Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul-kent

off the shelf pole lube ptfe spray
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:20:12 pm »
I know the title is going to get a few rude responses but my slx is badly worn and needs a good service

hank jr

Re: off the shelf pole lube ptfe spray
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 09:29:25 pm »
My SLX is the same. Black carbon all over my hands ( have to wear gloves)

Paul-kent

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:29:54 pm »
all the sections are spinning so im going the cut a inch off each section then re glue the clamps and replace the worn nuts ect

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 12:12:28 am »
all the sections are spinning so im going the cut a inch off each section then re glue the clamps and replace the worn nuts ect

Depending on the size of the pole if it’s that bad why not just buy a new one ?? Not worth the time or expense they are quite a cheap pole anyway

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 06:53:39 am »

I would take it apart, wash it out thoroughly and spray a couple of light coats of engine lacquer on the outside of each section after its dried. Then let to harden/dry overnight. Reassemble in the morning with new tape - if it uses tape.

It makes the world of difference.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spotfree

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 08:05:24 am »
Been getting black hands off the 18 extreme, I put a couple of coats of ptfe on it yesterday. I couldn't get the sections to come fully apart though? They seemed to be stuck on the yellow tape, how best to get them out without causing any damage?

Although I have put ptfe on I would still prefer to lacquer.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:25:16 pm »
Been getting black hands off the 18 extreme, I put a couple of coats of ptfe on it yesterday. I couldn't get the sections to come fully apart though? They seemed to be stuck on the yellow tape, how best to get them out without causing any damage?

Remove the clamp lever and carefully wedge a flat screwdriver into the jaws of the clamp to open it up a little.

Spotfree

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:52:27 pm »

Remove the clamp lever and carefully wedge a flat screwdriver into the jaws of the clamp to open it up a little.
Thanks mate

zesty

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:35:52 am »

I would take it apart, wash it out thoroughly and spray a couple of light coats of engine lacquer on the outside of each section after its dried. Then let to harden/dry overnight. Reassemble in the morning with new tape - if it uses tape.

Spruce have you got a link to the engine lacquer you use?

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 12:38:48 pm »
Yeah , mines getting a bit loose too , I normally use the bog standard Halfords lacquer but I assume engine stuff would be tougher
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

mufcglen

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 07:37:12 pm »

As above really undo the clamps and carefully pry the clamp apart, you’ll find the end of each pole absolutely thick of carbon dust and dirt if you’ve never cleaned it before, I personally strip all the tape off each pole, wash each section down and throughout then dry them retape them and dry ptf spray them all and reassemble.

Also If you’ve got sections spinning and thinking about cutting down the pole I’d really recommend the phantom clamps for £70 a set for a 22 size pole, they bolt right on and I can say after 2 weeks of using them I’ve not had any carbon come back as quick on my hands yet so they must be less wearing on the shaft with they’re softer rubber inserts compared to the harder plastic insides of the likes of the smart clamps.
I’ve only had my xtreme22 just over 14 months and it was slipping like mad on 1-2 sections and these phantom clamps have sorted all that.
Was only buying the phantom clamps just to see what all the raving about them was and I’m impressed only ever using gardiner poles.
I’m still going to order an xtreme 22 in the next month or so though, I’d like to hope gardiner have some sort of new clamp along these lines though with a softer insert!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 09:51:01 pm »

Or your thumb. Hurts like hell though especially when you got soft window cleaners hands!

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 09:01:49 am »

Spruce have you got a link to the engine lacquer you use?

The best engine lacquer I've used was supplied by Gunk. Its doesn't seem to be available any longer.

My last coating was Autotek VHT clear which seems pretty good.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Autotek%2DVHT%2DClear%2DLacquer%2DAerosol%2D1%2DX%2D500ml%2DGloss%2DHigh%2DTemp%2DPaint/1688630154?iid=283277998694#UserReviews

The trouble is that engine lacquers are 'going out of fashion'.  No one sprays their engines with clear lacquer these days.

I tried Simoniz acrylic lacquer but it wasn't as good as clear engine lacquer but much better than the Halfords clear lacquer Halfords recommended as the best thing since sliced bread.

CleanClear

*Status*--------Currently Online---------