husband.i told her itll take a couple of hours and their hard work.(its minging and never been cleaned)itll take around 90 mins in reality from pulling up to driving away as i can pole it from next doors flat roof but im not cleaning it for a cheaper price.i really dont care whether i get the job or not.

on the other hand i also have a old  customer whos struggling with his health and i only clean his windows once a year now(he used to be a regular customer for 15 years till he retired).ill also get my ladders out and fix his downspout/gutter at the back.hes a really nice chap.ill be glad to help the old boy out. :)
price higher/work harder!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
Just stick to your guns. You're a business not a charity.   If she can't afford rural prices how can she afford rural property prices ?

I had one exactly the same last month come through. I stick to my guns saying sorry but it would not be worth me coming all the way out to your property.  Also said if you want cheap and cheerful then i'm not your man as I focus on quality.

Two days later she comes back agreeing to my price.   And guess what? Brand new range rover and a jag on the property.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 01:37:27 pm »
i just say "its not my ambition to be the cheapest window cleaner in the village anymore!ive been there and done that and i ended up in serious debt!thats my price.take it or leave it luv!" :)
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 02:59:32 pm »
Think ive posted this one before. But I had a chap try to barter the price down saying he only worked part time and had family to look after etc.
My reply was simple.
" mate I wish I could work part time and have a merc and a bmw on my drive too!)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

davids3511

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 04:40:52 pm »
What does she look like?  ;D
Gold understands!

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 07:46:25 pm »
Depends, i do one for a tenner that should be 15, she wouldnt pay 15, nor would she pay 12 lol... mind you her last cleaner did it for £6 so can you blame her? ...but i clean next doors and the one opposite, im parked there anyway and already have the hose out, it takes about 20 mins, its not the end of the world to do it for a few quid less in that situation. Judge these things on there own merits imo its not always black and white.

paul alan

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »
So the last 10 quotes i've probably handed out at full price got all of them.  Did a quote yesterday, nice looking cottage in a semi rural area.  Woman wasnt home.  Looked at windows and thought right £12 house charge £14 4 weekly £16 8 weekly just because its slightly awkward to get too got to go down small farm track, it is near to another house i do though.

She texts back next day.  Im sorry i just cant afford that im a single mum with 2 kids its a little too much ill have to clean myself.

Usually i'd be like fine yep on to the next person.  This time i text back and said, what would you be happy to pay?  She said £10 8 weekly she could afford.

Im torn, theres a part of me saying jog on i aint lowering my price for you for less profit but then another part of me saying i rarely give discounts every now and then aint too bad is it....

What would you do??

Should i be kind or will that be my downfall and i will end up with a total messer whos a nightmare  ;D ;D
I get the feeling you wouldnt mind doing it!

I say if l like the person then l dont mind doing favours within reason. Im a believer in like attracts like so if you do a good deed it will come back to you. If you feel she realy cant afford it and isnt taking you for a soft spot and your there already then what have you got to lose? Even if she starts to mess about and if the jobs underpriced anyway you still cant lose.

Look at it as speculating to accumulate, the universe will pay you back at some point.

If shes genuine and struggling to bring up two kids your doing her a favour.

Theres some hard faced buggers on here, dont get me wrong l always earn my crust but you know who can afford to pay top wack and who to ease off on a little.

Do what makes you feel good.

Bungle

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
Does she want extras?
We look at them, they look through them.

paul alan

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
Does she want extras?
A step dad with a good job?