This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonny 87

Re: going back to SLX 25s for main day to day window cleaning!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
you ve obviously not seen the size of my shoulders mate(im a bodybuilder too)! ;D

i doubt the slx poles will "kill me".your body naturally gets used to whatever poles your using.i will be using the extreme/ultimate brushes mainly and carbon goosenecks for some work.

Nothing to do with how much weight you can lift!

I'm at the gym aswell and that really helps, but it's rsi in your shoulders and rotator cuffs that is damage you never can really undo. The added flex and weight at 20feet high is what can do it over time.

I'm 30 this year and been wfp window cleaning my whole working life, and I plan to make my working day as easy as possible.

Extreme poles, electric reels etc.

About 4 years ago I was using slx poles and getting niggles in my shoulders, couldn't even bench press or do incline dumbells at the gym without a sharp pain. That was a wake up call, and since switching to extreme poles my shoulders have been fine since.

The amount of guys I see getting to there 50's and there shoulders fall apart and stop them from working is crazy!

If your in it for the long term then your shoulders will be the part of your body that lets us down.

It's worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

jonboywalton75

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »
Best pole is slx section 1&2, extreme 3,4 &5.

I like it
Mix and match

jonboywalton75

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »

ive never thought of that.cheers mate.i could cobble together something like that  from my "pole graveyard"i think. ;)

You mean your pole  MUSEUM Daz!!!
You'll have  the most valuable collection in christendom

NWH

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »
I don't ever extend mine to the yellow or red bands when you do this it will weaken quicker and would be more likely to snap under tension,they last a lot longer if you do this it may mean you need to extend a section to reach slightly higher but it will make the pole last longer

robbo333

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 04:09:10 pm »
I snapped 3 sections from my old xtreme v2. Ended up buying a new xtreme 22 and you have to treat it gently. I've got knackered elbows so no choice really. (or I could build a round trading bungalows!).  Anyway I don't shut windows any more, just clean them open and be a bit careful. Still got my old slx 22 (ole faithful).
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

davids3511

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »

I like it
Mix and match

You get best of both worlds, most of the weight is in the bigger sections and it's 1&2 that go the most so go with cheap (ish)SLX sections that will be cheaper to replace, not much heavier and still rigid.

How are you keeping by the way?

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
you ve obviously not seen the size of my shoulders mate(im a bodybuilder too)! ;D

i doubt the slx poles will "kill me".your body naturally gets used to whatever poles your using.i will be using the extreme/ultimate brushes mainly and carbon goosenecks for some work.

I'm at the gym aswell and that really helps, but it's rsi in your shoulders and rotator cuffs that is damage you never can really undo. The added flex and weight at 20feet high is what can do it over time.

I'm 30 this year and been wfp window cleaning my whole working life, and I plan to make my working day as easy as possible.

About 4 years ago I was using slx poles and getting niggles in my shoulders, couldn't even bench press or do incline dumbells at the gym without a sharp pain. That was a wake up call, and since switching to extreme poles my shoulders have been fine since.

The amount of guys I see getting to there 50's and there shoulders fall apart and stop them from working is crazy!

If your in it for the long term then your shoulders will be the part of your body that lets us down.

jonny im 15 years older than you and never had the shoulder problems you ve had mate!(been window cleaning 24 years this year)

some of us are just made of stronger stuff!(a bit like slx poles! ;D ;D ;D)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »
does anyone know dai on here?he s in his seventies and using slx poles.if he can use them then anyone can!i think he s still using a trolley and barrels too!(not that ill be going back to that though) ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 06:24:03 pm »

jonny im 15 years older than you and never had the shoulder problems you ve had mate!(been window cleaning 24 years this year)

some of us are just made of stronger stuff!(a bit like slx poles! ;D ;D ;D)

;D

Mayb I just work harder.  8)

I might potentially have another 40 years of window cleaning ahead of me so I'm going to look after myself as best I can.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Simon Trapani

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 10:11:04 pm »
The clue's in the title for me...'Extreme' is for extreme use not an everyday domestic pole.

The SLX is the right balance IMO for weight to wear ratio.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 11:35:59 pm »
Are the new van payments biting Daz? ;D
Comfortably Numb!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 01:34:49 am »

I like it
Mix and match

You get best of both worlds, most of the weight is in the bigger sections and it's 1&2 that go the most so go with cheap (ish)SLX sections that will be cheaper to replace, not much heavier and still rigid.

Great for a 60 year old crock
Did you get into franchising?

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 08:02:29 am »
Are the new van payments biting Daz? ;D

no not at all.ive put my prices up which covers my monthly van lease payments mate. :)

when you snap 2 sections of a £550 pole(thats not been used much either) in the space of a month and nearly damage a customers window in the process(which follows snapping a section of another xtreme pole on the 4th jan)you tend to get a bit miffed. >:( ;D

dazmond

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 08:09:24 am »
I don't ever extend mine to the yellow or red bands when you do this it will weaken quicker and would be more likely to snap under tension,they last a lot longer if you do this it may mean you need to extend a section to reach slightly higher but it will make the pole last longer

what do you do when you need all 25ft of your main pole regularly? (at least a few times a day)i do.

Jonny 87

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:38 am »

what do you do when you need all 25ft of your main pole regularly? (at least a few times a day)i do.

Have an extreme 22 for everyday, a 30 for any taller windows, and 47 for high stuff.

The compact length of a 22 is great compared to the 25.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 08:21:04 am »
unfortunately jonny i cant get away with using a 22 footer as an every day pole.it comes up short on quite a few jobs and id waste time getting another pole out for the odd window here and there.25ft is perfect.also i dont always like to fully extend each section to reach a window(its more rigid that way).

NWH

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:14 am »
If you must shut windows with it then it upside down and use the butt end to do it that's what I do and no issues.

davids3511

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 12:06:18 pm »

I like it
Mix and match

Great for a 60 year old crock
Did you get into franchising?
You're never 60, no way! Franchisings good, training no 3 up this week. Out on his own next week for first time. Good to hear you're well.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 02:36:53 pm »
Hijack thread warning 😃

60 last feb
Youngest son getting married in July
Both kids still fleecing me
Part time now, slowly winding down to retirement at 67!!!!
Sold loads of work
Still ticking over
You younguns need to be expanding, glad you're doing well
Franchising sounds better than employing
BTW, ever since I held your slx I've bought a few, best decision ever, thanks for the tip, I think it was back in 2010
Cu around, although I think the nearest i  get to your patch is Grappenhall

davids3511

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2017, 03:58:23 pm »
Hijack thread warning 😃

60 last feb
Youngest son getting married in July
Both kids still fleecing me
Part time now, slowly winding down to retirement at 67!!!!
Sold loads of work
Still ticking over
You younguns need to be expanding, glad you're doing well
Franchising sounds better than employing
BTW, ever since I held your slx I've bought a few, best decision ever, thanks for the tip, I think it was back in 2010
Cu around, although I think the nearest i  get to your patch is Grappenhall
I had an enquiry over that way last week. I'll dig it out if you're interested? I've a 15 year old, he's costly right now but i think the worst is yet to come. Can't believe that was 7 years ago we met up.

Franchising is good, it pays alot less than employing but much less stress. I'm trying to cut back myself, want to finish 3.30ish most days. For a while window cleaning took over, was struggling to manage everything. Put off price increases for to long which didn't help. We should meet up for a coffee one day you're in grappenhall. Let me how a bit in advance and I'll put my lymm work on same day if you fancy it.